Paradigms in Pride&Prej, North&South, Dolls House (1 Viewer)

applepie_10

HSC
ok..so i understand that the paradigms come under different catagories.. scientific, religious, philosophical, economic..etc.. but how are the paradigms reflected in: pride and prej, north n south, and dolls house, could someone please give me some examples for each..
and to what extent are dominant ideologies (like what....?) confirmed or challenged..

any help would be appreciated...thanks heaps

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
applepie_10 said:
ok..so i understand that the paradigms come under different catagories.. scientific, religious, philosophical, economic..etc.. but how are the paradigms reflected in: pride and prej, north n south, and dolls house, could someone please give me some examples for each..
and to what extent are dominant ideologies (like what....?) confirmed or challenged..

any help would be appreciated...thanks heaps
OK paradigms is just a fancy word for ideas. I do Browning and Portrait so I'll only be good for indepth analysis of A Doll's House (which we haven't done yet so, scrap the good and put in a....moderately OK sort of making sense)

For P and P which I have read I'm going to touch on the idea of women. It reflects, through the younger Bennett sisters and mother, the stereotype of women as wives - belonging to the domestic sphere, and also as being illogical, emotional (as opposed to masculine rationality). However Elizabeth challenges the stereotype of women in a number of ways - passiveness by taking a walk to see her sister, self sacrificing when she rejects Darcy and the other bloke (because she should have been thinking of her family) .

Doll's House also examines these issues - Nora challenges the convention of her time by walking out on Torvald. For science I'd look at the Doctor - how Nora attributes his syphillis to his father's dalliances. Are you starting to get the picture.

North and South would be good for economic paradigms - contrast between wealthy cities of reform, commerce, and poor countryside of conservatism. I don't like your choice of texts much because imo Browning is the best for the module.

Lunatic

HSC
We did P&P, A Doll's House and Browning so I can't help with North and South. But here goes. Just looked up 'paradigm' in a dictionary to make sure, and the relevant meaning it gave was "a pattern or model" so I'm going with that.

In Pride and Prejudice: Religious paradigm would be Mr Collins, he's the only member of clergy that is really presented in the series (cherryblossom, while the book is a help, the text on the syllabus is Simon Langton's miniseries, not Jane Austen's novel... very important for the people who do it, not to get mixed up, lol). And Mr Collins is basically a sycophant obsessed with material possessions. Pretty funny to watch, right up to the point when you're strapping yourself to the chair so you don't take the red-hot pokers to the TV screen in the absence of Collins' *real* eyes... :)

Social paradigm, well, considering the different areas of society, I'd say Lady Catherine would be one, Mr and Mrs Bennet another. Darcy could be as well, but he and Lady Cathering are essentially in the same level of society.

Economic, I think, is just social, and there's no real scientific paradigm or philosophical, that I noticed anyway.

For A Doll's House, scientific paradigm would be Rank, if anyone, for reasons cherryblossom already said. No religious paradigms, no real economic paradigms, and pretty much *everyone* is a social paradigm, lol.... with the exception of Rank, the maid and the children. Philosophical may be Nora, since she deviates from the social norm and puts herself above her 'duties' to her family, which is a philosophy in a way...

Anyway, interesting question, I didn't really think about paradigms until now.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Lunatic said:
We did P&P, A Doll's House and Browning so I can't help with North and South. But here goes. Just looked up 'paradigm' in a dictionary to make sure, and the relevant meaning it gave was "a pattern or model" so I'm going with that.

In Pride and Prejudice: Religious paradigm would be Mr Collins, he's the only member of clergy that is really presented in the series (cherryblossom, while the book is a help, the text on the syllabus is Simon Langton's miniseries, not Jane Austen's novel... very important for the people who do it, not to get mixed up, lol). And Mr Collins is basically a sycophant obsessed with material possessions. Pretty funny to watch, right up to the point when you're strapping yourself to the chair so you don't take the red-hot pokers to the TV screen in the absence of Collins' *real* eyes... :)

Social paradigm, well, considering the different areas of society, I'd say Lady Catherine would be one, Mr and Mrs Bennet another. Darcy could be as well, but he and Lady Cathering are essentially in the same level of society.

Economic, I think, is just social, and there's no real scientific paradigm or philosophical, that I noticed anyway.

