Personalities.... (1 Viewer)

C-BAS

HSC
I'd just like to extend a big ol' FUCK YOU to Albert Speer. You single handedly ruined my Modern paper. :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

How'd your personalities treat you? I was thrown by "products of their times" and blanked on key dates. Shit. I should have studied more of it and spent less time on everything else.

chistar

HSC
N/A
I did Speer too. I basically said he was an opportunitist who grasped opportunities provided in that specific time. His career was basically divided into 4 parts:
- Joining the new political wave that was the Nazis
- Architectural jobs in the party during peace time
- Armaments Minister during the outbreak of the war
- His image as the "good Nazi" after the German defeat

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I did Trotsky and probably approached it in a strange way as usual.

I basically said that because he came into power during a time when the idea of "Permanent Revolution" was popular and he believed in it, he could not abandon the idea because it had served him well for such a long time despite it ultimately leading to his defeat in the power struggle.

Of course i used examples to show how he whole heartedly supported the idea/used it as motivation and used historians to back everything up :)

niloony

HSC
I went on about how Speer was a product of 2 distinct times. Nationalist racist Germany (Van Der Vat stuff) and the new Germany developing during the 1920's and after WW2 ("Apolitical managerial revolution stuff").

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Leni Riefenstahl.
Didn't manage my time well for this section so if I don't get the overall mark I hoped for then I shall blame Leni. I mean I understood what the question was asking for and all but... well.. yeah timing I suppose. Timing and Leni Riefenstahl. Both were just absolutely horrible.

absorber

HSC
Riefenstahl was beautiful...

-Dancing reflected contexts of more culturally open weimar republic
-early film work (pre-nazis) did this too
-Nazi films obviously reflected her 'being a product of her time'
-Nuba photography showed she hadn't changed, was still influenced by the contexts of her younger life

Last edited:

TannouB

HSC
Riefenstahl was beautiful...

-Dancing reflected contexts of more culturally open weimar republic
-early film work (pre-nazis) did this too
-Nazi films obviously reflected her 'being a product of her time'
-Nuba photography showed she hadn't changed, was still influenced by the contexts of her younger life
-Same point
-Nazi's changed her as her context changed being less free and more restricted in hitlers totalitarian regime (ie same fate as rest of Germany)

How historians argue over her transition from art -> propaganda/art

Leni's insistance that she only did art (said therefore that she was blind to her changing time period)

-Nuba photography was like the continuation of her controversial life in a world where options were more available (Approaching post modernism meant Leni was much less restricted)

-continued with her diving career... till she was 101 years old...

O yeah :D hell yeah :D

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i did Speer as well. absolute crap imo.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
god speer was horrible.

i made some weird, tenuous shit up about him being "a belated product of his time". something to do with how he manipulated people after the fall of nazi germany... or something.

ixswans

HSC
I did Gorby and basically interpreted 'times' to mean many times to which I connected his decisions and what he said in media to be a product of his experiences.

Hopefully a 25-er, because I put a whole lot of effort into that!

penguin.ali

HSC
I did Trotsky and basically manipulated the "times" to mean when he grew up and such, as heaps of people are always bleating about how his childhood had no revolutionary indicators - which it did, if you could be bothered to read his autobiography.

maddyure

HSC
I did Speer but it was set out really badly so that it didn't follow a good structure due to to much time spent on part a.
Basically i agreed with the quote and then said that he was anti semetic, but he just followed the trend in Germany. This may be seen through his Nazi membership and his general indifference to the Jews, both demonstrating that he was a product of his times. Then I spoke about how Speer defyed the Scorched Earth as a response to the end of the war, rather than a personal mission to save Germany, this shows how he was a pragmatic opportunist and a product of his time.

In alot of ways it was similar to the 2007 paper "events shape people more than people shape events"

silverpen

HSC
I did Speer but it was set out really badly so that it didn't follow a good structure due to to much time spent on part a.
Basically i agreed with the quote and then said that he was anti semetic, but he just followed the trend in Germany. This may be seen through his Nazi membership and his general indifference to the Jews, both demonstrating that he was a product of his times. Then I spoke about how Speer defyed the Scorched Earth as a response to the end of the war, rather than a personal mission to save Germany, this shows how he was a pragmatic opportunist and a product of his time.

In alot of ways it was similar to the 2007 paper "events shape people more than people shape events"
I pretty much did the same as you.

Speer was a combination of both his time as in the events in Germany and the society he lived in and his inherent nature which I supported with Gitta Sereney's quote he had a "missing dimnesion of human feeling and compassion".

clairebear41

HSC
I did Emperor Hirohito which i think about zero people in the state do lol

This was my fav topic, however the "product of his time" statment was really irrelevent to my personality, therefore i screwed up on it.
I left myself over an hour to do this section, i wrote 14 pages and i still think i went pretty shit in it. Ah well the rest of the modern paper was exellent :)

Out of interest does anyone else do Hirohito?

HSC
My school studied Albert Speer - loved the very OPEN part a, and for part b I took a "events shape people more than people shape events" stance (past HSC question). Felt good with part a, and relatively okay with b. Not too sure if my argument was strong enough for b.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I did Trotsky and basically manipulated the "times" to mean when he grew up and such, as heaps of people are always bleating about how his childhood had no revolutionary indicators - which it did, if you could be bothered to read his autobiography.
That's what people at my school did. Gah, i always interpret these sort of questions in a weird way lol

driaxx

HSC
I'd just like to extend a big ol' FUCK YOU to Albert Speer. You single handedly ruined my Modern paper. :chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:

How'd your personalities treat you? I was thrown by "products of their times" and blanked on key dates. Shit. I should have studied more of it and spent less time on everything else.
Same! I did Speer too. I argued whether his character was raised as cold/apolitical or whether he was entirely changed by Hitler 'under his spell' as he said in Nuremburg, and argued that regardless he still did unethical things, but on the other hand this could be a result of his cold childhood where his family disliked him (and therefore a result of his lifestyle that evolved through his time)

I don't even think I related to dates, just events that happened. I might have thrown in some dates here and there.

Last edited:

hugh789

HSC
First of all im not sure if anyone's critcised the first question but I HAVE to :chainsaw:
Firstly cant rember the exact question something like: Out line the life of your choosen peresonality

The most ambiguous bullshit I've ever seen in a Modern history paper. Firstly my interpretation of "life" is extremlley different from anyone else, the person who lives next door or the next person who posts in this forum. I mainly focused on my person's education and childhood as I personally believe that your childhood and education has one of the biggest influence on your life. So for Trotsky I focused on his development of socilist communist marxist beliefs and how this influenced his role in emigre politics etc.

TO THE POINT HOW DO I COVER SOMEONE'S LIFE In 20 mins or 15mins whatever your choose to spend on it WTF. I didnt get to his life in exile or even get into detail about Commisar for WAR.

BIGGEST RANT BUT WTF!!
OVERALL very good paper though... hahah seroiusly other sections were great

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)