Periclean Athens - Law Courts (1 Viewer)

butterflybird

HSC
Right, for my trial short answer society questions for Greece in the time of Pericles... the last one was about the law courts, with the klepsydra as the piece of evidence. I took one look at it and went *hmm no* and consequently HAD to pick the other society for the short answer. Fortunately this didn't go too badly... however...
What WOULD one say about the law courts? All I could think of was ostracism, or maybe trials.... does democracy count in all of this? That could provide some room for waffle...

Anyway hope u can understand my thought process up there ^.

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Athenian Law Courts (dikasteria)

You need to know:
*how the juries work
*how trials were conducted
*numbers on juries
*how jurors were selected
*types of punishment
*the allotment machines and how they worked (ballots, how they were cast...)
*the water clock to time speeches
*examples of trials
These are just some examples of things to look at. The list of resources below are worth checking out.

Some useful resources are:
Aristophanes, The Wasps
Plato, The Trial of Socrates
Speeches of Lysias
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1984/2/84.02.08.x.html#b (re Athenian Law Courts)
Aristotle, The Athenian Constitution (1984)Raphael Sealey, The Athenian Republic: Democracy or Rule of Law? (1987)
I.F. Stone, The Trial of Socrates (1989)

http://www.curriculum.edu.au/democracy/ddunits/guide/g3a_lawrights.htm

Hope this helps!
Magister :)

Carnivour

HSC
Archons

Hey, this is sorta relevant to this thread, so I thought I'd ask it here.

Was the Areopagus (the court that deals with homicide) made up of Archons? Is that all the Archons did - presided as magistrates over homicide cases? Because I have read several times that the Areopagus was made up of ex-archons, so if they were ex-archons, what were their actual proffesion?

Also, before democracy, Athens was ruled by an oligarchy, right? Which was in essence the Areopagus. Am I right in saying that? And if the Areopagus was primarily a law institutions, that means that the oligarchy was maintainted through an aristocratic monopoly of the judicial system. Am I right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)