PHIL232 Essay questions (1 Viewer)

Belinda

O_o
HSC
I doubt anyone here is doing PHIL232, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Can anyone post up the essay questions due this Thursday? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Dont have the faintest idea sorry... the closest someone would be to phil is Jamie (Cyan Phoenix), but he's not here.

Try googling for it: "site:mq.edu.au Phil232 essay 2005" or something along those lines... Do they have WebCT?

Good luck :)

Belinda

O_o
HSC
I've looked around it's not there. They have the first half semester essay question in ereserve, but oddly enough not the final essay questions. Meh. Thanks anyway. :)

iwannarock

HSC
i did phil232 this semester.

but i dropped it after one lecture. and from cyan's view of the subject........probably a good thing i did.

good luck with it!

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
OMG, somebody that also does phil232! first of all, this essay is really pissing me off (and given the last test, the subject as a whole is pissing me off), you can read about my bitching of phil232 in another thread :)

as for the questions, they arent on the web, but ill write them down here:

1) Quantum mechanics conflicts with our intuitve understanding of the reality of the physical world. It supports, in short, anti-realism. Critically discuss.

2) Dawkins argues that the unit of selection is the gene. Do you agree? Support your position with argument.

3) Genes are the only biological unit that the theory of evolution requires. Critically discuss with reference to either 1) the reality of higher levels of organisaiton or 2) biological reductionism

4)Churchland argues that belief-talk should be replaced by brain talk. Dennett, on the other hand, argues that BELIEF talk reveals real patterns in the world. Which view do you find more persuasive? support your position with argument

*Note = sheet says that BELIEF = BRAIN, but it should be BELIEF.

5) The mind can be compeltley reduced to brain functions. Critically discuss with reference to Churchland's and/or Dennett's position on psychological explanations

6)CHOOSE YOUR OWN QUESTION, but it must be approved by mitch before hand or it gets ZERO.

good luck!
I... don't actually do the subject, I'm helping someone who doesn't have the questions. ^^; But thank you so much for typing up the questions! Best of luck to you!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
iwannarock said:
i did phil232 this semester.

but i dropped it after one lecture. and from cyan's view of the subject........probably a good thing i did.

good luck with it!
i honestly wish i had taken something else. I loved 1st year philosophy, but overall i have not really enjoyed this one. We had two dodgy tests and this essay is really frustrating me. Its a shame it was my last (bitter) taste of philosophy (because next 2 years are all core psych).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)