oweeeeek (1 Viewer)

mathslover

HSC
hiii,
im attending only a few days for oweek.
im going for the law lecture on thursday, now on the timetable it says it is 9am-2pm, so do i have to actually be there at 9 or can i come anytime between 9 aand 2? coz it takes me ~2hours 2 get to unsw.

also.... what will actually happen for this intro thing? is it just info and stuff or will we get a tour or something? i dont want to miss out on it if its something important!

appreciated . :eek:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
turning up late is like showing up late for a meeting. People will be seated and the vice-chancellor or some top hat will be making speeches. In my engineering welcome, we got an hour or yakkity yak from the head of faculty/chancellor etc etc and then we were split into out individual schools and taken from there to our buildings.

Its nothing gravely important imo. You might receive a little advice (which was a reminder to do Engg1000) but I found mine no big deal in the end.

simon2004

Having your Faculty welcome on Thursday gives you the great advantage that by Thursday you can already have been to Uni for O-Week 2-4 days beforehand.

It's up to you when you would like to come.

However, I encourage you to come on Monday or Tuesday and check out O-Week - you might find you also want to come along on Wednesday as well!

Make an effort to be on time to the welcome on Thursday - there's lots of info to help you, but don't stress too much about being a little late, just walk in and quietly find a seat if you are late.

There will definitely be campus tours after the welcome - run by senior student volunteers, the Yellow Shirts. Do join a tour, you will have heaps of fun.

There is a massive timetable of things happening in oweek, see

UNSW O-Week 2009: Turn It Up

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
hiii,
im attending only a few days for oweek.
im going for the law lecture on thursday, now on the timetable it says it is 9am-2pm, so do i have to actually be there at 9 or can i come anytime between 9 aand 2? coz it takes me ~2hours 2 get to unsw.

also.... what will actually happen for this intro thing? is it just info and stuff or will we get a tour or something? i dont want to miss out on it if its something important!

appreciated . :eek:
If you're a transfer student or graduate student, you'll need to attend the lecture from 9-11am. If you don't fall under either category you can come at 11am and go to the faculty welcome from 11am-2pm.

mathslover

HSC
Having your Faculty welcome on Thursday gives you the great advantage that by Thursday you can already have been to Uni for O-Week 2-4 days beforehand.

It's up to you when you would like to come.

However, I encourage you to come on Monday or Tuesday and check out O-Week - you might find you also want to come along on Wednesday as well!

Make an effort to be on time to the welcome on Thursday - there's lots of info to help you, but don't stress too much about being a little late, just walk in and quietly find a seat if you are late.

There will definitely be campus tours after the welcome - run by senior student volunteers, the Yellow Shirts. Do join a tour, you will have heaps of fun.

There is a massive timetable of things happening in oweek, see

UNSW O-Week 2009: Turn It Up
Thanks. Yehh im goin on tues too, for the Business Welcome :) Do u recommend i go on Mon too?

mathslover

HSC
If you're a transfer student or graduate student, you'll need to attend the lecture from 9-11am. If you don't fall under either category you can come at 11am and go to the faculty welcome from 11am-2pm.
Thanks. im undergrad. so is it just an info lecture 9-11?
does the more relevant stuff start at 11?

simon2004

Totally come along on Monday of O-Week as well! You'll enjoy it!

If this is your first time to University then on Thursday your Law Welcome starts at:
11:15am – 12:45pm, Formal Student Welcome, Law Theatre G04
(http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/current_students/enrolment/docs/2009/O-WeekProgram.pdf)

The 9am workshop is ONLY for:
-Graduate Law students,
-transfer students (with no previous law) and
-Combined Law students undertaking Social Work/Law, Science (Psychology)/Law, Jurisprudence/Law, Social Science/Law, Social Science (Criminology)/Law.
Students in other combined law programs do not need to attend this workshop.

For most people the Welcome starts just after 11am.

After the Welcome there will be lunchtime and campus tours.

Hope that helps!

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Thanks. im undergrad. so is it just an info lecture 9-11?
does the more relevant stuff start at 11?

Strewth has pretty much given you the information in his/her post above. Basically you could come from 9-11am for more information but it's up to you (if you're really enthusiastic about it all :p). Otherwise take your time and arrive at 11am.

mathslover

HSC
Totally come along on Monday of O-Week as well! You'll enjoy it!

If this is your first time to University then on Thursday your Law Welcome starts at:
11:15am – 12:45pm, Formal Student Welcome, Law Theatre G04
(http://www.law.unsw.edu.au/current_students/enrolment/docs/2009/O-WeekProgram.pdf)

The 9am workshop is ONLY for:
-Graduate Law students,
-transfer students (with no previous law) and
-Combined Law students undertaking Social Work/Law, Science (Psychology)/Law, Jurisprudence/Law, Social Science/Law, Social Science (Criminology)/Law.
Students in other combined law programs do not need to attend this workshop.

For most people the Welcome starts just after 11am.

After the Welcome there will be lunchtime and campus tours.

Hope that helps!
thx for the link.. do u know where i can find the Business Welcome program ?

morec18

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, should i go to Oweek if i'm only going to go by myself? I'm the only person in my school going to UNSW. I live two hours away from uni and i really dont want to do all that travelling just to be a loner for the entire day. Are there going to be alot of people in the same situation as me? Its going to be very awkward attempting to make friends if everyone's with their own group of friends already.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
yes. There will be a lot of 'singles' when uni begins, look around, smile and say hi

simon2004

Exactly, that's exactly why O-Week is there to help!

Lots of people won't know other people at O-Week, all the more reason to go along and get involved in stuff. And there's heaps of stuff to get involved in - see UNSW O-Week 2009: What's On.

Also come along tomorrow and a few other days in the week as well. The more days you turn up to O-week the more people you will start to get to know.

And if you are especially keen to get involved - there's also Oweek eXtreme.
UNSW O-Week 2009: O-Week Extreme!

mathslover

HSC
Hi guys, should i go to Oweek if i'm only going to go by myself? I'm the only person in my school going to UNSW. I live two hours away from uni and i really dont want to do all that travelling just to be a loner for the entire day. Are there going to be alot of people in the same situation as me? Its going to be very awkward attempting to make friends if everyone's with their own group of friends already.
im pretty much in the same position as you: I live abt 1.5 hrs away and none of my frnds are goin to unsw. but ill still go to unsw for my two welcomes (tues and thurs).. and im bringing a friend or 2 along, coz pretty much anyone can go to anyones oweek(?) so ill have company and wont get bored lol. huuuge sacrifice on their part tho, for having to listen 2 Biz and Law lectures when they wontbe studying it :p haha.

oliverbedon89

HSC
N/A
yeah, you should. im also going there by myself (all of my friends have uni / tafe :( ). hopefully, i wont be a loner too...

LordPc

HSC
What happens during the Engineering welcome? its from 9:45 - 2pm on thursday.

Is it that important cause I would rather like to participate, or atleast watch the pie fight which occurs at 12 pm, right during the welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)