People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
hahahahaha

I doubt if the human brain is capable of effective study for ten hours a day every day for any period of time, long or short....in fact i know this...

monza dude, im much the same as you....you robably could ahve done better if you worked like a slave, but in the end, who really cares

kevinexcs

hey all
just started yr 12
seriously howd you all get like above 90's for all those subjects
casue does it mean you all got like 100% for all class assessments??
also if i do score above 90 for all my assessment tasks, well estimating i would pretty much get 80% for the subject =/
i currently do 4unit maths, adv eng,physics, chem and itm
i heard that itm gets scaled down... and im still wondering if i should drop it or not. does the uai mark get scaled up for more subjects?
and for those 4unit maths students
any of you bombed an assessment task??? like below 50%, were you able to still score over 90 for it??

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by kevinexcs
hey all
just started yr 12
seriously howd you all get like above 90's for all those subjects
casue does it mean you all got like 100% for all class assessments??
No...I got band 6 in 13 units and I don't think I got 100% in any assessment all year LOL! What you need is a decent ranking and mark.

also if i do score above 90 for all my assessment tasks, well estimating i would pretty much get 80% for the subject =/
i currently do 4unit maths, adv eng,physics, chem and itm
i heard that itm gets scaled down... and im still wondering if i should drop it or not. does the uai mark get scaled up for more subjects?
and for those 4unit maths students
any of you bombed an assessment task??? like below 50%, were you able to still score over 90 for it??
Sorry, I don't know about ITM. I did the first four and then 3U French. The UAI is not a mark, it is a rank - University Admissions Index. The number of subjects you do doesn't matter, it's the marks that count.

As I said in another topic...I bombed an assessment in 4U with 44/90 (half-yearly), got 92 in the exam in the end and counted it in my 99.85. 4U scaled above my sciences though my mark there was higher, I ended up counting only 1 unit of them.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
SLEEP is one important aspect of getting through the HSC year. . .unfortunately i was so addicted to coffee that sleep was really hard to get bfore trials and the actual exams!!!

nomza

HSC
Utopian -- EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Kevinexcs -- I totally bombed in TWO exams for General maths, I got 56% for one assessment and 58% for another. Soooo bad, but in the HSC I got 90% and ended up getting an overal marks of 86 which I was pretty happy with.

What you HAVE to remember is that the examination marks you get (the marks you get for the actual HSC exam you do) are already effected by scaling and therefore you'll never know what you ACTUALLY got. If you're in a good school (like I was) certain exams you think you bombed in you actually do well, EG: In english adv (modules paper) I did the powerplay in LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!!!!! I went way over time for in the wild, shaved a little bit of time off poetry and totally rushed my shakespeare so badly.

I ended up with a mark of 89 for english advanced.

The only subject I got 100% in regards to assessment was in English Ext 2 -- and you know what?? The ended up being my lowest contributor to my UAI!!! So it doesn't always matter what your assessment marks are. ALSO think fo this, say you get 23/25 for something, but that's the top mark, in a way that is like getting 100% because that's the top mark, no one got above that.

But I wouldn't get too worried about assessments, they are helpful if you get a low HSC mark because when they average it out it turns out better.....but if you go to a good school and your hsc marks are scaled up you'll do fine -- believe me, you usually do better than you think you will. I thought I'd get about 75-80 for all my HSC marks.....I ended getting 85-90.

Just do your best and don't lose the plot if you get bad in one assessment, as you've seen with my general maths marks.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Yes i also got scaled up. In English i got 65% in one assesment task and 76% for trials but then for the HSM i actually got 86. . .Also for modern History i consistently got in the 70's but for the HSC i ended up with 85.

However some subjects were scaled down like Legal studies i got 98, 100, 91 and 92 for the assesments including trials but ended up with a HSC mark of 89:mad:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
put simply - the hsc marks you receive a meddled with alot by the board of studies ... and in the end its the rank that really matters ...:)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Well basically, if you do bludge subjects that no one else studies for - like IPT, and you study for them, then you'll easilly kick everyone elses butts. This works well for Religion too, because 99% of the people doing it are doing it because they have to. So if you study for them, you'll automatically do better than most of the candidates who dont really give two hoots.

