• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Packing!!!! (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
So for those of us that are moving for uni, have you started packing yet!?!?! It's so hard to decide what to take and what to leave!!!!

E.g. I'm still not sure if I should take my winter clothes because I dunno if I will get home over easter!!!!

I look around my room and think shit! What should I take! What will I need!!!! It's very confusing....

Plus the need to buy so much stuff... like new linen for me because I have a big bed here but will have a small bed at uni.... plus cookware/kitchen stuff.... it's crazyness!!!

So who else is moving? And can any "elders" who live out of home for uni give us any advice on what to take?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hehe not yet...im a guy, plus im homestaying...so i dont have too many things to bring..

probably the biggest item is my computer and monitor

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
I have started packing my shit to move back into college...i'm triyng to bring a lot less this year..basically:
*stationary
*textbooks
*bookcase
*clothes
*bedside table
*computer

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i'm moving out too.. like, several hundred km's away from home :(
I will miss my kitty.

but i'm gonna be living on campus, all room furnishings and meals provided, so it's a bit different.

my suggested list for a uni student moving away from home:

*a Bible, definitely.
*any books/novels you like
*LOTS of clothes & shoes, suitable for all occasions and all weather conditions. Don't forget slippers and a dressing gown :)
*umbrella
*teatowels, plates, cups, cutlery, dishwashing stuff, etc...
*basic sewing kit (if u ever need to mend ur clothes)
*basic first-aid kit (for those shaving cuts, etc)
*linen (more than one set), pillow/s, towels (bring a few) , etc...
*nice snug doona
*fan and heater (unless already provided, or unnecessary)
*desk lamp, clock, small rubbish bin...
*cd player, CDs, mobile and charger, plus any other electronic gadgets u may want to bring... (i.e. hairdryer, camera...)
*toiletries, makeup, skincare products, accessories, manicure set, etc
*any prescription medications u may require
*iron (ironing boards may be provided in laundry if ur on campus)
*folding clothes airer rack (useful for those rainy days) and PEGS!
*laundry basket, detergent and stain remover :rolleyes:
*coathangers (plenty)
*small whiteboard
*mirror? (often provided, but u never know...)
*archive/storage boxes, and a couple of those big cheap zippered pinstripe bags (u never know when they might come in handy!)
*pretty curtains for your window (if req.)
*photos, posters and decorations + blu tack
*take PC from home (or laptop), and printer
*desk organiser stuff (document trays/files etc, pen holder, any extra/spare stationery)
*small bar fridge, say 50 to 120L (usually not necessary, but nice to keep bottled water and snacks cold for easy access :))

um, that's all i can think of so far...

If in doubt... bring everything you can!
But not too much, 'coz then it's annoying when it comes time to move out...

Last edited:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
no prob ;)

lol, the sewing kit + first aid kits were my mum's suggestions :) - they never would've occurred to me...

Fans are good. I want a nice lil' bar fridge, but they're probably too expensive to bother with...

don't forget ur fave stuffed toy! I'm bringing my lil' Mac, the scottish chicken. :D

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm also moving a long way.... 7 hours to Sydney.....

And Melby, I leave in less than two weeks (15th) so I think it's not too early to be starting to think about this lol.... USyd starts later than some places I noticed. Lex... I'm staying at Gumal Ngurang, the new UTS accomodation. See http://www.uts.edu.au/new/index.html

I'm trying to cut down on bulky stuff because I won't be able to get it home otherwise. I think I will need to purchase a TV, but you can buy them so cheap now. I know it sounds silly "needing" a TV, but I am studying journalism and am expected to watch/read/listen to current affairs. Plus I don't want to miss out on shows such as Survivor All Stars lol.

How cheap do you think I would be able to buy one of those bar fridges? Just in case my flat mates are the type that steal food. I would wait until I was in Sydney (and had sussed out what my flatmates were like) to buy one, I haven't seen them anywhere out here anyway.

Are there any good factory warehouse/clearance places in Sydney? Any particular area that's good to go to? I'm going to get my essentuals before I go, but I will forget some stuff. I also need more clothes. And cheapness is goodness.

I have gotten a few top bargains. One is an entire dinner set for 4 people that I bought for $9. It has a cool design on it. My dad also got me cheap cutlery and a sharp knife from the commercial place where he buys equipment for our shop. I also bought most of my linen in the post christmas sales... I love my new doona cover!!!! It's so pretty!!!

