Parents Choosing Subjects (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Gough Whitlam said:
Buttom line: It's your HSC, you will sit for the exam, your future, NOT your parents.
Nonetheless, a lot of parents are still going to attempt to persuade you to make decisions to their liking. If you acquiesce then they'll make your decisions for you. If you don't act on their advice, then you'll be considered a rebel - it's a lose-lose situation.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Parents have no right choosing your subjects, u should change it if u want, it is ur life, dont do what ur parents want u to do with it

ti_amo_anthony

HSC
it happened to me, though mum wasnt quite as persistant in yr 11/12 as she was for my junior electives... i HAD to do japanese, and because drama is my life i was allowed to do that, though this time she was pushing all the hard subjects ie. chem adv eng, maths, etc!!

and now they dnt want me to move away for uni, i have to stay on the Gold Coast and transferr to and from brisbane!!!!!

hmmmmm thats still a year away im workin on the syd/melb unis!!!!

DNT LET UR PARENTS TELL U WAT SUBJECTS 2 DO you will most likely end up regretting it!!!!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ergh i just decided to drop a subject and apparently i need a parental letter. i was like wtf i'm nearly 18 it's my decision what subjects i do for my hsc. it's not a big deal because mum will write it and all, i just think it's kind of ridiculous by yr 12.

addendum: 9 periods of maths? yuckk. then again last yr i had one week with 8 english periods and one with 10.

Last edited:
Y

ydnas

you should really speak to you parents about your subjects. like other people have said, they arent the ones doing all the work and sitting exams

tell them that you want to do subjects that interest you and will be useful for you, not your parents or their dreams and aspirations they have for you

best of luck champ :)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
glycerine said:
ergh i just decided to drop a subject and apparently i need a parental letter. i was like wtf i'm nearly 18 it's my decision what subjects i do for my hsc. it's not a big deal because mum will write it and all, i just think it's kind of ridiculous by yr 12.

addendum: 9 periods of maths? yuckk. then again last yr i had one week with 8 english periods and one with 10.
On that note, I'm considering dropping Ext 1 English - I loathe Ext 1 English as much you loathe maths - in all honesty, I'd rather have 6 periods of MX2 in one day than just one period of Ext 1 Eng...

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Kao said:
Big difference between the standard of SC maths and Ext1 maths ;)

I agree with the people who say you shouldn't be doing 3u if you don't like it. I'm only doing advanced 2u but even that requires a decent amount of consistent work to do well. A ton of really smart people moved into my class from the extension class throughout last year because they couldn't deal with the excesses of work that they got in 3u.
Agreed.... look not to put any of the lil yr 10 people down but if u plan on doing the HSC, the SC is worth about as much as the toilet paper you wipe your young bumz with :\... I wouldnt base my subject choice on the SC.

7minute

HSC
Do you?

If, for example, you go on exchange at the end of Year 10 and don't sit the tests, you don't get a Record of Achievement Part B. (You get one for Part A, coz you've done all the assessments.) I'm not sure whether you can actually get a School Certificate if you didn't sit any of the tests. And I don't think you need a SC to do the HSC, because otherwise where would that leave all the overseas students who come over to NSW to do Year 11 and 12?

tennille

HSC
It is really unfair how some parents try to take control of their child's future. I have a friend who didn't go that well in his HSC. His parents were extremely disappointed because he went bad (they wanted him to do medicine). Yet, he still managed to get into B Science. Even today his parents are still disappointed with him and have basically grounded him (what is grounding going to do?). It's really sad when this happens.

A student has a right to choose their own subjects.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
exactly! if parents make their child choose something that the child is obviously not going to enjoy - therefore not do well in, then everyone will end up disappointed.
you do best what you're genuinely interested in. but i think most parents don't force their kids to do medicine/law etc anymore.. :)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
if you dont stop yuor parents choosing now, later your husband will control you, then yuor children wont listen to yuo and yuo will die a horrible lonely death

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
natstar said:
IMO, if you let ur parents choose ur subjects, you are stupid.
I don't think it's a matter of stupidity.

Some guys feel an obligation to do as their parents say, because:
a) their parents have brought them up and have made decisions for them their entire lives up until this point
b) their parents are paying for their education, hence rejecting their parents suggestions creates a feeling of guilt.

On the contrary, parents must give their children independence, and this should really start at the beginning of high school when kids are generally more capable of making their own decisions.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
exactly! if parents make their child choose something that the child is obviously not going to enjoy - therefore not do well in, then everyone will end up disappointed.
you do best what you're genuinely interested in. but i think most parents don't force their kids to do medicine/law etc anymore.. :)
I would partially disagree with your final statement. Whilst parents may not directly force their children into Law/Med etc as they used to, a lot of students feel the obligation to carry out their parents' wishes (as I said above). Sometimes students feel as if they are failing their parents by not fulfilling the "dream" their parents had for them. There are still many students who choose Law/Med merely for the status as opposed to enjoying the course/career.

tennille

HSC
I am so glad my parents never pressured me get over 90 for my UAI or whatever. They expected me to study (and try my best), but they also said to me "We wouldn't be disappointed if you got 10 as your UAI because we know you've studied really hard and tried your best". It would be great if everyone's parents were like that. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)