pharmacy scenario here... (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ok, lets say this year in the HSC, i get an ATAR of 90 and i choose to do a BSc at sydney

if after one semester ive decided that i really dont want to do science anymore, but id rather do pharmacy, would i be able to transfer to B Pharm for semester 2, 2010 given the following...

- I got an ATAR of 90 the previous year
- I have a credit average

Or would i have to wait until Semester 1, 2011?
Also, is it very difficult to achieve a credit average?

With B Pharm, whats the workload like? Eg. how many hours per week on campus? Is there more hours on campus per week than a degree like BSc or BComm?

thanks to whoever answers my questions! :)

HSC
N/A
on their website its D average but ull probably get in. pm lala2 and have a read of her pharm thread to c if u still want to do pharm

danz90

HSC
ok, lets say this year in the HSC, i get an ATAR of 90 and i choose to do a BSc at sydney

if after one semester ive decided that i really dont want to do science anymore, but id rather do pharmacy, would i be able to transfer to B Pharm for semester 2, 2010 given the following...

- I got an ATAR of 90 the previous year
- I have a credit average

Or would i have to wait until Semester 1, 2011?
Also, is it very difficult to achieve a credit average?

With B Pharm, whats the workload like? Eg. how many hours per week on campus? Is there more hours on campus per week than a degree like BSc or BComm?

thanks to whoever answers my questions! :)
Hey there,

I'm a current first year from BPharm (almost finished wooot) so I can provide u with some advice...

You can't transfer in Semester 2, 2010 because the subjects in Semester 2 have corequesites with sem 1 subjects (ie you have to have attempted the previous semesters subjects to be able to do 2nd sem subjects).

To get a transfer, its usually very competitive, and you will need a minimum distinction average I would think. If you're a hard worker - credit average isn't hard to achieve at all. Distinctions and HDs are where you need to put extra effort in for..
But don't just think that if you did really well in high school and got a high ATAR, then you're going to go great in uni. Not trying to discourage you or anything, but I know of people who got 99+ and didn't do as well as the people who got a little lower. So ATAR/UAI doesn't mean everything.. it's about how hard you work, understand the content and actually enjoy the course.

The workload of BPharm is quite hectic! There's heaps to juggle at one time - especially in 2nd semester 1st year!! Sem 1 Year 1 is a nice transition into pharmacy, but there still is quite a bit of work even then. Trust me, when it comes to final exams time, it feels like HSC all over again x 2! But it's all worth it in the end!

In 1st sem we had a 4 day week - with friday off (for most students). But our hours are high 20's per week. Usually 25-28 hrs/week at uni. Most pracs are 3 hours - except MBLG pracs in semester 2 are 5hrs!! Lectures 1 hr, Tutorials/Workshops either 1 or 2 hours. I would imagine BSc would not be MUCH less...
BComm would be significantly less I reckon, because they don't really have pracs (from what I know) --> this degree follows pattern of 2/3x1hr lectures + 1hr tutorial per week per subject = 12-16 contact hrs/week vs 25-28 for BPharm/BSc.

If you wanna do Pharmacy, why don't you just apply to get into it straight away rather than transferring from BSc?
If you were to transfer from BSc, then you would likely get exemptions for the CHEM161X units of studies, and the BIOL1003 and MBLG1001 - the last two are also taken in the BSc first year. But you still have do to the PHAR18XX units.. they are exclusively offered in the pharmacy degree. And THEY are the most interesting in my opinion. Here's the subjects in first year Pharm:

Semester 1 Year 1
CHEM1612: Chemistry A (Pharmacy)
BIOL1003: Human Biology
PHAR1812 - Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences
PHAR1811 - Foundations of Pharmacy

Semester 2 Year 1
PHAR1822 - Physical Pharmaceutics and Formulation A
PHAR1821 - Social Pharmacy
CHEM1622 - Chemistry B (Pharmacy)
MBLG1001: Molecular Biology and Genetics (Intro)

Hope that helps!

Doomah

HSC
a distinction average to get in is a friggen myth. i know many people who got in with barely a gpa 5.0 credit average.

shit for medicine you only need a 5.5 gpa. so no u dont need a distinction average.

with a 6.0gpa that would even get u into b.law at usyd,

oh an b.pharm is the biggest b.s course ever. its so easy u wont beleive it. it should really be a 3 year course. but they pad it up so fucken much with stupid useless assignments its unbelievable.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks so much everyone!!

i dont think im gonna get the ATAR for it, but ill sit the STAT anyway, try and get in... see what happens!

danz, yeah ive heard a LOT of people say uni is like HSC x 2 :(
but i guess any course is gonna be harder than the HSC.
i can always transfer into a BSc easily if i dont like it, right?

Catheriinee

HSC
is it better to do med science n then transfer to pharm or do a bachelor of science n transfer to pharm??

Doomah

HSC
no difference really

1st year subject are pretty much the same....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)