PASS leader (1 Viewer)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Yeah but I didn't just get over 75 - I got a HD in Micro - admittedly I don't have a HD average like some students - I have a D average and do Comm/Law.

I think i must have failed the macro final for me not to have had an interview. However with that being said I DO NOT KNOW what the our cohort is like but I have to say that I think they only take asians/non-whites for PASS leaders - in both first and second semester I think I came across 1 white person who taught PASS - this is in both Quant and Econ AND Accounting.

Maybe it's just my imagination - does anyone agree/disagree with me?

Hmmm, well considering that the people I know who were 2009 PASS leaders, they were all averaging HD in their first year subjects. Mind you, some of them were Com/LLB, the others are first year com/law transfers (2nd year commerce). So... I'm not too sure myself, but maybe they are being very selective.

I remember applying for a PASS leader position at USYD last year as well, and they were uber selective with the candidates. I got in for an interview but in the end all of the successful applicants were Com/LLB and all had scholarships >_>

Perhaps UNSW just trying to mirror USYD. Don't let it make you feel down, just try again next year Com/LLB buddy.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Yea mayber that's it - where you need that HD average in your first year subjects. I still think it's rude of them to simply say you need a D in the required subjects when in essence you have to do Law, have to have a scholarship, a HD average and then of course be able to teach.

Then again with that being said, the majority of the PASS leaders are disgusting - don't get me wrong there are some really really smart and intelligent leaders who can teach you alot but many others who are a joke.

I guess the interviewers simply want the HD Law student you are on paper.

runnable

HSC
in essence you have to do Law, have to have a scholarship, a HD average and then of course be able to teach.
I really don't think that is the case. They never asked me if I have a scholarship.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Yea mayber that's it - where you need that HD average in your first year subjects. I still think it's rude of them to simply say you need a D in the required subjects when in essence you have to do Law, have to have a scholarship, a HD average and then of course be able to teach.

Then again with that being said, the majority of the PASS leaders are disgusting - don't get me wrong there are some really really smart and intelligent leaders who can teach you alot but many others who are a joke.

I guess the interviewers simply want the HD Law student you are on paper.

Not true. Just because it just so happens that a lot (more than 50% it seems) are students that are studying law, does not mean that that they are specifically looking for those who are law students too and are HDers. It is a coincidence that they are all-rounders too and have other attributes to their name.

Although clearly the quality of PASS leaders goes up/down each year like most things, overall they aren't too bad and it really depends on the cohort each year that applies. I know for one, that last year's cohort was really lacking, which is why they decided to keep an extra past PASS leader rather than the usual 2.

You definitely do not need a HD in all your first year subjects, let alone the subjects that you are apply to. Clearly it would be an advantage, but they also look closely at your extra-curriculars and achievements etc. If you're lacking in that area and also only have a minimum D, then clearly they'd select someone else for an interview who has a higher grade than you and if their extra-curric's sucked too.

Last edited:

munchiecrunchie

HSC
I got a PASS Interview for Eco - they were definitely not interested in whether I had scholarships, had a HD average, etc etc

I think the fact that I do Law worked against me, because they became concerned about whether I had the time to take on PASS commitments :S

They spent most of their time asking me to teach them Macro. It was much more focused on whether you can actually teach the subject, with clarity of explanation and voice.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
The written application never allowed one to demonstrate whether they were involved in a range of extracurricular activities and with that - while doing law may be more time consuming than a straight commerce degree - is it not simply coincidental that 90 percent of the Quant/Econ PASS leaders this past year do Law. So obviously their concerns are not of great significance.

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Also to munchiecrunchie - of course theyre not going to discuss academic success - they have your UAI, your Tertiary results and any scholarships all at the press of a button. While UAI and scholarships may not be important at all, my point is that they arent going to discuss that knowing that they already have that information at hand.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
Also to munchiecrunchie - of course theyre not going to discuss academic success - they have your UAI, your Tertiary results and any scholarships all at the press of a button. While UAI and scholarships may not be important at all, my point is that they arent going to discuss that knowing that they already have that information at hand.
I agree; I was merely pointing out that scholarships and marks are not the sole criteria they seek.

The written application never allowed one to demonstrate whether they were involved in a range of extracurricular activities
I found that I was able to talk about plenty of extra curricular involvement in my application.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
I agree; I was merely pointing out that scholarships and marks are not the sole criteria they seek.

I found that I was able to talk about plenty of extra curricular involvement in my application.

lolol Hi Ashna, I think you were in my Torts class this semester with Selwyn. Please correct me if I'm wrong :p

Btw congratulations on getting an interview opportunity :D

munchiecrunchie

HSC
lolol Hi Ashna, I think you were in my Torts class this semester with Selwyn. Please correct me if I'm wrong :p

Btw congratulations on getting an interview opportunity :D
Hey!

Your stalking skills are spot on . . . hahah :p

But mine are obviously whacked coz I can't figure out who you are! So sorry!

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Hey!

Your stalking skills are spot on . . . hahah :p

But mine are obviously whacked coz I can't figure out who you are! So sorry!

lolol I saw that link in your post regarding tutoring and it came up with your name :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)