perms and combs question (1 Viewer)

banigul@30

HSC
hi, i need help with this question, i have already solved it up to a point but i don't know where to go with it, also i think there may be any easier way to solve it
any help is appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 3.32.33 pm.png

Last edited:

WeiWeiMan

HSC
hi, i need help with this question, i have already solved it up to a point but i don't know where to go with it, also i think there may be any easier way to solve it
any help is appreciated!

View attachment 42672
Consider the combination formula
nCr = n!/r!(n-r!)

By inspection, n=6+4=10

yanujw

HSC
Some good answers were provided in this thread. Another approach is to brute force the answer by algebra;

... and solving this quadratic gives the solutions n=10 and n=-1, the latter is disregarded.

banigul@30

HSC
Some good answers were provided in this thread. Another approach is to brute force the answer by algebra;

... and solving this quadratic gives the solutions n=10 and n=-1, the latter is disregarded.
thank you for this, this was the answer in the textbook! i tried using alegbra too but i made it too complicated haha

Attachments

Luukas.2

HSC
thank you for this, this was the answer in the textbook! i tried using alegbra too but i made it too complicated haha
Your algebra is correct, you got to

Though, rearranging in a different way is simpler:

Note the application of a general and useful technique (highlighted in colour): grouping related factorials into fractions to facilitate cancelling, then unravelling whichever is the larger until the smaller is reached.

Last edited:

banigul@30

HSC
i appreciate the help and the note on the second method, thank you!
could you explain Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 7.20.50 pm.png thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)