Perm / Comb question - please help (1 Viewer)

kimtuluu

HSC
In how many ways can we divide a group of 12 people into a group of 5 and a group of 7

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A

And, by the symmetry property, these two expressions are the same.

kimtuluu

HSC

And, by the symmetry property, these two expressions are the same.
Many thanks.
My answer for this question was 1630497100946.png.
Could you please also help with the next 2 questions
1) In how many ways can 12 people be divided into two groups of 6?
2) In how many ways can 12 people be divided into two groups of 6 if two of the people, Jack and Jill, must be in the same group?

idkkdi

HSC
Many thanks.
My answer for this question was View attachment 31895.
Could you please also help with the next 2 questions
1) In how many ways can 12 people be divided into two groups of 6?
2) In how many ways can 12 people be divided into two groups of 6 if two of the people, Jack and Jill, must be in the same group?
12C6/2

10C4

idkkdi

HSC
Many thanks. Just wonder if you could help explaining how to get to those answers
1) logic works same as here

2) u fix jack and jill in one group. then 10C4 the other 4. might be wrong here dunno

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
My advice on these questions is to imagine that you have the people in front of you and have to actually do the task.

So, for the first question, I have 12 people in front of me and I need one group of 5 and one group of 7.

Method 1:
  • I can choose 5 for the first group from the 12 people in 12 choose 5 ways.
  • I have seven people left, all of whom need to go into the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • So, the total is

Method 2:
  • I can choose 7 for the first group from the 12 people in 12 choose 7 ways.
  • I have five people left, all of whom need to go into the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • So, the total is

Method 3:
  • I can go through the 12 people, assigning each of them in sequence to either group 1 or group 2.
  • What results is a arrangement of 12 items, five labelled as '1' and seven labelled as '2', which is identical (in combinatorial terms) to a "word" made up of 12 letters, five of which are "a"'s and seven of which are "b"'s.
  • So, the total is

For the second question, we have 12 people and need two groups of 6. This is very similar to the first question, but with a trick. Using any of the three methods illustrated above, you should get the same result

However, if we name the 12 people as A, B, C, D, E, F, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z, and place A, B, C, D, E, and F, into group 1 and place U, V, W, X, Y, and Z into group 2, then we have the same outcome as if we place U, V, W, X, Y, and Z into group 1 and A, B, C, D, E, and F, into group 2. In other words, because the groups are the same size and the labels "1" and "2" are arbitrary and not meaningful, we have double counted every possibility. Thus, the actual result is that

Now, if the question had made the groups different then the double counting had not occurred. For example, if we have 12 children who will undertake two activities, and we need one group of six to do activity A then B and another group of six to do activity B then activity A, then the number of ways is as the A then B group is different from the B then A group. Similarly, if the two groups were doing the same activity at the same time but one with teacher A and one with teacher B then again there would be 924 ways.

Now, the third question has Jack and Jill amongst the 12 people, and again specifies two groups of six.

Method 1:
  • We can now designate a Jack and Jill group and place them into it in 1 way.
  • The remaining four people in this group need to be selected from the 10 left, and so in 10 choose 4 ways.
  • We are then left with people to go in the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • The groups are now not interchangeable because one has Jack and Jill and one does not.
  • So, the total is

Method 2:
  • I can place Jack and Jill in the "J" group in 1 way.
  • I can go through the 10 remaining people, assigning each of them as "J" (the Jack and Jill group) or "N", the non-Jack-and-Jill group.
  • For two groups of six in total, this group of 10 people needs to have four people labelled as "J" and six labelled as "N". This is identical (in combinatorial terms) to a "word" made up of 10 letters, four of which are "J"'s and six of which are "N"'s.
  • So, the total is

kimtuluu

HSC
My advice on these questions is to imagine that you have the people in front of you and have to actually do the task.

So, for the first question, I have 12 people in front of me and I need one group of 5 and one group of 7.

Method 1:
  • I can choose 5 for the first group from the 12 people in 12 choose 5 ways.
  • I have seven people left, all of whom need to go into the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • So, the total is

Method 2:
  • I can choose 7 for the first group from the 12 people in 12 choose 7 ways.
  • I have five people left, all of whom need to go into the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • So, the total is

Method 3:
  • I can go through the 12 people, assigning each of them in sequence to either group 1 or group 2.
  • What results is a arrangement of 12 items, five labelled as '1' and seven labelled as '2', which is identical (in combinatorial terms) to a "word" made up of 12 letters, five of which are "a"'s and seven of which are "b"'s.
  • So, the total is

For the second question, we have 12 people and need two groups of 6. This is very similar to the first question, but with a trick. Using any of the three methods illustrated above, you should get the same result

However, if we name the 12 people as A, B, C, D, E, F, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z, and place A, B, C, D, E, and F, into group 1 and place U, V, W, X, Y, and Z into group 2, then we have the same outcome as if we place U, V, W, X, Y, and Z into group 1 and A, B, C, D, E, and F, into group 2. In other words, because the groups are the same size and the labels "1" and "2" are arbitrary and not meaningful, we have double counted every possibility. Thus, the actual result is that

Now, if the question had made the groups different then the double counting had not occurred. For example, if we have 12 children who will undertake two activities, and we need one group of six to do activity A then B and another group of six to do activity B then activity A, then the number of ways is as the A then B group is different from the B then A group. Similarly, if the two groups were doing the same activity at the same time but one with teacher A and one with teacher B then again there would be 924 ways.

Now, the third question has Jack and Jill amongst the 12 people, and again specifies two groups of six.

Method 1:
  • We can now designate a Jack and Jill group and place them into it in 1 way.
  • The remaining four people in this group need to be selected from the 10 left, and so in 10 choose 4 ways.
  • We are then left with people to go in the second group, which can be done in only one way.
  • The groups are now not interchangeable because one has Jack and Jill and one does not.
  • So, the total is

Method 2:
  • I can place Jack and Jill in the "J" group in 1 way.
  • I can go through the 10 remaining people, assigning each of them as "J" (the Jack and Jill group) or "N", the non-Jack-and-Jill group.
  • For two groups of six in total, this group of 10 people needs to have four people labelled as "J" and six labelled as "N". This is identical (in combinatorial terms) to a "word" made up of 10 letters, four of which are "J"'s and six of which are "N"'s.
  • So, the total is

Many thanks for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)