Paying back HECS (1 Viewer)

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
I heard that you don't have to pay HECS if you move overseas......even if you're earning over the cut-off. Is this true ? Thanks

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Umm i dont think anyone would let you get away without paying a $20,000 debt. I hope you realise they have ALL your details when you apply for a TFN and when you check out of the country, then they can track you down. They'll even charge you if they can prove that your sole purpose is to run away from it.

hatty

Banned
i hate vets, once my dog swallowed some poison that i used in the garden to kill snails, and the doctor charged me a good $500, just to cure the little mut, he ended up running away a few months later

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
i'm not planning on running away from it, i've always known that i'd end up going back to england to live and work. plus how can 'they' be after me ? if you had to pay it back while overseas wouldn't they make it illegal not to do so ?

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
i am the same.. i planned to work in the middle east when i finished.. i intend to pay, its just that there seems to be more opportunity (for me) in the middle east.. there has to be a way.. maybe even payin when you come back.. if i remember there isnt much tax in dubai if at all lol..(where i wanna go or saudi)

S

Shuter

They aren't going to track you down, specifically if you just move there to work/start a life rather than purely running away, they can't actually do alot, and at the least to make you pay they'd have to extrodite you back to Australia which is a costly operation they probably wouldn't bother with.

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
They aren't going to track you down, specifically if you just move there to work/start a life rather than purely running away, they can't actually do alot, and at the least to make you pay they'd have to extrodite you back to Australia which is a costly operation they probably wouldn't bother with.
that's what i figured. and there have got to be heaps of aussies living overseas that have a HECS/FEE debt and i'm sure not all of them are paying it back.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you don't pay it back unless you are earning an Australian salary and are taxed in Australia.

That's the reason why the government doesn't allow permanent residents to defer HECS, they have to pay all upfront.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Minai said:
Yes, you don't pay it back unless you are earning an Australian salary and are taxed in Australia.

That's the reason why the government doesn't allow permanent residents to defer HECS, they have to pay all upfront.
cool....*plans permanent holiday to random overseas destination just to avoid paying back HECS*

klh

HSC
i thought that the government made laws so that you have to pay them back becoz too many people knew about this 'loophole', so they dealt wiht it quickly.
also, i advise you to please pay your debt, the australian government contributes to your education, its would be nice if they got it back. i mean, it will be a burden to those who are staying here who have to pay tax.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)