Permanent residents saddled with huge upfront university fees (1 Viewer)

specialjenny

HSC
Permanent residents saddled with huge upfront university fees
By Matthew Thompson, Higher Education Reporter
January 22, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Thousands of successful university applicants face a rude surprise after the Federal Government quietly axed the right of permanent residents to defer their university fees.

Instead, the Government has decreed that from January 1 permanent residents starting university must pay their charges up front - with annual HECS fees of up to $8000 for undergraduate courses and more than $10,000 a year for many postgraduate programs.

Permanent residents and New Zealand citizens had the same rights as Australian citizens to defer their university fees under the HECS and related postgraduate schemes, but under the Government's changes, which take effect this year, these rights ended.

Last year more than 33,500 permanent residents and New Zealanders were enrolled in universities across the country.

A spokeswoman for the federal Department of Education, Science and Training said permanent residents' access to loans had been removed "to close off the debt avoidance potential related to permanent residents borrowing taxpayer funds through HECS-HELP and then moving back overseas".

Advertisement
AdvertisementStudents have been "made fully aware" of this policy through websites and booklets, and the change was announced as part of the wider higher education changes, the spokeswoman said.

But a distraught mother, Wendy, rang the Herald and said her 20-year-old daughter, who has lived in Australia most of her life, was in shock after discovering the system she had grown up with now excluded her.

"Many of her friends are also in the same boat; they don't know what to do," said Wendy, who did not want her family to be identified. "No one at the open days we went to in December told us this - they sent her a letter of acceptance, and then she only found out a couple of days ago that she would have to pay $13,600 up front."

The Opposition's education spokeswoman, Jenny Macklin, said "the Howard Government was forcing people who have decided to make Australia their permanent home to pay upfront fees ... they're paying more for the same thing".

The National Union of Students' state president, Sarah-Jane Collins, said permanent residents "are Australians for tax purposes, so they should be for HECS, too".

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/01/21/1106110947910.html?oneclick=true

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
specialjenny said:
The Opposition's education spokeswoman, Jenny Macklin, said "the Howard Government was forcing people who have decided to make Australia their permanent home to pay upfront fees ... they're paying more for the same thing".
Goddamn. Jenny Macklin is such a stupid stupid bitch. They are not paying more. In fact, they are paying 20% less. They just have to pay upfront, because of the way in which the tax system works.
If people are annoyed, they should have done their research earlier.

:vcross:

epsilon

HSC
Dude, just because you're: 1. not affected by this, and 2. come from a upper-middle class family, that does not give you the right to dismiss this change in such an off-hand manner. People like me who are: 1. affected by this sneaky and totally unpublicised-until-our-booklets-came-and-today's-SMH new change and 2. poor are really affected by this.

Yes, you get a 20% discount on up-front payment, but what about students like me who prefers to pay 1/3 of the fees first, and only pay the rest later when I'm financially stable and working? Guys like you get this option, whether you take it or not, guys like me don't.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
epsilon said:
Dude, just because you're: 1. not affected by this, and 2. come from a upper-middle class family, that does not give you the right to dismiss this change in such an off-hand manner. People like me who are: 1. affected by this sneaky and totally unpublicised-until-our-booklets-came-and-today's-SMH new change and 2. poor are really affected by this.

Yes, you get a 20% discount on up-front payment, but what about students like me who prefers to pay 1/3 of the fees first, and only pay the rest later when I'm financially stable and working? Guys like you get this option, whether you take it or not, guys like me don't.
Just so you know:
1. I am by no means wealthy, living on a single income in the western suburbs
2. I am a New Zealand citizen, however i applied for dual citizenship after researching the new changes to HECS

This was by no means sneaky. You dont get the option because HECS-HELP runs via the taxation system. If you are not an Australian citizen, its your own fault. This has always been the rule, only this year is came to exclude NZ citizens. Being a Malaysian citizen, you would have had to have changed citizenship anyway, that has always been a rule.

