Pharmacy @ usyd (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys

just wondering, whats the ATAR required to do B.Pharm at USYD?
i know you have to get >150 on the STAT, but what about the ATAR?

also, is it too late to apply for/take the STAT test? apparently pharmacy admissions close on Dec 5th?

and if you have work experience in a pharmacy (say, 18 months worth), do they consider this or does this not matter?

PLEASEEEE let me know, somebody!!! thanks!

Scinery

HSC
someone got a UAI of 96.5 i think and is doing pharmacy...thats all i know sorry

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
96.5? if that is the ATAR required then there is no hope in hell for me.

fayad158

Banned
HSC
the ATAR needed is usually slightly higher then the UAI as well unfortunatelly lol

Scinery

HSC
you havent done stat? why did you leave this so late?

You can do w/e u want to do in life, including pharmacy (although i dont know why u want to do pharmacy LOL isnt it boring?) regardless of the ATAR

don't worry about that now, focus on the HSC now and you'll get to where you want to be eventually.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
well i wanna work in pharmacy because theres plenty of jobs available, good $$$

plus i work in a pharmacy so ive seen pharmacists in action, and ive seen what they do etc.

i just dont wanna end up doing M.Pharm because its too damn expensive!

raniaaa

:)
HSC
my sisters doing pharm at usyd, she got 97ish, her friends who are doing it got 94+ however, it has dropped since 2007, this girl from my school last year got in with an 89 or 87... probably 89. so yeah you've still got hope :eek:

lolrofllol

HSC
Don't worry, the cut off is estimated to be around 92.6 (ATAR not UAI) this year (In the UAC booklet). Although i've lost all hope of getting that.

lolrofllol

HSC
ahh ok. bye bye pharmacy. :(

its probably 2 late to take the STAT now anyway ey?
No it's definately not too late. I'm taking it on the seventh of november. The last possible day to take it and be considered for the main round is 5 December.

You should register asap for a test, there is one on the 7th, 18th of november and 5th december.

danz90

HSC
Last year's cut off was 91.90. Don't give up hope - I know of people in my year who got in with around 88/89 UAI (I'm first year - so this is according to last year's cut off).

Be prepared for LOTS of work in BPharm ;)
HSC x 2 lol

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Last year's cut off was 91.90. Don't give up hope - I know of people in my year who got in with around 88/89 UAI (I'm first year - so this is according to last year's cut off).

Be prepared for LOTS of work in BPharm ;)
HSC x 2 lol

lots of work aye?
is it a lot more work than other uni degrees (eg. BSc, BA, BCom)? or is it all about the same amount of work?

also are there many classes late at night? because im not too keen on the idea of catching the train by myself from the city to the western suburbs (where i live) after dark. :S

danz90

HSC
lots of work aye?
is it a lot more work than other uni degrees (eg. BSc, BA, BCom)? or is it all about the same amount of work?

also are there many classes late at night? because im not too keen on the idea of catching the train by myself from the city to the western suburbs (where i live) after dark. :S
I think there is quite a bit more work in BPharm compared to quite a lot of other degrees... it is quite challenging.

Well in 1st semester we were unlucky to have a BIOL1003 (human bio) lecture at 5-6pm... But that was the latest we were ever at uni in sem 1.
Bio pracs went from 2-5pm.

In semester 2 , latest you will stay at uni is 6pm: 1-6pm 5hr Molecular bio pracs!!!

lala2

Banned
HSC
hey guys

just wondering, whats the ATAR required to do B.Pharm at USYD?
i know you have to get >150 on the STAT, but what about the ATAR?

also, is it too late to apply for/take the STAT test? apparently pharmacy admissions close on Dec 5th?

and if you have work experience in a pharmacy (say, 18 months worth), do they consider this or does this not matter?

PLEASEEEE let me know, somebody!!! thanks!
Yes, it was 91.90 this year. It has been steadily dropping since the HSC class of 2004. Their cutoff was 97.00, mine (2005) was 95.50, and it just keeps dropping. As someone mentioned, it's not too late to take STAT. Just make sure you've preferenced pharmacy and linked it to your STAT sitting.

Work experience in a pharmacy does not count as far as I'm aware.

well i wanna work in pharmacy because theres plenty of jobs available, good $$$

plus i work in a pharmacy so ive seen pharmacists in action, and ive seen what they do etc.

i just dont wanna end up doing M.Pharm because its too damn expensive!
You can read my thread in the medical forum, but for your convenience there are hardly any jobs left in Sydney. I'm lucky--it took me just 2 months to find a graduate job. My friend has been searching since end of July and still doesn't have anything. Long gone are the days where you could demand a job just because you're a pharmacy graduate.

lots of work aye?

danz has answered this question really well, but my 2c: it's a lot of work. Every semester is like an HSC in itself. No compulsory classes past 6pm but there are some optional ones that run till 7pm. The outstanding majority of pharmacy students live in the western suburbs so you shouldn't have a problem with safety on the train if you acquaint yourself well enough with other people.

I think there is quite a bit more work in BPharm compared to quite a lot of other degrees... it is quite challenging.

Well in 1st semester we were unlucky to have a BIOL1003 (human bio) lecture at 5-6pm... But that was the latest we were ever at uni in sem 1.
Bio pracs went from 2-5pm.

In semester 2 , latest you will stay at uni is 6pm: 1-6pm 5hr Molecular bio pracs!!!
Eww compulsory 6pm finishes! Particularly in first year! I've never had a compulsory class finish at 6pm--ever.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks so muchh everyone for answering my questions!!!

i think ill sit the STAT and see how i go :)

danz90

HSC
thanks so muchh everyone for answering my questions!!!

i think ill sit the STAT and see how i go :)
No worries :) Honestly, Pharmacy isn't a bad course - don't let people turn you off! Personally, I really like it.

Go for it! Good luck with STAT.

dumarab

HSC
I really don't understand the misconception that pharmacists get a lot of cash..All pharmacies are being bought out by franchises and they hire people for like $50 an hour.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Please explain? As in, what people are you referring to? $50/hr is a lot for non-locum work.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ok guys, ive decided to do pharmacy, but now i have another question...

so i sat the STAT test, and UAC sent me a letter a few weeks ago telling me my score of 168. ive also got higher than the required ATAR and put pharmacy as my first uac preference. now what do i do? especially with the STAT test, like how am i supposed to link it with the pharmacy preference? or do i not have to?

how big is the pharmacy workload compared to other degrees such as science, humanities, commerce, psychology, etc.? how many hours of classes per week?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)