Peter Skrzynecki Poem summaries (1 Viewer)

Hana

Hey, Can anyone help me? :( I am after some notes on Peter Skrzynecki's poetry from "Immigrant Chronicle", more especially teh poems "Crossing the Red Sea", "Immigrants at Central Station", and "Leaving Home". It would be really good if those notes could include some examples and techniques. :) but anything would be really helpful. Thanks heaps. xox

cli$

hello i did all of those poems --- do you sill needs sum info?
ohb weel i cant be bothered to type up 4 pages of work.. but get back to me if you want them still

miss-teek

Immigrants at Central Station

“Immigrants at Central Station” is a poem about the collective immigration experience shared by a group of migrants. The journey undertaken in this poem is very emotional, and this is portrayed by the use of imagery, such as the phase “Families stood / Keeping children by their sides”. The poem, once again by its strong use of imagery, demonstrates and illustrates the fear that surrounds the migrants. The experience which this poem recounts is very empty and confusing for the subjects. The poem symbolizes a very emotional climatic point in the migration experience, and it depicts family as a human strength – that with the comfort. Love and support of family, people can get through anything.

Skrzynecki uses alliteration (“…With dampness that slowly / Sank into our thoughts…”), personification (“The air was crowded”, “…But we ate it all: / The silence, the cold, the benevolence”, “Time waited”, “Space hemmed us against each other…” “…time ran ahead…”) and similes (“Like Cattle bought for slaughter”, “Like a word of command”, “Like a guillotine / Cutting us off from the space of eyesight”) to illustrate the intensity and the uncertainty of the poem. “The air was crowded” This personification demonstrates that the atmosphere was full of fear and anticipation. “But we at it all: the silence, the cold, the benevolence” This personification suggests a tense atmosphere. The simile “Like cattle bought for slaughter” suggests a feeling of entrapment, with a pre – determined future.

War is a central theme which is depicted in many of the language techniques, such as “Like cattle bought for slaughter”, which gives a strong allude to the genocide the Nazis inflicted on the Jews by the way of the Holocaust, and this is an indication of the common emotion which is shared by the immigrants – fear. These immigrants have been forced to leave behind their world, their old lives. This creates an uncertain element about the future. The feel detached from life, as if they have lost their identity, as they “Watch pigeons/ That watched them.” Likewise, “Like a word of command” strongly relates to the traumatizing concentration camps set up by the Nazis at the beginning of World War Two. As such, this then makes the tone depressive as it conveys feelings, once again, of entrapment, anxiety and fear. The tone is portrayed by dark, lonely words such as silence, cold and dampness.

This poem strongly depicts the concept of the future – and time. Time is represented by the train “along the glistening tracks” – this indicates that life, and time, go on as so too must we. This creates better understanding of the value of the love, comfort and support of family. It also presents the idea that while they have left behind a war time period, there is a whole world out there which can offer so much more. The immigrants within this poem, however, show reluctance to move ahead with their lives because the fear that they lived through is still fresh and will forever haunt them.

eelg

eelg
HSC
Help!

Hi if anyone can help it would be much appreicated. i need note on the process on physical journeys and why what happens on the way is more important the where you end up?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
erm, yes, english journeys, fun stuff i must say....
i dun get the point of this topic, area of study-thingy-mabob? like, we all know that the process of getting somewhere is much more important than the final "destination", so the english departments of the world must jus like teaching us what we already know n complicating it at the same time, they're multi-skilled :p

anyways, goodluck every1, n if ur wundering y i wrote wot i jus did up above, then, well, i dunno, a random statement? if u know, tell us plz...lol , jus dismiss it, im weird

stellar1987

Professional Retard
HSC
it's so hard to get his poems on the net

HanaSmith said:
Hey, Can anyone help me? :( I am after some notes on Peter Skrzynecki's poetry from "Immigrant Chronicle", more especially teh poems "Crossing the Red Sea", "Immigrants at Central Station", and "Leaving Home". It would be really good if those notes could include some examples and techniques. :) but anything would be really helpful. Thanks heaps. xox
it seems to be so hard to get peter skrzynecki poems on the internet....i know you can view them at emule.com poetry archive but i can't find any other sites that actually have the full list of his poems to view. i just want to print them out to study.

stellar1987

Professional Retard
HSC
jackson t said:
hey umm i saw the message u left about having peter skrzynecki poems summarised, and analysis's of them. i was wondering if u wuld be kind enough to email them to me? my email is wacko15_8@hotmail.com

hey, i got your message but its been almost 2 years since i studied this (i did the hsc in 2005). anyway, here is a link that might help: http://www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum/read.php?6,148118,174806

and i believe there may be some helpful information here: http://www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum/read.php?6,175406,175416#msg-175416

and these are all results that come up under a search:
http://www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum...,match_type=ALL,match_dates=0,match_forum=ALL

Emule forums were the most helpful place for me. There seems to be no other sites around with any info on these poems.

Huzzah

HSC
Thanks everyone that put stuff up... i went to a conference the other day where peter spoke and he went into shallow analyses of some of his poems, but not really talking about techniques and stuff. He did say that Felix is actually his adoptive father tho...

he was a brilliant speaker and it was really good to listen to him. He's not at all weird like some ppl say.

xsarahx

HSC
if you still have the poems that would be Most appreciated.. I srsly need help with the Felix Skrzyneki and the postcard one.. UR the best if you can send them to this email. sw33t_angel1@hotmail.com

illchayz

HSC
hey thanks alot for posting them notes up. I had a glance over them and there perfect, appreciate the help.

Nick007

HSC
Hey im doing a response to the poem Post Card and im meant to imagine im Peter and ive travelled back to Warsaw. I was wondering why he actually has to go back there, do his parents live their or something? I got no idea.. can some explain it please ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)