Dont make assumptions.

billion_yao

damn,read dis " new students who are new zealand citizens or are in australia on permanent resident visas must pay their student contributiong up front, without the discount, each semester!!!"

without the discount okay? if yu pay upfront, of course, 20% off! but different condition here!

epsilon

HSC
absolution* said:
This was by no means sneaky. You dont get the option because HECS-HELP runs via the taxation system. If you are not an Australian citizen, its your own fault. This has always been the rule, only this year is came to exclude NZ citizens. Being a Malaysian citizen, you would have had to have changed citizenship anyway, that has always been a rule.

Dont make assumptions.
1. That's good advice, on the "don't make assumptions" part man. I suggest you should take your own advice as well. Read my other thread entitled "2005 PR uni students". The only reason I'm still not an Aussie citizen is because I can only do so after I was granted PR for 2 years, which is around July this year.

2. Did it come out in the news or newspaper prior to today? No. I checked on the website around December last year. I don't remember reading anything about it. So that's still not considered sneaky?

3. Being a Malaysian, I'ed had to change my citizenship anyway? For your information, prior to 2005, Malaysians, Indians, Singaporeans, or any other PRs DID NOT have to change our citizenships to get HECS-HELP. That has definately NEVER been the rule.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
epsilon said:
The only reason I'm still not an Aussie citizen is because I can only do so after I was granted PR for 2 years, which is around July this year.
You can get HECS when you become a citizen. Since that will be in July, it is possible you can do HECS for the second semester onwards. At the most you'll have to have paid upfront only 1 year of your fees.

And for the record, I do not think this is anything new. I knew about it last year. When you did your research for your uni and coruse, surely you would have noticed?

berghousemaa

HSC
It has been a serious burden for the tax dept to offer loans to permanent residents who upon completion of their degree go back home not having to pay a dime.
It's a wonder the govt has been offerinmg this coaster ride for so long.
It is a shame epsilon that you are affected negatively but the govt has been left with little choice.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
berghousemaa said:
It has been a serious burden for the tax dept to offer loans to permanent residents who upon completion of their degree go back home not having to pay a dime.
It's a wonder the govt has been offerinmg this coaster ride for so long.
It is a shame epsilon that you are affected negatively but the govt has been left with little choice.
But the permanent residents pay tax just like australian citizens, so why should it be any different?

What's to stop Aussies going overseas to escape their debt?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Minai said:
I'll be doing that!

But only because I'll likely pursue a career and/or postgraduate studies overseas. I imagine one day when I come back to Aus, I'll pay off my HECS, assuming I even go overseas.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Minai said:
But the permanent residents pay tax just like australian citizens, so why should it be any different?

Aussies can very well go overseas and fuck the system in it's outhole, but if the government applied the same thing to Australian students, there'd be a slight problem.

Most uni students in Australia are eighteen and above. Eighteen is the legal voting age in Australia.

The only reason the government doesn't fuck Aussies over like they did Kiwis and permanent residents, is because Aussies have the power to fuck the current government off. Kiwis and Permanent residents don't.

epsilon

HSC
Haha, what's done is done. But wait till July, when I get my citizenship, and 2007, when the next general election comes. Liberal ain't getting my vote for the next 5 elections, even if Labor appoints a chimpanzee as it's leader :)

epsilon

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea, it really sucks that people like you get to vote.
Get used to it dude. Soon, my taxes are gonna pay for your mum's retirement village expenses.

berghousemaa

HSC
The reason they have not done the same thing to Aus citizens is because the numbers show that the numbers who do leave are not significant to affect any change.
This is the opposite to the numbers of PR's.
Although it is unfortunate that this must be done, it is a relatively simple procedure for PR's to become Aus citizens. Not sure though about NZ citizens.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
PRs who take out Citizenship are my inclined to remain in Australia than those who don't. Of course Australian Citizens can skip the country, but we are more inclined to remain here, as statistics have shown.

It wasn't hidden, as absolution pointed out. It is only fair, that those who are likley to say should be able to take up a defered HECS place as they are more likely to remain in Australia. Too many PRs leave at the completion of their degree, give nthing back to Australia, instead just having the Government and, in turn, Australian Tax Payers pay for their tertiary education. It's about time they did this, and if you don't like it, go back to your native country and do your tertiary education there. You already recive a Govrenment Funded place, either get Citizenship or stop complaining.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)