Peter skrzynecki important question?? (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
This is a part of the belonging rubric:
"Texts explore many aspects of belonging, including the potential of the individual to enrich or challenge a community or group."

If this was an essay question how could you approach it? I can't think of anything from Peter skrzynecki's poems that enrich a community or group.

ClaraZH

HSC
Look at community as not just the immediate place or town he lives in. St Patricks College, Migrant Hostel, Postcard, Feliks Skrzynecki. If you can't think of ways to look at it as enrichment, you can always challenge the question, especially as Skrzynecki usually seems to focus more on alienation than connection. For example, you could look at the way he feels disconnected from his school community in St Patricks College through *insert technique here, and either contrast it with the connection he feels with his family group in 10 Mary Street, or use one of the others he whinges about being alienated from his heritage to reinforce this (almost all of them.) Feliks Skrzynecki works really well because he talks about both belonging to his family, and disconnection to his heritage.

gee-dee-enn95

HSC
This would be a really awkward question for Skryznecki and I feel your pain.

I would turn the question on its head and talk about the potential of communities and groups to enrich or challenge the individual. I find this would work a bit better for Skryznecki.

Eg...
- St Pats - school community challenges Skryznecki - doesn't connect with values, migrant experience.
- In the folk museum - mainstream Australian society challenges Skryznecki - migrant experience.
- 10 Mary Street - family enriches Skryznecki - providing him with a place in which he can truly belong, routine and continuity, etc.
Also remember to fit your related text into it somewhere.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I've prepared two disparate, yet complementary poems
feliks and ancestors

to suit a range of questions

but this would be a pain

coyney

HSC
I've prepared two disparate, yet complementary poems
feliks and ancestors

to suit a range of questions

but this would be a pain
Feliks would suit this well. You could talk about feliks'/peter's connection/disconnection with australia/cultural heritage

Frostbitten

HSC
How many poems are you aiming to use in the exam and how many related texts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)