• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
rofl the small gaps between the keys on the keyboard will fuckin shit everyone off.

food + small shit will go through.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I was about to post that up, but the specs =/= MBP

Adamo xps is also very sexy.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Who cares if it's thin? Just means you gotta carry around an external Disc Drive cause they're too small to have one.

Useless feature.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Small things typically heat up quicker.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Well, ProTools is much easier to set up and run on a Mac system because for some reason the program rejects certain types of hardware that may be installed into the PC. It's a very fussy program.

It just accepts everything in Mac though lol.
I have never had a problem installing ProTools on Windows... with any hardware...

And I've worked enough in ProTools to know that it DOESN'T like everything on a Mac... It gets shitted with a whole heap of external HDDs, gets shitted with its own interfaces when the program lags up... which is often during editing.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I have never had a problem installing ProTools on Windows... with any hardware...

And I've worked enough in ProTools to know that it DOESN'T like everything on a Mac... It gets shitted with a whole heap of external HDDs, gets shitted with its own interfaces when the program lags up... which is often during editing.
Different to my experiences lol.

But that's all we have I guess.

xelaseer

HSC
My only defence about owning a mac is the fact that they are the industry standard in the field I wish to work in. The best Audio Editing suite (for that fact, almost all industry standard multimedia platforms) are either Mac native, or designed by Mac and run better on it.
That might have been the case in the past but now thats pure myth. I'm not attacking you personally so please don't take this as such but this argument seems to get tossed around every time someone argues the merits of macs and pcs.

Working in a game studio currently and with a background in web design, the studios now use PCs. The modellers use maya and 3ds max, the texture artists and graphic designers use illustrator and photoshop, the composer uses sonar and the web designers use dreamweaver and fireworks, hell the script writers use microsoft office.

All of these programs are the industry standards and they all run on pcs, none are designed by mac and are most definately not mac native. It's simply much more cost effective for a studio to use pcs, better performance for less cost with the industry standard software. It is business after all.

Last edited:

Teclis

HSC
That might have been the case in the past but now thats pure myth. I'm not attacking you personally so please don't take this as such but this argument seems to get tossed around every time someone argues the merits of macs and pcs.

Working in a game studio currently and with a background in web design, the studios now use PCs. The modellers use maya and 3ds max, the texture artists and graphic designers use illustrator and photoshop, the composer uses sonar and the web designers use dreamweaver and fireworks, hell the script writers use microsoft office.

All of these programs are the industry standards and they all run on pcs, none are designed by mac and are most definately not mac native. It's simply much more cost effective for a studio to use pcs, better performance for less cost with the industry standard software. It is business after all.
Uhhhh...

He's talking about Audio Engineering....

And I'm 100% sure that Mac's are the Industry standard there, as much as I hate to admit it, in terms of recording, for some bizarre reason, things just sound better when recorded on a Mac...

and then they usually just mix on a Mac because it's recorded on a Mac.

The guy at your Studio using Sonar is a git... Sonar is far outstripped by all of Steinberg's programs, Pro Tools... hell even Mackie's Tracktion is more useable and has better accessibilty to good plugins...

xelaseer

HSC
Uhhhh...

He's talking about Audio Engineering....

And I'm 100% sure that Mac's are the Industry standard there, as much as I hate to admit it, in terms of recording, for some bizarre reason, things just sound better when recorded on a Mac...

and then they usually just mix on a Mac because it's recorded on a Mac.

The guy at your Studio using Sonar is a git... Sonar is far outstripped by all of Steinberg's programs, Pro Tools... hell even Mackie's Tracktion is more useable and has better accessibilty to good plugins...
My only defence about owning a mac is the fact that they are the industry standard in the field I wish to work in. The best Audio Editing suite (for that fact, almost all industry standard multimedia platforms) are either Mac native, or designed by Mac and run better on it.
Uh I think you missed that point....

Btw our composer is fantastic, he worked on the music for lost the tv series and although he can be stubborn he isn't a git. There is no actual reason apart from user differences that could possibly make a mac sound better. All the sound hardware that works on a mac will work on a pc, if its external. As for internal cards a professional wouldn't use one anyway as an external DAC is far higher quality, although the options are there for pc if you want them. There may be other programs that are more usable only for the mac but provided the user knows how to get professional sound quality out of it then what does it matter.

Teclis

HSC
Uh I think you missed that point....

Btw our composer is fantastic, he worked on the music for lost the tv series and although he can be stubborn he isn't a git. There is no actual reason apart from user differences that could possibly make a mac sound better. All the sound hardware that works on a mac will work on a pc, if its external. As for internal cards a professional wouldn't use one anyway as an external DAC is far higher quality, although the options are there for pc if you want them. There may be other programs that are more usable only for the mac but provided the user knows how to get professional sound quality out of it then what does it matter.
See I thought this way too...

Until I was actually sat down by an engineer and had him using the same equipment except for a computer record a guy playing the same thing twice and the Mac one just sounded... better... that I believed him...

No one knows why, they suspect it may have something to do with the way that the UNIX foundation of Mac works...

And who is your composer? I don't mean he's a crap composer... I just mean he's a git for using a program that is quite limited in many aspects... as well as having poor plugins for basic functions like EQ and compression

hugh2112

HSC
They may look good (nobody can deny that) but they do have their own problems, such as overheating. The new 17" Macbook Pro's Core i7 overheats at full load, peaking at around the 100 degree mark. The tester/reviewer also ran the same tests on a Fujitsu Lifebook SH 760 and it ran 20 degrees cooler.
Too bad the slim body of the Macbook Pro prevents heat dissipitation...

Check the link: Macbook Pro helps Core i7 hit 100 Degrees - News - PC Authority

joshhunt

HSC
tbh 95%+ of macfags only have it for the image

fuckin drones
I must admit, one of the main reasons that I love my Macbook so much is because of the image and the luxury of it.

Macs are just a luxury item, much like a BMW or Volkswagen. You are paying more money for mostly image. Sure, Macbooks and (BMW cars) are built to higher quality and more attention is paid to the detail put into these products (for example, there is a person at Apple who is paid to decide on what screw that should be used underneath the rubber feet on the Macbook) is much higher than that that you would find in a Toshiba or a Toyota.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I must admit, one of the main reasons that I love my Macbook so much is because of the image and the luxury of it.

Macs are just a luxury item, much like a BMW or Volkswagen. You are paying more money for mostly image. Sure, Macbooks and (BMW cars) are built to higher quality and more attention is paid to the detail put into these products (for example, there is a person at Apple who is paid to decide on what screw that should be used underneath the rubber feet on the Macbook) is much higher than that that you would find in a Toshiba or a Toyota.
Id buy a S1000RR because its one of the best Sports bikes out.

Mayazcherquoi

HSC
If all you are required to do is wank in front of a Apple sign, then yeah sure. I'd install Windows + Linux after receiving it though >:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)