Participants and Users? (1 Viewer)

vee303

HSC
Could someone please clarify the difference between a participant and an explicit user, i can't seem to find any resources that compare the two terms.

I know a participant is someone involved in the seven processes, however what separates a user from the participant?

barnsey88

HSC
PARTICIPANTS are people who carry out the information processes, impacting on them. e.g a customer using an ATM (collecting)

USERS are people who use the system as an end product either directly or indirectly. End users are normally only interested in the information that the system produces and have little or no involvement in how the information is produced. e.g a shopper at a supermarket

Nerd Queen

"Oh God, I could be bounded in a nut-shell, and co
HSC
I thought a participant is someone who is actually involved in the processes (like a teller at the bank, who analyse and organise etc) while a user is someone who (like the customer at the atm) and to quote the above "use the system as an end product".

I mite b rong or we mite b saying the same thing, i found that explaination a tad confusing (no offence).

so yeah not sure if wat i sed is rite though, that is just my understanding

word.

HSC
Nerd Queen said:
I thought a participant is someone who is actually involved in the processes (like a teller at the bank, who analyse and organise etc) while a user is someone who (like the customer at the atm) and to quote the above "use the system as an end product".

I mite b rong or we mite b saying the same thing, i found that explaination a tad confusing (no offence).

so yeah not sure if wat i sed is rite though, that is just my understanding
yes this is true but an ATM is an exception because they're entering their card themselves, hence a part of the "collecting" process and so is both a participant and user. Another example is purchasing goods at supermarkets; if a customer uses EFTPOS to purchase their goods and swipes their card, they become a participant... however if they use cash to purchase the goods they're just users.

If it comes in the exam, you're better off using an example such as a library. The librarian always swipes the card and processes the information so she, or he i suppose, is a participant. However the borrower is just benefiting from the library system by borrowing books and does not undertake any of the seven processes and hence is an end user.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)