Re: ppl who got >90 in subjects how did u study?!?!

It depends on how academically able you are. i just studied between a week or two for every major exam.Try to give equal time to each subject so you can achieve similar marks in everything.Maybe you should pay a bit more attention to things you are weaker in.

Originally posted by Mambomeg
PS - thought I might add, you cant do all bludge subjects, coz the scaling can hurt if you dont get way up near the top
you don't need to be at the top to get 90+, caus competiveness varies across different schools.Someone who gets 98 in every task at one school may be in the middle of the class in another.You just need to perform at a similar standard that the top people do.

it's really annoying how you really don't know what you'll get, caus the bloody teachers mark at different difficulties then others.
What the?

It's stupid! if the syllabus for a subject is the sample teacher across schools should mark in a similar way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
It's stupid! if the syllabus for a subject is the sample teacher across schools should mark in a similar way.
It's impossible for all teachers at every school to mark in exactly the same way, which is why all assessment marks are moderated according to the performance of each class on the (common) HSC exam paper.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
thanks for the replies
now i understand
though my school sucks
-_-
So does mine... it's okay... try to use that in your advantage :p

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

So does mine... it's okay... try to use that in your advantage :p
doesnt the class avg come into it?

i heard if u got a mark of 90 in james ruse and the same mark(doing exactly the same subjects) in school where the avg mark is 70, doesnt it make a difference??:confused:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
No - it all evens out.

If the class at James Ruse performs better on the HSC exam than a class at another school, then that class will have higher moderated assessment marks than the class at the other school. And there's no special advantage or bonus in this process; if the teachers at Ruse knew how to mark to HSC standards, and could judge each student perfectly, they would have been assigned those high assessment marks to begin with (and hence their moderated ones would be no different).

The same sort of compensation process is applied when each school has their assessment marks moderated.

Re: ppl who got >90 in subjects how did u study?!?!

Originally posted by chocomello
just out of curiosity all the people who got over 90 in subjects, what study methods/tips can u give the new yr 12's?
it's really up to you, but i studied with some breaks and studied really hard on the things i was weaker in

Originally posted by zannaz
SLEEP is one important aspect of getting through the HSC year. . .unfortunately i was so addicted to coffee that sleep was really hard to get bfore trials and the actual exams!!!
yeh i find that chocolate does the same thing,if i couldn't get to sleep i would take headache tablets

Originally posted by Lazarus
No - it all evens out.
there's something strange goin on in ruse-i mean how do they get over 600 mentions in the honour roll this yr?

Originally posted by countess_kalina
I made my notes, typed them up, then recorded them onto tape using a dictaphone, then listened to them over and over and over - anywhere I went, my walkman went with me. Listened to it while walking, listened to it as I was falling asleep at night.

Also, use a rewards system, you don't want to torture yourself. Personally I love listening to music, so start by using that as a reward if you're listening to your notes. Once you've listened to your notes for 2 hours, allow yourself a CD.
i had a friend who typed them up, but he didn't get enough time to study them.What were your rewards- no study at all for a year?

Originally posted by pri
did that actually work well for you do u reckon like listen to the notes again and again coz I heard about that technique but its effectiveness I havent seen until now... Hmm do u increase productiveness if u listen while u sleeep :) zzzzzzz
yeh i agree, i think that if i taped my notes i would get sick of my own voice and then i would fall asleep listening to me

Originally posted by schwang_thang
hmmm bascially, do ur h/w :D

abt a wk or 2 b4 exams write ur notes based entirely on the syllabus n make sure u know all the crap abt assessing the importance of...(yada yada yada) n all the analysing stuff. bout it.
that's true, i did that and you can't lose by doing that cause the exam can't be based on non-syllabus content.My ag exam didn't do this though

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)