oxidation reduction dot point (1 Viewer)

melllyy

HSC
im doing my revision for my trials, and i came across the dot point, EXPLAIN THE DISPLACEMENT OF METALS FROM SOLUTION IN TERMS OF TRANSFER OF ELECTRONS. can anyone explain this to me in simple words because im getting real confused.:worried:

P

pLuvia

Explain what a displacement reaction is, and the redox reactions since those reactions are the transfer of electrons

tennille

HSC
A more active metal will displace a less active metal ion via a redox reaction. Active metals tend to lose one or more electrons (oxidation) to beocme a cation, which are then transferred to the less active metal (reduction), causing them to become atoms.

eg.

Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu (reduction due to gain of electrons- the ion becomes an atom)

Fe --> Fe2+ + 2e- (oxidation due to loss of electrons thus creating a cation)

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
some notes for the road :) be sure to READ through the below dot points because although they may be a bit overwhelming at first, its really quite a simple concept to grasp. this is pretty much the fundamental principle upon which all the the Oxidation-Reduction section 4 of Module 1 of the syllabus relies upon. We can't have you confused now, can we?? hhaha ;) Good luck!

• A displacement reaction is a replacement in which a metal converts the ion of another metal to the neutral atom
• The more REACTIVE metal will displace the other metal from a solution of its ions
• The more reactive metal goes/stays in solution
• The less reactive metal comes out of solution, stays as metal.
• There is a transfer of electrons.

For example, if an iron nail is placed in a solution of blue copper (II) salt, some of the iron nails dissolves.

At the same time, the blue colour of Cu2+ ions disappears and a dark copper coating appears on the nail surface.

• The electrons lost by iron atoms undergoing oxidation are used to reduce copper (II) ions to copper atoms. Oxidation–reduction reactions (also called redox reactions) involve transfer of electrons.

Oxidant (Oxidising Agent) - a substance which causes another substance to become oxidised. The oxidising agent becomes reduced.

Reductant (Reducing Agent) – a substance which causes another substance to become reduced. The reduced agent becomes oxidised.

Oxidation Is Loss of electrons. Reduction Is Gain of electrons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)