People, other than the Princep. (1 Viewer)

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
Assess the contribution of people other than the princeps in the development and administration of the Empire.

This is the essay question i received. Ive chosen to write about Seneca, Germanicus, Agrippina the younger and Livia. So far ive found info for Ag and Seneca, but im having trouble finding info for Germanicus and Livia.

Any help would be appreciated. And any suggestions on others i can write about would help too. (no praetorians)

Thanks =)

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
I wonder if the question is referring to officials and groups rather than individuals, since it does not specify a particular princeps. In other words, is it asking you to discuss the roles of memebers of the imperial family, legati augusti, procurators, senatorial governors, senatorials generally, equestrians, the military, publicani and so on. If it does refer to individuals, I think that in any case you would need to discuss such officials and groups. Individuals who spring to mind as possible relevant choices include Marcus Agrippa, Quinctilius Varus, Agrippina I and II, Germanicus, Tiberius (as commander), Seneca, Aulus Plautius, Suetonius Paulinus, Julius Classicianus, Agricola, Vespasian (as commander of Legio II), Julius Vindex, Corbulo, the engineer Apollodorus of Damascus, and perhaps poets like Virgil and historians like Pliny who provided an intellectual imperial ethos.

Wikipedia is a great starting point for many of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
hmm, not sure about that. Underneath the question, it highlights the syllabus points to research. Here they are:

- imperial family and problems of the succession: Livia, Julia, Germanicus, Agrippina the Elder, Messalina, Agrippina the Younger.
- role and contribution of Seneca.

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
It sounds like you have to focus on those individuals. Do you have marking guidelines attached to the task? You'll find some material on Agrippina !, Germanicus and Agrippa, summarised from Barret and Griffith (using their own words so you can quote and cite if relevant) here:

http://caratacus.journalspace.com/?entryid=1380

I hope to put some more up on Livia etc later.

X

xeuyrawp

The praetorian guard, especially later in the period, and the freemen are also important.

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
Yeah, but our teacher said they fall under a different syllabus point and arent required for this question. Doesnt affect the marking criteria.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)