I'm trying to decide if I should take my flute or not.... I haven't taken lessons for the past year but I can still play pretty well, I have been picking it up and trying to get back in to the habit lately, and UTS has a Music Society.... but then I don't want it to get lost/damaged or anything cos it's a very expensive one....

I also don't know if I should bring a backpack, because the only one I have that isn't stuffed is a Roxy one which is in good condition, but it looks a bit "schoolkiddish" to me.... my mum thinks I am being an idiot, but I don't like it that much anymore...... I don't even know if I will need a backpack really considering I only live 5 mins from uni.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, If i was moving out, I'd pack practically my whole room! How can you kids leave with so little ;)

As for the TV Ash - I don't blame ya ;) Journalism or not, you need that tellie in your room :D

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ehhe ashlee ur moving from albury to sydney, but me....sydney to melbourne...so i tihnk i have it much worse of than you :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh the new place Ash? I'm thinking of going there next year, but that name really gets to me.

And...are you kidding? "Are there any good factory outlets?" C'mon, if you've got one in Albury, we've got them all up here. :p

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
theres a place called "seconds world" I cant remember where it is, but we got out fridge there, it had a teeny dent in the side (like, 20c piece sized) and nothing else wrong with it, and we saved about $150 off what we had seen it for elsewhere (its one of those huge stainless steel fridges) So you could prob get cheap electricals there, and "good guys" is good too if u have the cash to pay upfront. I dont know about second hand places, but there are also places you can rent stuff out, like tv's and fridges and stuff - last uear there was an add for it on the student diary at usyd - saves you the problem of transporting stuff too and from home.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah this years diary has ads for appliance rental places. Don't ask which uni, because I'm referring to all of them. :p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
But the one on the back of the UTS diary said "as low as $1 a day".... if the item around or less than say $200-250 then there is no point in renting it based on the idea that I will be living in Sydney for approx 200-250 days a year. Hence if I rent it will be more expensive than to buy....

Thanks for the names of the cheap electrical centres.

Jezzmo- how it had been working at my house is that even single cent I earn from working goes in to my bank account. I don't have to pay for anything while living at home. Now I have a substantial amount saved up to pay to live in Sydney, however I will also need to get a job up there to supplement my savings.

And Melby, I'll probably pack just before I leave lol I'm still just thinking about it all.

My mum dad and little sister are coming up to Sydney for a week because they want a bit of a holiday anyway, so we are driving all my stuff up. Our family has one of those tarago cars so we can fold down the back seats to fit it all in.

And for those moving Melb-Syd, Syd-Melb I feel for ya!!!! It's a looooong way... Alb-Syd is long enough for me.

And Lex I know what you mean about the name.... the guy from the housing department can't even pronounce it lol.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Random things for me lol. Like a suitcase, those stripey bags from the reject shop, whatever I can find around the house lol.

thisser

I can't find out where to buy a replacement globe for lava lamps, otherwise i'd take mine. (local stores here don't sell the right size) :(

Ribbon

I am taking a double bed and a desk (bookself and bir in my share accomodation already) and my rabbit :) Also I am taking my computer which had a video capture card in it ie: you can watch TV on your computer and I have a dvd drive for movies...

I am packing all my stuff into a trailer to take it down... I was origionally just going to get my own place, in which case I was going to hire a 2 tonne moving van, but that is going to wait until my b/f can get a job in Canberra.

How much is everyone paying for thier accomodation? My share room is $125 p/w 20mins from the uni, exlectricity, bills ect. are extra.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Mine's $160 pw, gas and electricity included, 5 mins from uni, brand new and basically in Sydney city!

I'm not really taking any decorative stuff, I've got enough other stuff. I might take a couple of photos I have in frames but that will be about it.

Lava lamps are cool... for my yr 10 major science experiment I made my own.... I actually got one to work!

Another question, this may sound really stupid... I was thinking about buying my own George Foreman grill to take because I use it to cook a lot.... but do you think that is a bit excessive? Plus I would have to put it in the shared kitchen so other people would be using it probably too.... I dunno, maybe I will wait and see when I get there.

Last edited:

Ashleet

HSC
thats good - im paying $217 per week for fully catered on campus, which i didnt even want

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm glad I'm not in catered, I probably wouldn't eat there most of the time anyway.

Ashleet

HSC
yeah i hate the idea of ppl cooking and cleaning for me - but it was a year waiting list on other accomodation. ill prob move off campus after 1st semester

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)