Ottawa Charter/Jakarta Declaration (1 Viewer)

Niksta123

HSC
Can someone please tell me exactly how each of the 5 areas of the ottawa charter interrelate to those of the jakarta declaration??

And the links & comparisons between them?/

Thanks

sezzygirl89

HSC
Niksta123 said:
Can someone please tell me exactly how each of the 5 areas of the ottawa charter interrelate to those of the jakarta declaration??

And the links & comparisons between them?/

Thanks
The two link together as they are both international responses that the government has adapted.
The Jakarta declaration was developed in 1997 and was implemented to further stregthen the Ottawa Charter.
If you look closey at the areas of the jakarta dec. you will see the links btw the two, eg
  • Promoting social responsibility for health - J.D - public and private sectors should promote health by pursuing polices and practices, this is relflected in O.C in the areas of strenghtening community action and building healthy public policy through legisaltion and policy, also developing personal skills to aid in the implentation of such policies and legislation so that individuals can apply the knowledge into their lives. eg health education is compulsory in schools
  • Increase investments for health development - J.D - investments must be adequate, eggective and multi sectoral. Reorientating existing investments to meet the needs of certain groups. O.C Reorientating health services - so that health becomes the responsibility of many and that it takes on a more preventative role.
  • Consolidate and expand partnerships for health - J.D - Partnerships in levels of government and society should be expanded and strenghtened. The focus is on a multi sectoral aproach to give people the best health care with resource effiency. O.C - Strengthening community action by getting communities activily involved in decisions that will effect their health eg a community is more likely to enforce a policy that they have had an active say in as opposed to one that has been imposed upon them. