• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Pharmacy Q (1 Viewer)

CloudStrife

HSC
Immediate Question, has anyone heard of someone doing Pharmacy at CSU for first year and then transferring to USyd Pharmacy ??

I'm about to finish my graduate degree in actuarial studies and I'm wanting to get into B Pharmacy at USyd. Helping/advising people with drugs/medicines, the recognition of the profession, the seemingly better work culture and environment all make it like the thing I want to do.

I don't have the tertiary grades to get into the Masters course and apparently to get into the BPharm., only my tertiary marks will be considered and not my UAI. Do they look at GPA or the average marks?

My tertiary grades are 2.5 out of 4 GPA at Macquarie which is 5 out of 7 on the GAMSAT equivalence. My average tertiary grade out of 100 is rounded to 65. Do I even have a chance to make the cut if I applied for BPharm at USyd?

I'm opting to do Pharm. at CSU for first year and then try transfer back to USyd Pharm. The other option is to do BScience at USyd. but that will mean i'll be delayed another year since I dont think I'll be able to do all the 1st year Pharm subjects in the BScience degree.

CSU Course 1st year
Session 1
BMS115 Introductory Medical Microbiology
BMS129 Physiological Sciences 1
CHM104 Chemistry 1A
PHM101 Introduction to Pharmacy

Session 2
BMS130 Physiological Sciences 2
CHM107 Chemistry 1B
PHM131 Pharmaceutics 1
STA201 Scientific Statistics

Thx

CloudStrife

HSC
Another question, below are the subjects for first year USyd Pharm....the only subject in first sem that has prereq. is Chem1611 which says you need approval from the Pharm. dept. Does that mean its strictly only for pharm enrolled students? Anyone do pharmacy and meet non-pharm students in that course?? I'd really like to know.

Sem1
BIOL1001 - Concepts in Biology OR BIOL1101 - Biology - Ecosystems to Genes
CHEM1611 - Chemistry A (Pharmacy)
MATH1606 -Calculus and Statistics for Pharmacy
PHAR1615 Foundations of Pharmacy

Sem2
BIOL1003 - Human Biology
CHEM1612 - Chemistry B (Pharmacy)
PHAR1616 - Introductory Pharmaceutical Science
PHAR1617 - Social Pharmacy

padapadada

Not New Member
HSC
hmm....we do have chem of our own:) but i think there are few random ppl who are not in our course in our chem lab...they are the special cases i guess.

HSC
From memory, i think only biology in first year has people from other degrees, all the rest are pharmacy-only students (there are randoms from years above who may be repeating the unit, either the lab classes, the lectures or both).

And about CSU transfer, a friend of mine did first year pharm at CSU but when she transferred in 2nd year she had to actually redo first year all over again (syllabus differences or something). so she started as a first 1st year again with us last year in sydney....seems a bit risky.

hope that helps

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
After comparing the syllabus of Sydney and CSU Pharmacy courses, I believe that you will be able to obtain credit for some-but not all-of subjects if you transfer to USYD after a year at CSU. By the sound of it you will have to repeat the first year again though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)