Past Globalisation Questions (1 Viewer)

BrotherJim

HSC
I may be going crazy here but when i looked at the past paper essay questions i realised something. our textbook only talks about how globalisation impacts THE GLOBAL ECONOMY and doesnt give specific details about how it impacts Australia. so basically....

HOW THE F**K DO WE WRITE A 6 PAGE ESSAY ABOUT HOW GLOBALISATION IMPACTS AUSTRALIA????

thankyou..

zedzed

HSC
globalisation has had HEAPS of impacts on australia because we're one of the few economies that have embraced it.

actors/drivers of globalisation: trade, financial flows, investment flows, labour flows, technology flows, international business cycle, international organisation, TNCs, govts, trading blocs/agreements

in an essay you'd write about how each of these actors/drivers of globalisation has impacted on the economic issues in topic 3. eg. deregulation of financial markets -> increased financial and investment flows into australia -> funded investments and fueled economic growth but conversely has also worsed the balance of payments. of course you'd back it up with relevant statistics and data.

zedzed

HSC
huh? :confused:

sure, you can talk about topic 2 if you like.

HSC
but isn't it? I don't know. haha. But if it was me, I'd do it. But then.. I'm not very smart. haha...

So do you think its better to do Topic 1 and then add some australia's involvement.. or topic 2?

What do u think? lol

bede007

HSC
entirely unrelated to zedzed,
dont say australia is one of the few countries which has embraced globalisation in an essay because that is wrong. Australia still has extensive protectionist policys, whereas a large number of poorer (often developing) countires have opened up much more freely to trade liberalisation (often through international pressure... look up the 'washington consensus')

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
BrotherJim said:
I may be going crazy here but when i looked at the past paper essay questions i realised something. our textbook only talks about how globalisation impacts THE GLOBAL ECONOMY and doesnt give specific details about how it impacts Australia. so basically....

HOW THE F**K DO WE WRITE A 6 PAGE ESSAY ABOUT HOW GLOBALISATION IMPACTS AUSTRALIA????

thankyou..

for an essay like that:

• define globalisation
  • features of globalisation - the global economy, who is in it, who they r (examples)
  • process of globalisation - trade, investment, BLAH
  • define australia as a globalised ecnomoy
  • deinfe free trade - impact on protection policy - impact of those policies (or lack of it) on aus
  • define external stability - impact on E.S (u can bullcrap ages for this)

heaps

zedzed

HSC
bede007 said:
entirely unrelated to zedzed,
dont say australia is one of the few countries which has embraced globalisation in an essay because that is wrong. Australia still has extensive protectionist policys, whereas a large number of poorer (often developing) countires have opened up much more freely to trade liberalisation (often through international pressure... look up the 'washington consensus')
i tend to disagree.

australia is one of the LEAST protected economies in the world. australia's aim is to trade as much as they can. one of its main strategies has been unilateral policies to reduce protection across all industries. this has seen export growth surge exponentially. we're one of the few countries who really support the WTO trade talks and if the negotiations on agriculture were successful it would really open up our export market. this is because we're a resource rich economy. our economic growth depends on trade because it makes up such a large proportion of GDP.

we still have a fair amount of protection in the TCF and PMV industries because of political constraints - can you imagine the uproar if all those people employed in those industries lost their jobs? we also have certain levels of protection in agriculture even though we have a comparative advantage in these goods but only because the rest of the world is so heavily protected. otherwise general tariffs are lowww.

bede007

HSC
haha, yay economics arguments... were cool.
im just trying to point out that australia (and other economically dominant nations) have not embraced globalisation to the extent to which they have effectivley forced developing natioins with unrepayable debts to in the washington consensus. if austrlia had embraced trade liberalisation to the same extent that countries such as zambia have been effectively forced to there would have been a massive hollowing out of the labour force (as you pointed out).
sure, to some extent we have embraced globalisation (where it has been beneficial to our levels of wealth) but we are by no means forerunners.

im going to stop before i go off on a further tangent.

luck for tuesday everyone...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
BrotherJim said:

thankyou..
6 pages?? You need at least 10 depending on your writing size.

Here's my plan.

-Define globalisation
-analyse features in detail-he changes in investment, trade, labour market,
-analyse impacts on living standards and income inequality and economic growth
-free trade and benefits
-policies such as protectionism, deregulation of financial markets, WTO
-Benefits and costs of globalisation eg. international business cycles, economic growth

Also, analyse how globalisation has affected, if they ask for it, Australia's trade, investment, external stability.

This topic is generic, it can suit Australia like it can suit China or any other country.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)