PhB/BSc at ANU question (1 Viewer)

Ishynooshy

HSC
I've been contemplating going to the ANU for the last six months or so after I found out about the PhB course in science, which has to be my 'dream' course at the moment. However, I don't thinkI can get the marks for it, unless I completely ace my trials and final exams.

My question is if there are opportunites to transfer into this course, after a year in say BSc (Adv)(Hons), also at ANU. A UAI of 95 seems are more realistic than 99 atm.

It might be a bit early in the year for this question, but I just want to keep my options open as I do a bit more research about what other courses are available.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I know two people who've transferred into the Phb Arts programme. Both were arts/law students and would have obtained a HD average in arts and a distinction average in law. Both would have had UAIs at around the 99 mark. However, I don't even know whether you can transfer into the Phb Science programme after a year of study.

I'm saying this in the nicest possible way, but if you can't get a UAI of 99.x, you probably wouldn't be able to maintain the HD average, which is very, very hard to do. My only advice to you is to be extremely conscientious and aim for a high UAI. On the flipside, from memory the Bsci(Hons) degree is still quite good, you just miss out on the support, some of the summer projects and the celebrity treatment which comes with being a Phb kid.

Ishynooshy

HSC
I've still got another two exams this week and I probably wont be getting my UAI estimate for another month at least- see how it goes.

99 isnt an impossiblilty for me, I'm just not working at my full potential simply because of the lack of constant motivation. (Maybe I need to get a mentor or something?)

And thanks for being blunt about the issue, appreciate it.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I've known quite a few people to transfer into PhB Science from BSc(Adv). Like Neo said, you'll need to get an HD average in your first year, which will mean working your arse off - and you'll want to get more than just an 80 average, more likely around 85-90, which is a LOT of work. The people I know who've transferred into PhB have gotten around 85 averages in their first year and had a UAI of 97-98.

Ishynooshy

HSC
omg...thanks for that info. Some hope that I can get into the course if I dont get in with my UAI.

Just thought of another question. If you do transfer to the PhB after starting the BSc(adv) does that in any way put you behind in the amount you have to then catch up on? If it does put you behind how hard you it be to catch up?

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
It just means you have to cram more Advanced Studies Courses into fewer semesters. Doesn't make that much of a difference.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I had a UAI of 98, and didn't even apply for the PhB. However, my marks in first semester were good enough that I got offered into the program, which I accepted. It was good having a semester where I just worked as hard as I wanted to be happy with how I did and not have to worry about the HD average. I then did an ASC in 2nd semester, and ended up completing them a semester early (with a summer scholarship though). If you're good enough to keep up the HD average then you'll be able to get the marks and be able to transfer.

Ishynooshy

HSC
My travel plans are getting in the way of my application to the PhB. When do they start giving out invitations for interviews? Maybe I can fit in a bit of travel between then...

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
My travel plans are getting in the way of my application to the PhB. When do they start giving out invitations for interviews? Maybe I can fit in a bit of travel between then...
I think they only interview people who're on the fringe. I don't know anyone who was interviewed actually...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)