Perms and combs question (1 Viewer)

carrotsss

HSC
b) Find the number of ways in which the letters of the word TRIANGLE can be arranged in a
line...
i)
so that all the vowels are next to each other?

My working:
6 (assuming vowels are in a group of 3, this group can be in 5 places along the 8 letter row) * 3! (order of vowels within that group of 3) * 5! (order of consonants within remaining spots) = 4320

However the correct answer was:
2! × 3! × 5! = 1440

Where did I go wrong? Q is from 2020 Caringbah prelim

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There is a chance that your answer is actually correct and that the paper's answer is not (perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm this). Here, I refer to working from different sources. Here is the first example:

1662814562486.png

The second example is as follows:

The number of letters in given word is 8, here 1 each are T’s, R’s, I’s, A’s, N’s, L’s, G’s & E’s. Using permutation, we have the number of words in which vowels occurs together:

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
There is a chance that your answer is actually correct and that the paper's answer is not (perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm this). Here, I refer to working from different sources. Here is the first example:

View attachment 36231

The second example is as follows:

The number of letters in given word is 8, here 1 each are T’s, R’s, I’s, A’s, N’s, L’s, G’s & E’s. Using permutation, we have the number of words in which vowels occurs together:

I hope this helps! :D
Thanks! Yeah I’m really not sure, usually I can easily figure out where I went wrong with these questions but this one really threw me…

fx82au

HSC
im legit doing this exact question rn, and i thought i was going crazy. thankyou mr carrotsss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)