• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Perfect related text - COMMUNITY (TV Series) (2 Viewers)

Mdzabakly

HSC
yea i think with as you like it and community go well together.
Forest of Arden/ greendale college.
in forest rosalind works to bring the 4 couples together included herself/ Jeff, although showing contempt and selfishness eventually works to change their relationship from a study group to a freindship. “ youve just stopeed being a study group,you’ve become something unstoppable i hereby prenounce you a community”

CommunityFan

HSC
this was the past thread link about community as related text on this forum

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=267029

I'm doing Catcher in the Rye at the moment for my related text and I'm probably not going to change this late, but hypothetically, would the show be a good related text? It's my favourite show on TV, there's heaps of themes woven into it and I know basically everything about it and can quote huge parts of it off the top of my head.

If I was going to do the whole TV show, i'd talk about how the classes are a metaphor for how everyone in the study group develops their sense of belonging to each other - Spanish: Learning to Communicate, Anthropology: Forming a "tribe", Biology: Learning to evolve. I could also talk about how their very narrow sense of belonging to each other has resulted in their isolation from everyone else. Good idea?
wow thats a good text :O
Don't do the entire tv show. Do an episode.

But even then, doing your favourite tv show is a pretty big risk. I know I could talk about 'not belonging' in pretty much every Survivor episode (especially getting voted out), but I'd worry about retelling rather than....explaining.
Hey,

I'm doing an episode of community too: Introduction To Film Studies

I think you should do it! It's a really great text (and show :) )
these are some of the posts.... and as of this point, I cannot contribute further to the thread since my HSC is coming up, feel free for 2013 HSC members to contribute to this thread meanwhile until I'm back :D

CommunityFan

HSC

nice belonging images just as a thought, first one is on the pulp fiction episode and second picture set is emphasizing Britta's personal identity

this is my last post for now I swear and COMMUNITY SEASON 4 RETURNS ON 19TH OCTOBER FRIDAYS 8:30 PM EAST COAST USA, DURING OUR HSC PERIOD =.=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_(season_4)

Last edited:

CommunityFan

HSC
its nowhere stated that I'm not allowed to bump, technically not contributing to the information for "community" TV series or anything :D

CommunityFan

HSC
If anyone is looking to do a related text in relations to Community :p

the Title of this TV show already says A LOT about COMMUNITY and how its relations to the world and familial and whatever sense of belonging :D

CaffeineMotor

HSC
Having already loved this show so much, this thread has made me a very happy person XD

There's so much to use to relate to Belonging.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
Modern Family's also a pretty good related text for those looking out for one

Mdzabakly

HSC
Did you focus on one episode or the whole series when you did it?

CommunityFan

HSC
I focused on the whole series :)

I tried to focus on an episode before (never on the actual exams), in my circumstances this one episode (Aerodynamics of Gender) It just has too much content ironically to focus and to relate in the connection sense of belonging :D so I thought, the whole series seems to be more neatly packaged in the themes.

CommunityFan

HSC
Modern Family's also a pretty good related text for those looking out for one
Technically it is a familial belonging so it is true :p and especially with the obvious sense of belonging from Modern Family = already 2 idea of theme "Modern" and "Family"

However Community provides a more versatile sense of belonging. It just doesn't limit it to sense of familial sense. Although Modern family provide good philosophical advice in relationship sense, Community provides a larger theme, more philosophical reflection as well as striking to the increasing societal dependence on Media ;)

I'll provide you guys more info as soon as my HSC is over or when I have time in between

Mdzabakly

HSC
I focused on the whole series :)

I tried to focus on an episode before (never on the actual exams), in my circumstances this one episode (Aerodynamics of Gender) It just has too much content ironically to focus and to relate in the connection sense of belonging :D so I thought, the whole series seems to be more neatly packaged in the themes.
Well i've been told by multiple people that u should focus on one webisode but i think i could also pull it off for a whole series thingy.
When you did it how did you talk about certain scene's throughout the whole series which depict the theme?

CommunityFan

HSC
I focus a lot on the common theme between the main text and the related text, that way I could easily incorporate the stuff out from the series. Sometimes it is hard to talk about a particular episode since when you want to outline character's background, it's too much, cos then u have to relate that to the episode (at least that was my case). I tend to focus more about the character's development and implications in their surroundings, I talk about a few scene techniques to justify it like e.g. Body shots and camera angle or even certain lighting techniques to emphasis character's persona. Also location of Greendale community college. The college theme of life "second chance" etc something like that. It can really make you a bit emotional thinking about the character's life and hope, stuff like that :p

