PAST HSC'ers (1 Viewer)

omgd.

HSC
N/A
I'm just curious. A lot of people in my school ( very smart people ) have done bad in their half yearlies, as a result of one thing or another. And the teachers keep telling them your half yearlies don't matter, apparently it happens every year and people still manage to do well.

But the thing with my school is that the teachers try very hard not to put pressure on you, so i cant tell if they're being nice, or honest.

I am one of those people. I don't want to go calling myself smart, but like all I am capable of doing well, and definitely could have done much better than what I did. ( i mis looked a 7 mark question in legal studies, i mis timed my exam in english ) - was very stressed, and did very stupid things sigh*

So anyway, i just wanted to hear from past HSC'ers, any of you guys do really crap, or just not crap but maybe get a not so great rank and then manage to make a really big recovery by the end of internal assessments ?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I'm just curious. A lot of people in my school ( very smart people ) have done bad in their half yearlies, as a result of one thing or another. And the teachers keep telling them your half yearlies don't matter, apparently it happens every year and people still manage to do well.

But the thing with my school is that the teachers try very hard not to put pressure on you, so i cant tell if they're being nice, or honest.

I am one of those people. I don't want to go calling myself smart, but like all I am capable of doing well, and definitely could have done much better than what I did. ( i mis looked a 7 mark question in legal studies, i mis timed my exam in english ) - was very stressed, and did very stupid things sigh*

So anyway, i just wanted to hear from past HSC'ers, any of you guys do really crap, or just not crap but maybe get a not so great rank and then manage to make a really big recovery by the end of internal assessments ?
You're in the same situation as me.

Although my input won't be as valid, based from my experiences last year - half yearlies don't make much of a difference. Internally, I think I was on 70% for 2U maths, however I ended up getting a Band 6 - so I don't think it matters too much.

HOWEVER, in saying that, I myself am still a current HSC student, so my input might not be totally accurate and applicable to all situations/subjects.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
You're in the same situation as me.

Although my input won't be as valid, based from my experiences last year - half yearlies don't make much of a difference. Internally, I think I was on 70% for 2U maths, however I ended up getting a Band 6 - so I don't think it matters too much.

HOWEVER, in saying that, I myself am still a current HSC student, so my input might not be totally accurate and applicable to all situations/subjects.
ooo reallly !
well since you did do one HSC subject
it does still count :D
anything with positive answers, counts :p

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
This happened to alot of my friends, who are incredibly smart.

My close friend only just got 70s in all of her subjects and she's a regular 'first in the year' type.

Perhaps the pressure is mounting, and its usually those who want to succeed who come under the most pressure.

But it's not over till' it's over.

Kiim2507

HSC
My year did really really badly on half yearlies and trials...a lot of people failed and the average marks for a lot of subjects where around 50's or 60's.

The purposely make the half yearlies and trials harder (or rather mark them harder) to scare you into working and studying. My year mostly did alright in the end so yeah.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

A lot of schools make your half yearlies, trials etc... extremely hard just to make sure the students study for the actual hsc exam, like in a school everyone failed trials but ended up doing well in the hsc (even the dux failed) LOL! but that being said, I'm sure if everyone did poorly, your marks will be aligned up by your school and positions will be kept.

I'm only a prelim student, but just going from what I know :), hope it helps

omgd.

HSC
N/A
thnx guys :)

But i meant like, not the school setting hard exams, but just if you made stupid mistakes which ruined your chances. I cant remember if i mentioned earlier but

1) I missed a 7mark question in legal studies. Like literally didn't notice it and didn't answer it. Only realized when i got my exam back, and my rank dropped from 3rd to 9th because of just 5 marks

2) I was so stressed in English i didn't even think things through. But anyway, my teacher said that we should spend 40mins each on listening and on creative. I thought he meant 40minutes answering listening, i didn't realize that included listening to the tape. And then by the time i finished 40mins on my listening i was 20mins over. That stressed me out and i forgot my essay because i kept thinking i was over time, and then in the end i was left with 10mins to do my creative.

3) In my history exam we have a section where any essay could come up from the 15 or so dot points. I made prepared essays, one essay i was sure was going to come up so i studied most for that. Then just before the exam i went to clarify something with my teacher who looked at my notes and said i missed a lot of things, and what i had would only get me an average mark. I panicked and changed it to my second option for an essay, and because i only did this 10mins before an exam i couldn't remember any quotes/evidence. IN history if you don't source everything you say our school gives really harsh marks ie 8/25 Anyway, later the teacher realized she only saw one page of the notes and there was 5 and she made her assumption based on that. THis is when i told her how i messed up after the exam and she looked over my notes again.

So yeah, basically thats what i mean. Like partially it was my stupidity, but under the stress and pressure i wasn't thinking logically for any 3 of those situations and i got immense bad luck in them. Specially since English was the most weighting assessmnt for english and legal was the only assessmnt left before trials.

So basically, anyone who did really bad in half yearlies able to make a really decent rebut before HSC ? I'm aiming for a 98......

M

moye1025

As long as your rankings in your subjects are good you have nothing to worry about come HSC time.

muscleman09

HSC
As long as your rankings in your subjects are good you have nothing to worry about come HSC time.

this

by the END of your trial examinations, you want all your subject's rankings to be in the top 1-5% of the total students completing that course. Ideally, if you are aiming for 95+ UAI ( still achievable even if you have stuffed up so far and coming 40/50 for every subject < rough example...
just work hard every upcoming assessment, you will see the guys who have been going well, coming top 10 start to slack of, your ranks will climb up)

because once the trials are over, its all up to you, to go well in the HSC exams.
Once trials are over, its too late for you to improve rankings.

if you got 50/100 for 2unit math, and the 2nd mark was 49, ur RANKED 1ST

FORGET MARKS worry bout the ranking u get.

im doing crappy so far... i need to be in top 15-20 for each of my subjects to get 89+ whilst doing well in hsc... :S it will happen.

just get ur ranking to top 5% at max.... then only focus on hsc, u will be sweet:headbang:

Ak0ona-Matata

HSC
ur half yearlies and trials r a pretty good indicator of ur final hsc marks
u may go up or down by a few marks if u put a little more effort
but other than that dnt expect an extreme shift!
good luck :)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
yep, i agree with this.
I really hope so.
But thinking about year 11, I started with a crap mark/rank in chem and climbed up to the top so rank/mark may indeed change dramatically.

dp624

HSC
@muscleman
well you are ranked first
but if you get a similar raw mark in the hsc you're goners

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
yep, i agree with this.
And I disagree.

Lol. What about other external factors that may influence your results negatively, such as losing someone, having disability problems or being really sick during the exam? What if someone brings themselves up by working hard and smart? Your statement is shit, vague and invalid kthx.

But expect an extreme shift if you're willing to put in the hard yards and not fuck around. There have been stories where people have scored terribly in the half yearly, but absolutely kill the trials/final HSC exam ranking wise. This is because they've been capable in scoring high ranks in the past and have that extra potential and determination to do well.

That is all.

Last edited:

alanna4545

HSC
I failed my half yearly for ancient history and ended up with a band 5 scoring 86 in the end so don't fret

2S1D3

HSC
To the O.P., fuck I've said this to so many 09ers its not funny, first of all stop worrying, second of all i got 56% in Standard English for the trials, keep in mind this is fucking standard english and it was the fucking trials, I ended up getting 91% for my HSC mark.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)