Peter brookes interpretation of king lear (1 Viewer)

ashie2

HSC
i have trial english exam coming up n i need 2 interpretations....i know eyres is a family interpretation, but im not quite sure what peter brookes is. i think its about the human existence or the individual or something.... but not quite sure. My teacher also said that you shouldnt use narsastic, or feminist approaches etc.

need help!!!!
eeeep!

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
Peter Brook’s provides a nihilistic view of the play. The ending of Brooks’ vision is a scene of desolation, with the survivors ( no women among them) huddle together facing a bleak and harsh landscape and no sense of where any form of regeneration is to come from. The landscape around them is chilling hostile. The ending really brings about the destruction of that original unity has left no remnant from which is something healthy might spring.

Hope that helps

*Baby-K*

HSC
Peter Brooks (Director) 1970

Lear played by Paul Schofield
  • Nihilistic
  • opens with Lear not Gloucester
  • No- first word
  • silent introduction- faces all waiting for the decision to be handed down
Camera
  • still camera
  • long shots
  • black and white
  • emotionally restrained
  • speech- tends to be slow
  • close framing- subject fills the frame
  • claustrophobic
  • uses close ups of face a lot
Strengths and Limitations:
Strengths:
  • accommodates the subplot- Edmund's bid for power. Rise in status. Not just to inherit Gloucester's land and title but for a while there - to be beside Regan as regent
  • political story of power struggle is clear: father-son, sister-sister, brother-brother, king-inheritors, england- france.
  • shows results of power abuse: shows effects of power of the individuals. Regan and Goneril but also Edmund, Cornwall
PS I have more notes if you like PM me and I'll scan them. Hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)