persuasive writing (1 Viewer)

fandagles_029

HSC
hi everyone, i haven't written a persuasive piece in a really long time and now I'm confused as to how i should structure it and what to include etc. so if anyone has ANY tips or examples they can give me that would be so helpful and i would literally be forever grateful :')

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A persuasive text aims to convince the reader/audience of a particular idea or position regarding a specific topic. This means that as a starting point, you should determine the main argument/position that you will adopt in your persuasive piece. Ideally, you should state your central argument at the beginning of your piece.

This brings us to the structure of your persuasive piece. Once you finish introducing the topic and your main position, you can then move on to the body of your piece. This is where you will be able to present and explain your main points in depth, as well as make effective use of relevant techniques (here, the texts that you study would be useful). Importantly, you should also determine the type of arguments that you will be making in your body paragraphs. For instance, you may choose to argue based on logic (rational arguments), or you could present arguments to trigger an emotional response from the reader/audience (emotional argument). You should ensure that this is consistent across the three body paragraphs that you write (which I believe is also the recommended number of body paragraphs). Further, using subsequent body paragraphs to expand on arguments presented can also emphasise consistency, creating a better flow of writing and a higher quality persuasive piece overall.

When the body of your piece is complete, you may include a concluding paragraph to briefly summarise your central argument as well as the main points that you made in your persuasive piece.

I hope this helps! 😄

fandagles_029

HSC
A persuasive text aims to convince the reader/audience of a particular idea or position regarding a specific topic. This means that as a starting point, you should determine the main argument/position that you will adopt in your persuasive piece. Ideally, you should state your central argument at the beginning of your piece.

This brings us to the structure of your persuasive piece. Once you finish introducing the topic and your main position, you can then move on to the body of your piece. This is where you will be able to present and explain your main points in depth, as well as make effective use of relevant techniques (here, the texts that you study would be useful). Importantly, you should also determine the type of arguments that you will be making in your body paragraphs. For instance, you may choose to argue based on logic (rational arguments), or you could present arguments to trigger an emotional response from the reader/audience (emotional argument). You should ensure that this is consistent across the three body paragraphs that you write (which I believe is also the recommended number of body paragraphs). Further, using subsequent body paragraphs to expand on arguments presented can also emphasise consistency, creating a better flow of writing and a higher quality persuasive piece overall.

When the body of your piece is complete, you may include a concluding paragraph to briefly summarise your central argument as well as the main points that you made in your persuasive piece.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you so much for your advice it was super helpful! I'm just struggling to interpret my stimulus which is 'Jude hated the elderly. She always had, even as a child, when other children adored their grandparents, flinging themselves at their soft unsteady bodies. All her life the elderly had disgusted her; it was their patchy skin, their need, their capacity to see things in you. The decay inside their secret old mouths. She would never become one of them - The Weekend by Charlotte Wood'. I had originally wrote about devaluing aging but apparently that's not what this is about, do you have any idea's on what i could possibly write on?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you so much for your advice it was super helpful! I'm just struggling to interpret my stimulus which is 'Jude hated the elderly. She always had, even as a child, when other children adored their grandparents, flinging themselves at their soft unsteady bodies. All her life the elderly had disgusted her; it was their patchy skin, their need, their capacity to see things in you. The decay inside their secret old mouths. She would never become one of them - The Weekend by Charlotte Wood'. I had originally wrote about devaluing aging but apparently that's not what this is about, do you have any idea's on what i could possibly write on?
No worries!

Upon reading this stimulus for the first time, I can definitely understand your reasoning. However, it is quite the opposite, as emphasis is placed on ageing rather than devaluing it. Having done some research on "The Weekend" and its author, the text's resonant theme is mortality. With this in mind, reading the stimulus again will result in a different interpretation. Specifically, the descriptive language used and "She would never become one of them" indicates Jude's awareness of her own mortality.

Consequently, it seems that your persuasive piece will likely need to cover mortality instead of devaluing ageing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)