pass..faill??-feedback from past HSC stucents please=) (1 Viewer)

evablazin69

HSC
just wana get some feedback on the HSC..my sista done it shhes smart but on the otha hand im dumb loll..i try my hardest n study lyk hell buh still faill..any solution??...coz i knw i can do it but still faill in the examz!!!:burn::burn:...

feedddbackk neeeded plzzzzzzzzz:santa:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
try and find out what you're doing wrong.
remember its not the quantity of study, its the quality of study.

maybe you're not studying efficiently? or effectivley?

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
If you're so sure you are gonna fail the HSC exams, make sure you get a top assessment ranking and leach off the smart people...
Stupid flawed assessment moderation system allowing dopes to get scaled up relying on the smarter people in their cohort just because they beat them in an internal assessment...

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Btw...how exactly do you study? Or for how long?
And what subs do you do because they all have to be approached in a different way...

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
just steal ur sisters notes.

and i certainly hope u dont write like that in english exams

Loz_metalhead

HSC
What subjects do you do? Tell us how you study for them. Everybody studies differently. For me, I basically memorised everything, but I always made sure I understood the course content aswell. I think the key to HSC success is to understand what you are learning and then apply the information you have studied e.g. past papers, study guides with revision questions etc

evablazin69

HSC
ari89 said:
Btw...how exactly do you study? Or for how long?
And what subs do you do because they all have to be approached in a different way...
I do general maths, standard english, food technology, Information Processes & Technology,Business Studies, Studies of Religion 1.

and i try 2 study 1/2 an hour on each subject..revising on notes and stuff:worried:

T

Testpilot

2.5 hours is a little too long for a study session. Try to keep them between 40 minutes to an hour. Then get up go for a walk or something, just so long as it is different so you 'refresh' your brain.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i think length depends on the person. if you can comfortably do 2.5 hrs per subject thats great

my suggestions: [this is what i do]

for maths:
dont worry about notes. notes are a basic starting point. what you do in school for notes is enough. for studying, just do questions and questions, redo your mistakes, attempt a wide range of different kinds of questions

for english:
make notes & do revise your texts,
but also remember to actually practice writing. hand in your written pieces to your teacher for feedback, and work on improving.

SOR1:
make notes and revise them. might like to practice some essay writing.

business studies:
make notes, and revise them,
but also, very importantly, practice questions. from leading edge etc, practice short answers/essay give them in to teachers.

dont know about food tech :)

personally, i believe that notes are good up till a certain point. but you dont get marks for notes. you get marks for performing well in the exam. so i try to make half my study consist of practice: be it questions, short answers, essays or multiple choice

hope that helps :)

T

Testpilot

-pari- said:
i think length depends on the person. if you can comfortably do 2.5 hrs per subject thats great
I meant doing 2.5 hours without moving, just studying. I'm not saying that 2.5 hours is too much study, I'm just saying that your study will be more effective if you have short breaks (they only need to be 10 minutes or so).

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Trust me, so long as you actually try in the HSC it is nearly impossible to "fail". I think you'd have to be trying to fail to achieve that. :p

A good way I found to study was to make summaries, then read them over and summarise those summaries further, and then just keep on summarising them over and over and use the short summaries at the end to revise just before exams. Re-summarising work really helps the information stick in. For subjects like Food tech and business making summaries based on each dot point in the syllabus is a good way to do it.

Also take regular breaks. You can only focus for so long before you're mind begins to drift, I took a short break every half hour or whenever I felt myself getting tired. Go listen to some music, have a short walk or just have something to eat - it helps refresh your mind. Switching subjects or just topics every now and then also helps.

Maths;

Just do practice papers and questions as much as you can, because the more you practice the more prepared you'll be. I did advanced so I'm not sure what general is like, but it would probably help you to make short summaries of each chapter with just the main processes and formulas. Get as many text books as you can (those Excel Revise HSC in a Month ones are really good) so you'll have heaps of questions to practice.

English;

Start off by reading through as many notes as you can on your texts (class notes, bored of studies notes, text books etc) to increase your knowledge and understanding of the them. Then make summaries of the main points, themes etc in each of your texts. There's heaps of summaries on here that can help when you're trying to make you're own, and use google to :p

Collect as many essays as you can (get those Board of Studies HSC student answers books, it helps a lot to see how a band 6/5 response is structured) and go through and highlight important points and sentences that are worded really well. Pay attention to how they are structured as well because it will help you when you come to writing your own. For example, some choose to structure their paragraphs by text, others by theme etc.

Write you're own practice essays based on past questions etc, the more practice the better you'll get! You can start of by writing them with access to your notes and as much time as you need, but as you get closer to exams start practicing them in 40minute time brackets and without your notes. Have one generic essay that you can cut & paste/change under exams conditions to suit any question that you get, memories it and read it over as often as you can -- that's all I did in the last few days leading up the HSC exam.

Also, don't think that you cant study for section 1 and 2 of paper one. Practice as many past papers as you can to get used to responding to the type of questions you'll get for Section 1. That way you wont end up wasting time by writing half a page for just a 2 mark question under exam conditions. Have 2 or even 3 creative writing responses prepared ahead of time as well, and memorise!

Best of luck :)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
-pari- said:
try and find out what you're doing wrong.
remember its not the quantity of study, its the quality of study.

maybe you're not studying efficiently? or effectivley?
Couldn't have said it any better. That is in fact the perfect method to tackle this situation.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks alot for the tips/hints Sprinklers~, appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)