• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
has anyone seen this/going to see this?
it's directed by Tom Tykwer of Run, Lola, Run Fame

anyways, it annoyed the shit out of me. it was very poorly structured and its tone/narrative would shift very suddenly. i feel like i saw two and a half movies. the original novel has an 'unfilmable' reputation and this only furthers that claim.
some visually interesting moments but not enough to make up...

0Jade0

HSC
Going to see it. I need to convince people to come see it first.
Basically I am seeing it because of Alan Rickman, though I do like the book.

walrusbear

HSC
the book looks interesting
parts of it would apparently be 'magic realism', which didn't really translate well onscreen this time

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Yeah I knew it'd be pretty poor after seeing the trailer because the novel describes Grenouille (sp) as grotesquely disfigured, which the leading man surely isn't.

I'll probably end up seeing it though because I have this strange obsession with Dustin Hoffman.

And Run Lola Run is one of my all-time favourite films.

icecreamdisco

HSC
damn, i was looking forward to this. :(

i'll probably check it out anyway. i've enjoyed the 3 tykwer films i've seen (RLR, wintersleepers, princess & the warrior).

icecreamdisco

HSC
man... i really dug this?

the tonal shifts didn't bother me much; i got pretty much sucked in from the start and knew it'd be one of those films where i'd enjoy whatever crazy direction it goes. i was entranced by the go-for-broke style - those last 30 minutes are among the most crazy and exhilirating i've seen in a while. i can honestly say that i've never seen smell attempted to be captured on film, and tywker did a mostly bang-up job at it.

only things that didn't work for me were dustin hoffman (has he ever been this bad?), the actress who played the redhead chick was AWFUL, and the investigation of the murder was a bit dull. the length was bothersome, but i'm personally glad to get out of the heat these days, so i'll let that slide.

someone agree w/ me, plz?!

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
hahhaa
fair enough
the ending was nothing if not 'out there'
by that stage i was ready to pull out my hair though
the investigation scene goes for like an hour and is completely boring

the beginning and end should be matched up a lot sooner and with something more relevant 'tween

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Oh no is Dustin bad?

I will never see it if he is.
Whenever I see my favouriteleading men in bad films I get all flustered and bothered.

'Author, Author' anyone?

*vomits*

icecreamdisco

HSC
AlleyCat said:
Oh no is Dustin bad?

I will never see it if he is.
Whenever I see my favouriteleading men in bad films I get all flustered and bothered.

'Author, Author' anyone?

*vomits*
well, he actually kinda fits the film's schizophrenic tone (whether it's on purpose or not is another matter) and at least he seems to be having fun.

still, everytime he read a new line, i'd think to myself "DO IT DUSTIN! MANAGE THAT FRENCH ACCENT!", and to little satisfaction.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
well, he actually kinda fits the film's schizophrenic tone (whether it's on purpose or not is another matter) and at least he seems to be having fun.

still, everytime he read a new line, i'd think to myself "DO IT DUSTIN! MANAGE THAT FRENCH ACCENT!", and to little satisfaction.
Hhhahaha...

I heart Dustin though, so I'll turn a blind eye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)