Pastiche/ Intertextuality in Orlando (1 Viewer)

52526Emmy

HSC
Does anyone know the names of any paintings, plays or poetry used as pastiche/intertextuality in Orlando? Also, what is the difference between pastiche and intertextuality?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
52526Emmy said:
Does anyone know the names of any paintings, plays or poetry used as pastiche/intertextuality in Orlando? Also, what is the difference between pastiche and intertextuality?
pastiche is the combining of different styles / genres. think of something like baz luhrmann's romeo and juliet. the opening petrol station scene is obviously part of the western genre. other parts of the movie are romance, teenpic etc.

intertextuality is a reference to or quoting of other texts and important people often through allusion.

in orlando, from memory:

- at the gathering of the poets, there are important figues there, i think pope is one that is called by name (this is important, because he had died prior to when this scene is actually set)

- there is a reference to one of shakespeare's sonnets - i think it is the beginning of "poetry" where orlando is reading a poem? you will have to research it to find out which one it is, i dont have my notes to tell you

- there is a scene where orlando is watching a play, he is watching othello.

there are propably others, it's just a matter of sitting down, watching it, and noting any references to other texts.

for pastiche, again, you will have to sit down and think about the style of genre at different points, but the most obvious use of pastiche in my mind is te use of the romantic genre when shelmerdine is introduced - he comes riding in on horseback, slow motion, listen to the music. you could even go as far as comedy i guess, when he falls off his horse. but its just a matter of pointing out use of varied genres in the film.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
this stuff is in my collection of notes that you can access through the resources section of the main BOS site

52526Emmy

HSC
Thanks for your explanations and btw absolution I have read you notes which are very good, thanks. However, I was wondering if anyone knew the names of any paintings/artworks that are used? For example, is the house being wrapped up in Birth from an artwork? And i think the scene where Orlando and Shelmerdine wake up is a painting.

emmeline

HSC
another form of intertextuality is that Orlando is deeply intertextual in its very nature - its based on the novel 'Orlando' by Virginia Woolf. Also with what was said before about the poets scene, one of the poets is Alexander Pope who wrote greatly with the sacred feminine, his poem Eloisa to Abelard is a love story that praises the strength of women so it is a form of irony that Potter puts him in that scene speaking so derogatorily of women. theres more but i cant remember off the top of my head so ill write more when i bring my notes home from school, hope this helps

Quilan

HSC
Well the wrapping up of stuff is alluding to Christo, thought i dont think its any particular work of his/their's.

most of the poems used are existing ones (such as Orlando reciting in the beggining) - most, i think except the Nick Greene one. just tap them in google and find the name. I haven't looked at absoultion's notes so i dont know if he's mentioned them already...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)