Also you want to focus on the dialogue and the discussions that the study group focuses, also power and all that stuff with crappy bureaucracy of Dean Pelton or remarks on Jeff's failed lawyer career or something. Britta's anarchist perspective, Pierce's age and his attempt to be accepted and find sense of family, Abed meta-narrative perspective of his life and so on. In my case, thats how I talk about the whole series with mentions of example episodes with a very brief outline if possible. I didn't outline the example episodes in one of my essays but my teacher doesn't really care, as long as you answered the question and relate that to belonging themes. I cross referenced teachers my essays, secretly about outlining brief episode examples, none of them commented and they said that my essay was solid :p

It is certainly easier to talk about a movie than a TV series, in my case I happened to love Community, and the fact that one episode contain so much theme (I do recommend "The Pilot" though since its a build up of character's story and theme if you insist on doing an episode) I do the whole series instead, to give me a comprehensive yet succinct information about character's development and changing perspective

Last edited:

CommunityFan

HSC
BELONGING TO PERCEPTION OF SELF

Identity: Social, Ethnic, Political, Cultural

Belonging to Ethnical sense, cultural and social and to some extent, political degree in a mediocre degree with the Dean and the school's officials.... is the biggest feature of a self perception of each characters in "Community". Race talks appear frequently in season 1 especially between Pierce and the minorities of the group. Annie being a Jewish as well as Abed sense of pop cultural belonging and interpretation of everyone as a character of a TV show (Ironically they are :D) such a clever meta-narrative. This list is endless

Singular or Multiple

Whether a character has different perceptions of self around others or act differently in different situations. Not a common topic discussed but certainly showed plenty of times with Jeff's life outside of study group. Abed portraying characters and emotions in order to communicate effectively. Troy's naivety sometimes led him to be the child of the study group alongside with Pierce's stubbornness despite his old age. Many more can be outlines in examples of the school's image and attitude as well. Especially Dean's concern of school reputation driven him to insanity at times

Restrictive/Real/Biased

Obvious example would be Shirley's moral conduct from her Christianity belief limits her sense of perspective and judgment at times. Real perception of Britta of her awareness for humanity concerns and her goofyness at the same time. Possibly very Biased perspective of the study group of Ben Chang in later seasons. However evidence does suggest that Chang (slow hands clap....) maybe is crazy. Dean's costume wearing obsessions and fetish to a certain extent question such mysterious personality of merely a provocative complicated yet complacent messenger or simply a drag queen??

Power

Power plays central role of the study group and the institution of Greendale college. Jeff's natural yet narcisstic leadership have successfully guided the study group through the good and bad times. The role of study group in changing the face of the college became central theme of their lives and school's reputation as evident with their adventures and missions portrayed in Season 2. Greendale's poor political performance by an eccentric Dean became primary concerns of the students representation and their state of education. However it gives sense of empowerment also since they can pretty much do "whatever" they want or necessary :D

Exclusion

Exclusion of identities as explained earlier, guided by character's features of race, beliefs, social power or their mere personalities. Chang provides a perfect sense of exclusion. His craziness however sometimes very hard to be interpreted by mere logic. In Jeff winger's speech in episode "Asian Population Studies" stripped naked of Chang's worst qualities which interestingly create an opposite effect of trust and sense of understanding. Pierce's old age become factor within study groups social discussions and concerns. Often his incidental racism or discriminating comments become main issues. He effectively become the study group's scape goat, essential for the survival of the group

Possession/Ownership/Control

Dean's perception of being obsessed building a better and excellent school takes him far into the darkest side of Greendale characters, Jeff's political control of the study group put to the test during Abed's reign of chicken fingers power in the college. The idea of leadership and innovation is challenged by Abed's incidental role of the provider for the study group's wants. Countless possessions idea presented throughout series

Acceptance

Major theme of Greendale's Community slogan "You're already accepted" is quite symbolic in the sense that school's low reputation creates sense of safety net and "Chance" to fix and begin lives again. All character (except Abed) of the study group come to the school due to their past failures. Jeff's failed lawyer career, Shirley's divorced single mother (initially), Britta's gaining sense of orderly society from running of all her life with anarchy, Troy's lost football scholarship, Annie's high school breakdown from her drug attachment, Pierce's loneliness finding sense of familial relationship and youthfullness and so on. Acceptance evident across all level of the series. As well as demonstrated highly by the school's multiculturalism and so on. Endless list of examples

Mdzabakly

HSC
Just wanted to thank you !!
i just finished my speech using community, and when i was going through the draft with my teacher she really liked it and she said that she wanted to watch the series now .

CommunityFan

HSC
I am very glad that I can help someone's HSC especially using my favourite show as a way to vent off my obsession with it :D, more stuff still to come ;)

HSC FOR ME IS OVEEERRRR!!! NO MOAR HSC EVAAA!!

CommunityFan

HSC
THE DEAN, the beloved head of Greendale Community College

Complicated personality indeed yet he is super Naive!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)