Pharmacy (1 Viewer)

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Im interested in pharmacy, but wasn't sure whether i could make it.
Does anyone knows what related courses that can get into pharmacy if you don't get into it next year?

What about medical science?!?

Last edited:

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
at csu wagga id do medical science because 3 subjects are the same and if u get a distinction average they will think about letiing you change to b pharm. also if from rural area you can apply for early entry to b pharm and it doesnt matter what uai you get it goes of trial hsc. if also from rural area you get +5 uai, but you would still nedd a very high uai to take advantage of this (2004 cutoff: 97.45)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Pharmacy isnt the BEST degree to do at the moment, considering that the federal government was looking at deregulating the industry (which means you'll have supermarkets selling prescription meds and competing with you, which is not cool :p).

Also, I heard that most people who do Medical Science do it to transfer out into pharm, or Med after a year :p, I know a guy who's in med science atm and he thinks ALOT of people will be trying to transfer.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
if the government allows supermarkets such as woolworths, coles, etc to sell prescription medicine, you will find yourself working in one because they will basically dominate the entire market

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by redslert
if the government allows supermarkets such as woolworths, coles, etc to sell prescription medicine, you will find yourself working in one because they will basically dominate the entire market
hopefully they'll offer competitive salaries

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
hopefully they'll offer competitive salaries
by that do you mean minimum wage and maybe a bonus of 4cents off any woolworth's petrol station? :p

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
for starters its the nsw govenemnt controls the pharmacies in nsw, the federal governement thinks that its anticompetative that you have to be a pharmacist to own or have an interest in a pharmacy so they fine the nsw government for being anticompetative in its legislation, woolworths thinks that this is a good time to try to open pharmacies, every pharmacy organisation in australia thinks this is bad, so we petition the bill before the nsw government to deregulate. it got over 450000, nerly half a million signitures, the highest ever in nsw history. the nsw gov has amended its bill to allow pharmacist to own 5 pharmacies, and woolworths cant have any. basically its staying the way it was and there will be no loss of service to the community

kow_dude

HSC
Originally posted by neo_o
Also, I heard that most people who do Medical Science do it to transfer out into pharm, or Med after a year :p, I know a guy who's in med science atm and he thinks ALOT of people will be trying to transfer.
Where can i find more information about transfering to pharmacy if i dont get a UAI high enough to directly enter?

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
were bred to hate usyd pharm, considering our course coord ditched them 4 us.

kow_dude

HSC
Just to check, only the "STAT Multiple Choice" is necessary for entry of pharmacy... right?

kow_dude

HSC
hmm.... maybe i should also do the written english test... just in case

speed_bump

invalid
^^^
yer theres a postgrad pharmacy coarse which is much shorter, u need a science degree or somthin similar....i think this coaes is fairly new, i cant remember now who offers it...might be monash or somthin....

And why would u do the written stat test when u dont need it....waste of time and money.....

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
uni of newcastle does post grad pharm if youve done there prereqs etc, it costs 22k a year for 2 years, 44k thats double my 4 year pharm degree, if your loaded go for it.

kow_dude

HSC
There should be more universities offering pharmacy courses :(

Ninga

HSC
I remember getting into pharmacy. At Usyd. I didnt accept the offer. Theres too many drug pushers in this world ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)