Pharmacy Salary (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
please reread what i wrote.

if there is six in the area and they have been in business for a while, it means they are making money. i didnt not say if they were making fantastic money, but no rationale small business owner can handle 5 years of losses.

my details are vague? wtf this is all hypothetical in the first place

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
sure u can own ur own pharmacy, more and more of these are being taken over by companies such as AMCAL, terry white which means all pharmacists will eventually end up being paid a standardised salary. the same is happening with GP clinics. however, unlike pharmacists GPs get a cut of the billing (see more patients, make more money) rather than a fixed hourly wage which means "efficient" doctors can still make in excess of 200-300k pa.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
the point of doing pharmacy is to eventually earn enough to open your own store.
my mate has a store and he earns more than investment bankers
independent pharmacies are becoming more rare

and even if they weren't, still only a tiny fraction of pharmacists would have a shot

going into pharmacy with the expectation of owning your own store is stupid as

is a roflcopter
HSC
the first point is true.

the second is probably true but people need to aspire to something. like how all law students want to be partners, all commerce students want to be bankers

otherwise whats the point of studying pharmacy? earning 23 per hour for the rest of your life? thats like the poverty line

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
lawyers can earn decent salaries without being partners, same with commerce students

pharmacy is kind of all or nothing with the scales tipped towards nothing

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Owning a sucessful pharmacy can earn huge amounts - some products can be marked up as high as 700% and still get sales. A pharmacist doesn't earn much because they are over-supplied.

My sister is now fully qualified - not sure exactly how much she earns (could be around $25) - approximately 60k/pa.

Before being fully qualified, it was a bit under $23/hr.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Another aspiration of pharmacists is to work in a hospital (which is super competitive). They can also work for a pharmaceutical company and work their way up the corporate levels.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Another aspiration of pharmacists is to work in a hospital (which is super competitive). They can also work for a pharmaceutical company and work their way up the corporate levels.
This too, to work in a hospital as a pharmacist, you really need to do honours, maybe even first or second class.

nifkeh

HSC
I heard/read that if you are wanting to work in metro Sydney after graduating recently you should expect around $20-$25 an hour because you would most likely be working at a discount chain such as Chemist Warehouse unless you moved into a rural area or small town that it would be $30/h or so. Or unless you owned the pharmacy and it had pretty good sales.

Pharmacy is declining now when taken in uni as of last year the ATAR was 85, compared to the previous years. However the pharmacy market is saturated with new graduates and not enough jobs being put out that are strictly 'pharmacy' related hence the wage is quite low as it is more like a retail job in metro Sydney. That's what I read because I wanted to do pharmacy but now I don't

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
well obviously you gotta pick a good location. noone is telling you to open once in an already saturated area. my friends one is like near blacktown.
and having a lot of phamacies just proves there is demand there.

i have no idea how much exactly - 500k+ i would imagine if you want to buy an existing business
Yeah good location would be pretty essential. I had to get anti biotics while i was on holidays last week and generics cost almost twice there as they do in the priceline near my house - different brand of generics but that shouldn't matter. Not sure if priceline just get good bulk pricing or the chemist in qld can get away with charging extra due to less competition.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
once upon a time there were a bunch of asians who didnt get into med and thought pharmacy was pretty close and the next best option. all of them signed up to do pharmacy and drove the requirements right up (cutoffs for pharmacy were in the mid 90s at one point). all asians graduated and realised there werent enough jobs to go around. word spread amongst the asian community and asians now turn to law, commerce, physio, optom etc etc. lucky for them also, the government decided to open up 5 new medical schools so the new generation of asians can now all study medicine. the cutoff for pharmacy drops to mid 80s.

2xL

HSC
once upon a time there were a bunch of asians who didnt get into med and thought pharmacy was pretty close and the next best option. all of them signed up to do pharmacy and drove the requirements right up (cutoffs for pharmacy were in the mid 90s at one point). all asians graduated and realised there werent enough jobs to go around. word spread amongst the asian community and asians now turn to law, commerce, physio, optom etc etc. lucky for them also, the government decided to open up 5 new medical schools so the new generation of asians can now all study medicine. the cutoff for pharmacy drops to mid 80s.
HAHA good post. would rep

Immortalp00n

HSC
international students as well
a shit load of pharmacists have come from the middle east, east-asia and india

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL made my day :L

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
btw how long does it usually take for the current market to change/improve. Surely in the next five years or so, things could change for the better!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)