Parents' role (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
I just wonder what role do parents play in their child's HSc. I'm not talking about parents teaching the kids or caring for them during exam days. It's the duties they undertake within the school that I'm talking about. If we students are Prefects or Captains, then that is positive for getting admission into high UAI courses liek Med or Law, esp the ones that require social interaction or communication skills.
I've seen parents who are highly involved in each and every activity. They take charge of all possible duties within the school, they are everywhere and even go on to become leaders within the school committee, then does this influence the reports that is given to the students? That is, in a way, this parental help is taken as the student himself/herself helping the school community. I mean in what ways does it benefit the student's HSc. Or may be it doesn't really? It's a myth. Or maybe just improves a student's image and reputation.
Mine haven't been as involved as many others so asking.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I wish my mum stopped talking about HSC and everything. I really cannot stand her trying to disarm me of confidence.

I am also sick of her saying that I will get a crap UAI...

I think the parents should just leave you as you are unless you need help.

Extra support will be great but my mum gives that "extra support" in return of all this pressure so I just go.."no thanks".

jellybelly59

HSC
lyounamu said:
I wish my mum stopped talking about HSC and everything. I really cannot stand her trying to disarm me of confidence.

Extra support will be great but my mum gives that "extra support" in return of all this pressure so I just go.."no thanks".
namu... think positively :D she is definitely using reverse psychology LOL it's the azn method of support lol... dw u'll get a great uai.. !

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Namu get a crap UAI? Impossible. You're one of the hardest working 09er on here!

I dont mind my parents stepping back and letting me sort it all out for myself. In fact they have been telling me to study less cause they are worried about me.
The only thing is if I get say 1st in a subjects they dont really congratulate me, they sort of expect that and I that gets me annoyed.
Considering if one of my younger brother gets a B its this big deal.

Babbu

HSC
That way my mum also feels as if it is her HSc and she even picks up various folders to organize them till I say "Thanks Maa I'll tell you when I need you" . She says Hsc is once in a life time so try your best.

But in my original query I asked a different question. Maybe somebody knows the way schools work. Do they take into consideration only a student’s efforts, say in academics and in extra curricular? Or do they also somewhat count how much the families have been involved within various committees.

Freckles14

HSC
Well, my mum listens to me rant about themes and techniques and facts and figures until I fully understand them. She also cooks me excellent food and stuff so I have the energy to work hard, and encourages me and that stuff. Plus she turns up to P/T nights and reads my reports, giving me money for a good one (depends how many top-ten rankings and my percentages etc) and de-stressing me when I go off on a crazy-overwhelmed tangent. My mum, is awesome :)

My dad on the other hand... good God. If I take a break from doing homework and making notes to, say, refill my water bottle, it's "YOU SHOULD BE STUDYING!" If I'm listening to music to identify instruments to help with Musicology, I'm apparently not studying either. He'll also watch DVDs at a ridiculously loud volume when I'm trying to sleep (coincentally the night before I have a period zero or exam), thus depriving me of sleep and making me unable to work to the best of my ability. My reports, which are usually pretty good with a few first places, are never good enough which is kinda shattering. He'll also rip my confidence to shreds by constantly telling me just how stupid I supposedly am. Nice.

I think parents should leave us alone with studying etc unless we actually ask for help. In terms of involvement like prefects or whatever, mine let me go for it and just say "If you think you can handle it"/"If you're up for it". For example I was picked as school rep and school council member, and am going for prefect as well, and they were just like "If you want to" etc. That's what parents should do I reckon, give advice when we ask for it :)

Wow that was quite the rant. Sorry 'bout that.

Babbu

HSC
Backcountrysnow...pls take this cheapo pic off your id...it is offensive to the eyes and degrading as it is a disrespect for the elderly. Anyways, not suitable for bos at least.

thanks

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Babbu said:
Backcountrysnow...pls take this cheapo pic off your id...it is offensive to the eyes and degrading as it is a disrespect for the elderly. Anyways, not suitable for bos at least.

thanks
You are the one showing 'disrespect' for the elderly by saying it is 'offensive to the eyes'. imo, and a lot of others, it is a beautiful image of love and ecstasy.

michael1990

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
You are the one showing 'disrespect' for the elderly by saying it is 'offensive to the eyes'. imo, and a lot of others, it is a beautiful image of love and ecstasy.
lmao

dolbinau

HSC
lyounamu said:

Out of curiosity, what is your mum's idea of a "crap UAI"?

Freckles14

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
ITT: asians.
I'm actually not; my parents apparently should be though based on their strictness and educational expectations (actual comments made by my Asian friends).

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
parents are there to support you and to talk to if you need to i guess...they drive me to school/sports when i need to so thats good, and money too.

Babbu

HSC
No One Has Answered My Initial Question Yet!!!!!!!!!!!

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
my parents are taking a relaxed approach which is strange cos they were so tightass last year. this year they basically dont talk to me about it at all

and they bring me food when i want it =]
perfect system

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
more in reference to your questions, i think their role should be of support, never trying to commandeer your education. they should let you dictate what you what them to do in the way that you see them being most beneficial, parents who assume ways and think 'ill do this it will help' are usually the ones that hinder the most

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)