phenotype experiment (1 Viewer)

zeinab7691

HSC
i just did an experiment for the effect of the enviromnemt on the phentoype. i grew lentil seeds, which is quite like wheat grass. After like a week, the ones in light grew green, healty, and the ones in shade grew white thin and very very tall, much taller than the ones in sun. Iv read that this is a result of PHOTOPERIODISM. Is this right.? cause i hav to discuss why its taller in my discussion? please help. can some on please explain what photoperiodism means in a simple way, cause its so confusing?

Last edited:

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
hi i did one similar to u
but pretty much its due to photosynthesis in my own opinion
because the light enables photosynthesis to happen thus the plant gets sugars, the sugars are used to grow :)

xxJTxx

HSC
if i remember anything about bio..why didnt you use the typical hydrangeas to do this experiment? clear results tht way..

Angelz.sing

HSC
N/A
zeinab7691 said:
i just did an experiment for the effect of the enviromnemt on the phentoype. i grew lentil seeds, which is quite like wheat grass. After like a week, the ones in light grew green, healty, and the ones in shade grew white thin and very very tall, much taller than the ones in sun. Iv read that this is a result of PHOTOPERIODISM. Is this right.? cause i hav to discuss why its taller in my discussion? please help. can some on please explain what photoperiodism means in a simple way, cause its so confusing?

oo i remember this

you don't have to mention photperiodism/not in syllabus
and the reason they grew taller is because they used up all the starch supply in the seeds because they were starving.

Last edited:

zinc

HSC
I learnt that when a plant doesn't have enough light it grows tall and thin to try and reach light. (because in nature usually if plants grow higher they can reach the light not like in the expmt where you made sure it couldn'tget light. I havent heard about photoperiodism but i learnt that when a plant grows thin and pale due to lack of light its called etiolation

Dare

HSC
Lol. My class did a similar experiment.

We each potted two pots of Rye grass seeds, and fertilised one of them and not the other.

The expected results were that effect of environment [the fertiliser] would mean the phenotype of the fertilised grass would be better [healthier, larger, stronger]

However, a different feature of the environment intervened. Rats ate the grass with the fertiliser, and so our results showed that the more nutrient rich the Rye grass was, the worse it grew.

Teacher was like "Damn..."

But it worked out anyway. Considering the Rats were a feature of the environment.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Gosh! We haven't done this experiment and we're half way through the 3rd module already! how ludicrous!

I think the hydrangeas are of pretty good use.

Hey, I like that rat! haha

cherry1991

HSC
for my bio assignment i actually have to find a wirrten experiement already done by someone else
its hard to find the actual detail

jeff.wong

HSC
cherry1991 said:
for my bio assignment i actually have to find a wirrten experiement already done by someone else
its hard to find the actual detail
Is this what you are looking for?
Identify data sources and perform a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of environment on phenotype

Aim: To demonstrate the effect of environment on phenotype using plant height.

Hypothesis: The control groups will have taller plants due to the ideal conditions.

Method:
  • Plant 20 wheat plants.
  • Use 10 as the control group, giving them the optimum conditions of light, water, nutrients, pests and diseases.
  • Allow the experimental plants (other 10) to grow under conditions that only vary in the amount of light available, leaving all other variables constant.
  • Record the heights after 2 weeks.

Results:

Control group height in cm
Experimental group height in cm
Average height = 53.4 cm
Average height = 31.6 cm

Risk assessment:
o Plants should be sensibly located so that there is no chance of injury from pots falling.
o Leather shoes should be worn to protect feet.
o Gloves should be worn to protect against infection from organisms in the soil.

Conclusion:
The results strongly support the hypothesis and demonstrate that the environment has had an effect on the phenotype of the plants.

That's my 2008 experiment.

Edit: The table looks screwed here ><

cherry1991

HSC
yes! but i need an experiment like that which has been performed by a scientist? or plant thing? like i just need to copy one and then anaylse it but it needs to be from somewhere... do u get me?

cherry1991

HSC
hmmmm ill look on the internet for an experiment like yours?

jeff.wong

HSC
cherry1991 said:
hmmmm ill look on the internet for an experiment like yours?
zzz O my bad, guess some research is needed. Maybe look for the scientists that did research on twins. [identical twins] Theres heaps of that where scientist show environment's impact on phenotypes.

cherry1991

HSC
yea im really interested in how flamingos feather colour is determined by what they eat. thats an environmental effect.

i also need to find a plant experiment, ill look at maybe corn

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Ahh i remember this experiment... I did the effects of different soil types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)