pharmacy or physiotherapy (1 Viewer)

Misz

HSC
hey guys
i suddenly had a complete change of course - from pharmacy to physiotherapy
all this time i was thinking 'PHARMACY ALL THE WAY'
but now - getting cold feet
got an offer for pharmacy but right now, not sure if its the right course
apparantly, pharmacy isnt good anymore? WAY too many pharmacist thus, decrease in career security, which is the ultimate decision etc
just wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons / comparision of pharmacy and physiotherapy
such as salary + job security + which one is more difficult and any other things
any advice is greatly appreciated :)
thanks

Tim035

HSC
Just on a generic level, physiotherapy would be a lot of fun as you are still a professional in that you must assess and treat each of your patients, and of course it's very hands on; rather than borderline working in retail. Some comments in regards to physio I've heard though are:

- You'll deal with a lot of old people in this aging population. Making sure their joints are all mobile still, treating overuse injuries; and for the very elderly, preventing bed sores, blood clots etc.

- Hospital physios get paid peanuts (Can be as bad as $45k pa.), however if the practice you are working at isn't overly popular, you might not do much better.

- Everyone dreams of becoming the sports physio for a big sporting team and getting paid $$$ to do something they'd love. As you can imagine, odds of this are <1%

nottellingu

HSC
hey guys
apparantly, pharmacy isnt good anymore? WAY too many pharmacist thus, decrease in career security, which is the ultimate decision etc
just wondering if anyone knew the pros and cons / comparision of pharmacy and physiotherapy
such as salary + job security + which one is more difficult and any other things
thanks
Just do a couple of searches online.
I've seen some physio jobs in the North Shore offering 140K - there might be some competition for this. If you get your own practice running in physio there is no cap, it comes down to how many patients you have, The same applies to pharmacy, some make 100K+ others earn 40-50.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
pharmacist = salesperson with a B Pharmacy degree
physiotherapist = masseuse/masseur with a B Physiotherapy degree.

and both=wannabe doctors

EDIT: i can see ppl flaming this already

lala2

Banned
HSC
hey guys
thanks
Probably too late but I'd advise you to accept the pharmacy offer and preference physio as the top for second round offers. Yes you're right about the decreasing job security. You can google things like "oversupply of pharmacists" and see what you come up with. The results are not pretty imo. The only solution to that is to go rural. You can view my thread as well if you haven't already:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...dent-pls-read-if-youre-considering-pharm.html

Just on a generic level, physiotherapy would be a lot of fun as you are still a professional in that you must assess and treat each of your patients, and of course it's very hands on; rather than borderline working in retail. Some comments in regards to physio I've heard though are:

- You'll deal with a lot of old people in this aging population. Making sure their joints are all mobile still, treating overuse injuries; and for the very elderly, preventing bed sores, blood clots etc.

- Hospital physios get paid peanuts (Can be as bad as $45k pa.), however if the practice you are working at isn't overly popular, you might not do much better.

- Everyone dreams of becoming the sports physio for a big sporting team and getting paid $$$ to do something they'd love. As you can imagine, odds of this are <1%
That's really interesting. I honestly knew (and still know) absolutely nothing about physios.

Just do a couple of searches online.
I've seen some physio jobs in the North Shore offering 140K - there might be some competition for this. If you get your own practice running in physio there is no cap, it comes down to how many patients you have, The same applies to pharmacy, some make 100K+ others earn 40-50.
Probably the same can be said of dentistry and med. Private practice is where the money's at. Interesting figures though.

pharmacist = salesperson with a B Pharmacy degree
physiotherapist = masseuse/masseur with a B Physiotherapy degree.

and both=wannabe doctors

EDIT: i can see ppl flaming this already
lol. I can't comment on the physio bit but totally agree with the pharmacy bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)