Painting picture from internet source (1 Viewer)

bbbee

HSC
can i paint something that ive got it from the internet? the picture is also a painting too
so is this allowed? i dont seem to find it sources

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I didn't do visual arts, so I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that it had to be an original piece of work i.e. not a copy of something else.

Kat92

HSC
+1 to the above that's what I thought as well-- although didn't do Art in my Senior Years.

Also, anyway sometimes the best pieces of art are your own. I have found this from experience, as you capture more expression and emotions.

Best to probably check with your teacher though. :)

FraZzZz

HSC
Some people in my class did straight rips of other artworks, probably 5-10 students in total.

I didn't personally, however I did do a collage of technical drawings, where I drew photographs of real objects. However the fact that I made this into a collage makes this Post Modern, thus not suspect to plagiarism. I'd consider it eclecticism, the borrowing of other 'ideas', in my case the borrowing of other photographed still technological objects.

To be safe, drawing another artwork or painting etc another artwork can be okay... IF you put a twist of your own into it, that's considered post modern, as is, as mentioned above the borrowing of ideas.

Hope I helped.

But yes, it's unlikely you will be caught out plagiarizing a work, but it's best just in case, to edit it so that it's truly your own idea.

Remember, art through every agency, frame and practice, always links back to the artists ideals and intentions. Your ideals and intentions have to be unique for your major work.. try not to portray someone else's ideas, this has to be about YOU.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I didn't personally, however I did do a collage of technical drawings, where I drew photographs of real objects. However the fact that I made this into a collage makes this Post Modern, thus not suspect to plagiarism. I'd consider it eclecticism, the borrowing of other 'ideas', in my case the borrowing of other photographed still technological objects.
Yeah, you can reinterpret works to fit your own intention, but a straight rip-off is not recommended.

To quote Jim Jarmusch (who is great BTW)

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)