For A Doll's House, scientific paradigm would be Rank, if anyone, for reasons cherryblossom already said. No religious paradigms, no real economic paradigms, and pretty much *everyone* is a social paradigm, lol.... with the exception of Rank, the maid and the children. Philosophical may be Nora, since she deviates from the social norm and puts herself above her 'duties' to her family, which is a philosophy in a way...

Anyway, interesting question, I didn't really think about paradigms until now.
Yes Lunatic, I know it's Langton, but I haven't seen it, just read the book.
I disagree with what you said about A Dolls House not having economic paradigms - what about how males were the ones with financial power and women were seen as spendthrifts...also with kristine and how she refuses to give up her job for whatsimajiggy what's his name...and Nora. when she talks of doing the casual work to pay off her debts she says it was so liberating, she felt 'almost like a man'. look up the play for the exact quote. philosophy - look up Ibsen's own way of thinking, you'll see how his values are reflected in the text. Try to read Ghosts adn the Pillars of Society which came before and after A Dolls House to get an idea of his philosophies. he was very much a feminist and I'm not using this text so I can't remember what else.

jjjbrowny

Why Paradigms? is it in syllabus?

Hey, I'm doing P&P the Dolls House and Browning but haven't had a lesson since like week 8 T2. Slack teacher. He hasn't even shown us the syllabus.
Is paradigms in it?

pig_93

HSC
yeah paras are in the syl
its a bit of a 'basis' kinda thing cos like, u basically base ur answer around these anyway. like, ill be talking about social class for all my texts and that covers like all the paradigms anyway. sometimes though, they could ask us in a question about paradigms (that would scare me).

but yeah basically u'll be mentioning them anyhow. write it like once or twice so the markers get the pictures. ie 'defying the phil paradigms of the time' etc etc. well at least i think thats what u should do.

i do a dolls house and portrait of a lady and i find it hard to mention some paras like scientific.
but yeah, ull be right. p&p is riddled with them

immo

HSC
hmm

just so you guys realise... paradigms is a big thing in extension english not just a basis.. in fact one whole point of the rubrik is dedicated to "paradigms" or ways of thinking if you like. ie "demonstrate understanding of how particular ways of thinking have shaped and are reflected in texts" basically it's important to remember that every text is a product of its own context and will be effected by the major things that go on in that period. newho good luck on monday :)

evviebaby

HSC
i really need an imaginative idea:(

hey i do individual in society and im just totally blank when it comes to creative.
Has anyone got ideas cos i have no idea:( my email is evviebaby@hotmail.com im desperate my teacher said i had to get a band 4:(:(:(
please help me someone
my texts are: a dolls house, PnP, north n south, vanity fair and a short sotry by henry james called daisy miller

Emly

E.T
HSC
we are doing a dolls house, PnP and north and south.

is north and south very hard/long to read?
usually im a fast reader, but the other part of my class (2 people in the class) said it was hard to get into...

snowblack

bleh
HSC
Emly , N & S is pretty long, heaps of people in my class didn't even bother to read it for hsc, they just watched the series, which I do NOT recommend you do. you' ll understand the concepts a lot better, especially if you look out for the paradigms and the ways of thinking.
I did the same texts as you and you can see there's a clear, linear progression in the way of thinking throughout the booksi.e. a change in values regarding the sense of self, where originally the individual couldn't break out of his social class or do what he wanted, this is where the "paradigm" part comes in, for eg, changing economic paradigms where due to events such as the industrial revolution, the individual isn't tied to the land and can "rise" above their social position thanks to capitalism etc.
PM if you need any more help!

Emly

E.T
HSC
snowblack said:
Emly , N & S is pretty long, heaps of people in my class didn't even bother to read it for hsc, they just watched the series, which I do NOT recommend you do. you' ll understand the concepts a lot better, especially if you look out for the paradigms and the ways of thinking.
I did the same texts as you and you can see there's a clear, linear progression in the way of thinking throughout the booksi.e. a change in values regarding the sense of self, where originally the individual couldn't break out of his social class or do what he wanted, this is where the "paradigm" part comes in, for eg, changing economic paradigms where due to events such as the industrial revolution, the individual isn't tied to the land and can "rise" above their social position thanks to capitalism etc.
PM if you need any more help!
im planning on reading it these holidays, dont actually start it until next term.
we also chose to do those three texts because they all relate to feminism in someway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)