overheating problem... (1 Viewer)

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
hey guys,

i was driving home 2nite and i was looking at my temperature gauge. when i was stationary the temperature was almost going red, but when i started driving it went back to normal. im not the best with cars but could this be a radiator problem or blown heads or something?? i had overheating problems about 2 months ago because of a split in the top hose, i had that replaced and its been running fine. ive also noticed a chugging sort of sound from the engine bay while im accelerating, ive been told it may be the timing belt but im not sure?? any ideas??

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
check the fuse for ur fan...
i blew a fuse for the fan in my ute, an it overheated as soon as i came to a set of lights.

but as soon as i started driving the fan an air flow started badck up again.

so check that

Jiga

The fact that it only occurs when idling in a stationary position etc means it has to almost certainly be the fan, start your car and have a look at it, at idle it should be on blowing air onto the radiator... if its not, work from their as to the causes of why its not working, from fuses as someone else mentioned to maybe the fan has just died etc

As for the chugging sound, I hav no idea what that is, but if you are overdue for your timing belt service DONT take risks, not sure about your car but some have interference engines so if your timing belt goes expect expensive repairs as it will bend your valves and cause other internal damage. If you do intend to take this path, it might be wise to also get your water pump replaced while they are down their, just in case this is somehow the cause of your overheating probs and it doesnt hurt to do it if your car has decent mileage (although unlikley as a faulty water pump would mean the car is always overheated and may have signs like leaking coolant etc)

And lastly, I would not drive whilst it is overheating, especially nearly taking it into the red, this is very dangerous, the chances of warping your heads or getting a blown head gasket ($1000+ to repair) are very high, even if its not in the red continued overheating will cause you lots of problems which will be ALOT more expensive then having to do something minor like replace your radiator fan!

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
As the others said - fans are a possibility.
Also very possible is that your thermostat was stuck on the closed position (small cycle). This severely restricts the available antifreeze flow - and causes overheating. The fix is to get a new one.

Could you elaborate on the 'chugging'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)