performance poetry for ee2? (1 Viewer)

holycarp!

HSC
i really really want to do performance poetry for ee2 next year [although people are advising me against it because, well, iv never written poetry before]. but it seems that not many people have done it, or if they have, are very secretive about it. is it because its a new option or is it just risky business?

+ if you have done performance poetry in the past, what were your concepts? I had to scrap mine because my teacher told me it was way to elaborate for the medium..

Last edited:

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
its just not very popular cause its dying form of literature. I intially started out in this medium. (ended up being told by my teacherthat I should have stuck with it), its very fun to do cause you can have lots of fun and give the poetry more meaning. if you want to do it do it. Thats my 2c.

zomgliekwtf

HSC
No one reads or listens to poetry anymore :< I guess that may be part of the reason.

I did performance poetryyy! ^^ I didn't even know the category existed 'till my teacher was like "Hey! Your concept would be awesome as a series of performance poems!" and I was like "a what?" And then she explained it to me, but I wasn't so keen on it. Then, after writing my first poem, I thought it'd sound better than it looked ._. so I went with it and it was good!

Luci C

HSC
Right, well I did performance poetry this year. I wouldn't say it's a dying form of literature, there are poetry slams going on everywhere. But it is a risky choice. Lots of people who do performance poetry don't do it very well (ie it's either pretentious or boring or both) so it gets a bad rap. But I know two people who have done incredible things for ext2 with it (and got 49 and the first 50 given for ext2 performance poetry).

My advice (for what it's worth): listen to some stuff wherever you can find it. Tug Dumbly, pi.O., there's a lot out there, particularly in the US atm, if you like it and it works for what you want to do, do it. Then listen to the showcases but be really critical, almost all of what I heard in showcase I wouldn't want to emulate. I would say look at what they do, then trash it. Show that you know the rules and can bend them.

Good luck! :party:

zomgliekwtf

HSC
I didn't know what a poetry jam was 'till after I handed my major work in. Lol *fail*.

I pretty much performed a sonnet, a dramatic monologue, a nursery rhyme and some other poemesque thing which I cbf to explain, and had music + screaming + teacup bashing + raping etc. going on in the background.

Err, hopefully they'll like my mw for being all unique and stuff xD

BUT THE POINT IS, it's great <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)