Pathways ppl? (1 Viewer)

OS

Banned
HSC
Hey, just wondering if there are many fellow Pathways ppl ot there? (Ppl doing the Pathways program - HSC over 2 or more years, a few subjects per year on a part-time basis.) I am doing my third HSC year this year and am doing English (Standard). Seems I am one of a small few (especially doing 2+ years). Anyone else out there in the same boat? How are you doing? How have you found the program? What made you decide to do your HSC the longer (but easier) way? Plz reply fellow Pathwayers...

phatic

HSC
I'm just about to start it this year... Gonna do English Advanced, EE1, EE2, and 2 unit Studies of Religion at North Sydney TAFE. Only as a one year course though. I got a really poor UAI (67) the first time round, and I want to get into a BA, so I need about 88 this time. Should be fun...

How are you going with it? Whats the study load like?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
The only pathways people I saw didnt put any effort into their hsc.

I think the Pathways program is a waste of a year, unless you're a retart.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Pathways is a really good idea. I knew someone doing it when I was in year 12. She did 3 subjects one year and 2 subjects the next year. And a good friend of mine was going to do it when she was diagnosed with physocis and depression. I was going to do it, but i thought that I wouldn't loose interest going to school for like one or two subjects each week.

Its a great opportunity for those who can't cope well under pressure or who have been seriously sick during school.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
i aslo thinks it good to get a part-time job when your doing pathways too, so you can fill some of your time unless your under some kind of big circumstances like your really sick or something

lala2

Banned
HSC
my friend's doing it, she was diagnosed with cancer, but it's all good now. she's doing 4U MAths and 3U Jap this yaer, and 3U Eng, Physics and Eco next year. We had someone else do 3U Maths, 3U Eng, Bio and Chem last year, and is completing pathways this year, doing Modern History and Eco........oh yeah, OS, what subjects have you done so far, in which years, and are you planning to do any more?

wanton-wonton

HSC
jumb said:

I couldn't agree more. Even few of the Year 12's in my school (who SHOULD have now finished their HSC), are doing pathways since they haven't done jackshit in the HSC years.

Biggest waste of a year, especially at school, who can fucking stand it!

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
im doing pathways.
im finding it much easier to catch up on missed out work from when i go to hospital during school, and when im not at school due to kidney problems and pyschotic depression.
ive already completed standard englsih and ancient history, and this year im doing pd health, legal studies and hospitality.
and then i plan to go to 313 enterainment, arts and media next year and do a few music courses then apply to uni as a mature aged student and do pyschology and law.

OS

Banned
HSC
Hey jumb,

Pathways is NOT a waste of time - it is THE MORE PRODUCTIVE USE OF TIME. How can trying to cram in content for 5-6 subjects be using your time wisely if you cannot cope with it and am not going to do well. And Pathways ppl are not retarded - quite the contrary - they are people willing to put the extra time into doing extra well. Many are also committed to other pursuits like sport at an elite level, or have been ill/ are ill in some way. So there!

OS

Banned
HSC
Hey mmm sofay,

Good on you for committing to 3 years of HSC study with the problems you stated you are suffering from. I know how you feel - wanting to get ahead but these probs keep pulling down and making it all seem so much longer. By the way, if you don't mind, have you ever been hospitalised for your depression? Have you ever visited Redbank House? Just wondering.. Best of luck this year.

OS

Banned
HSC
Hey lala 2,

I am doing Standard English this year, did Studies of Religion and General Maths in 2004 and Italian Continuers and Biology in 2003. I am dreading English this year though - ESSAYS!!!

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
we had a girl in our class doing her 4th year pathway, she didn't really do much

HSC
I'm doing pathways coz i got sick last yr and couldnt physically finish all my subjects, so i did 6 units last yr and im doing 4 units this yr at TAFE, rather than going back to school which would drive me insane!!! for me it was really good to sign onto it - i could arrive at school when my lessons were and left when they finished rather then staying there for the whole 6 periods a day - usually i only had 3 periods/day, and that let me rest at home and focus on getting better. my only regret with it is that i wish that id signed on sooner, coz i spent a term sick at home, stressing and pulling my hair out about 2 subjects which i wasnt even gonna do that yr.

so yeah, this will be my 2nd yr of the HSC, and atm im trying to convice my friends to go on a second schoolies with me to commemorate me actually finishing school this time!

alzeari

Alzeari!!!
HSC
jumb said:

well i think u should be less advert! has it occured to u that ppl who do pathways may have their own reasons, not that they have a disability!?

yo, OS, i agree with u about using time more productively, thats why i needed to do it over 2 yrs. im just finishing my first yr and im so scared about going back. the yr below me is full of the
biggest idiots, and i dont think im going to cope!

i feel like the hardest thing to go through is the way that ppl think that im retarded cos i do it, when im not, i just wanna make sure i dont skrew this up!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I really dislike how certain people have given the Pathways program a bad name.

It is designed for....

-Students with physical health issues that would not be able to cope and achieve their full potential in a full time one year HSC program of study (Students with viral illnesses, disabilities, serious injuries etc)

-Students with serious mental/emotional problems that would not be able to cope with the stress of the HSC in one full year (eg. Depression, OCD, Bi-Polar etc)

-Students who have to work to help support their families.

-Students who spend a lot of time off school caring for a sick family member.

In these cases, Pathways is probably the best option for these students to get their HSC. It is a much better option then dropping out completely (which a lot of these students might do if it weren't for Pathways)

The students should be commended for trying despite difficulties to receive a Higher School Certificate.

The program is also designed for elite athletes and peformers, who spend a lot of time away from school because of those commitments. Personally I don't know why you wouldn't just drop that for a year to do your HSC, but if it's what you love and you simply can't give it up.... that's okay then.

I hate the idea of people doing Pathways just for an extra bludge time. It's not fair on the students doing the HSC full time, and it's also not fair on those doing Pathways who really NEED it - as it gives the program a bad name.

As for kids doing it to acheive a super-high UAI (oooo that rhymed) I guess it's up to them. I admit it's not entirely fair on those doing the course in one year, but remember that they also have to spend another entire year at high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)