Pathways (1 Viewer)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
My friend is doing pathways.. he actually got time to bludge, darn bludger!!!

so I guess he's loving it (apart from staying in Highschool for another year.)

Cab31

HSC
If he has time to bludge why is he doing it?
Seriously people that do it with real reasons dont have spare time, they spend it training, resting (from viruses such as glandular fever), trying to keep up with the subjects that they are doing etc.

arrested development
HSC
EnterNameHere said:
Were you considering doing pathways with tafe or at school? im currently at TAFE finishing off what was meant to be two subjects but turned into five. i highly recommend it. i suggest you look into completing pathways at tafe rather than school as the envronment is so much more conductive to learning. not to mention the fact that school assemblies are abolished forever :)
As for those who think it is a 'cop-out', i understand where your coming from, but let me assure you; no-one does more than one year of the hsc for fun. it honestly takes a hell of alot of dedication and commitment. my particular problem was not that i had a disabilty, but that the subjects i was told to take by the so-called careers advisor, were totally inappropriate for anything i wanted to get into (or really anything at all). i dont consider that to be an abuse of the system, but thats a matter of opinion.

anyone who is concerned or angered about competing with such students, rest assured. Speaking for my particular tafe, (which only offers combined year 11 + 12 hsc courses over one year) i dont think we are a real threat. in fact, we are still on preliminary topics, and are sitting the hsc on the same day as every other hsc student.

This leaves us two terms to fully learn an entire HSC course, starting from scratch.

i realise this is not representitive of the pathways population, but hopefully it may put your mind at ease that not all pathways students are super smart or bludgers. :)

But Zoe, in all honesty, pathways is an awesome option. you just have to be sure that you can handle more than one hsc year and choose the right school/tafe to complete it at.

Well, what I plan to do is complete Advanced English, Music and Modern History with my current school/class. Then for the 2nd half I will go to a different school for Drama, EE1 and EE2 as this particular school excels greatly in English and Drama.

I have decided that I am definitely going to do pathways because of personal reasons that I fear would otherwise jeapordise my chances at making it all the way to the end of year 12 (ie. with a full load of subjects).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Cab31 said:
The people who choose to abuse this should be penalised.
No they shouldn't. An extra year in high school is enough punishment.

Cab31

HSC
neo_o said:
No they shouldn't. An extra year in high school is enough punishment.

But how different is it from someone who doesnt get a high enough UAI and has to waste a minimum of a year trying to upgrade into the course they want to do?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
It is different in that for various reasons these people may not even be eligible for a UAI, regardless of their possible capability at university. Also it should be noted that like any other the HSC is a course which is used for opportunity further on, and those who undergo the HSC have in no way had their opportunities reduced by those undergoing Pathways whether at school or TAFE. Also you cannot penalise someone for what you percieve as a time advantage, none of the people undergoing have that advantage I assure you, including myself. And if you did desire a penalty put in place for a lower workload, why not penalise those doing only 10 units? As they would have much more time than someone undergoing 14 units.

Cab31

HSC
kami said:
It is different in that for various reasons these people may not even be eligible for a UAI, regardless of their possible capability at university. Also it should be noted that like any other the HSC is a course which is used for opportunity further on, and those who undergo the HSC have in no way had their opportunities reduced by those undergoing Pathways whether at school or TAFE. Also you cannot penalise someone for what you percieve as a time advantage, none of the people undergoing have that advantage I assure you, including myself. And if you did desire a penalty put in place for a lower workload, why not penalise those doing only 10 units? As they would have much more time than someone undergoing 14 units.
I am not against the system...if you had read my posts you would have noted that i have a sister who did pathways. What i am against are people like a girl that finished last year that did pathways so they could get a really high uai for entry into a course. This person got 99.95 - think about the person who just missed out on that course that now has to do waste their own time trying to get into that course when they should have been in it in the first place. How is that fair? this person used their additional time as an advantage over others - not to keep up with them.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Cab31 said:
I am not against the system...if you had read my posts you would have noted that i have a sister who did pathways. What i am against are people like a girl that finished last year that did pathways so they could get a really high uai for entry into a course. This person got 99.95 - think about the person who just missed out on that course that now has to do waste their own time trying to get into that course when they should have been in it in the first place. How is that fair? this person used their additional time as an advantage over others - not to keep up with them.
Then I apologise for misreading your post, but in truth how is using Pathways in the fashion you describe any different from someone who chooses subjects for scaling in order to gain a higher UAI? Or accelerants who would have extra time due to their early completion of certain subjects? Or those who undertake the IB diploma and gain places in uni, which raises the cutoff even though we are not scaled alongside them? Which really you summed up yourself.
Cab31 said:
But how different is it from someone who doesnt get a high enough UAI and has to waste a minimum of a year trying to upgrade into the course they want to do?
It isn't different, the UAI is determined by how many places offered, and these places can be filled by HSC students, IB students, TAFE diploma students and uni students, the only real difference is that is cheaper and that it helps others with genuine issues to do Pathways, something which none of the other options do to that extent.

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
Pathways cannot be abused. Everyone has the right to complete year 12 from 1 to 5 years, so for whatever reason, they may have an extra advantage in some cases, but everyone else has that choice too. I did pathways because of medical reasons, and it was really good choice. Sure an extra year of school doesn't sound too great, but it did me much more good than harm in that if I did year 12 over 1 year instead, I would be in a lot more pain right now. Of course, pathways is there for the people who need it, or choose it - some people it suits, others it doesn't. It really depends on the person, but I have to say I found it fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)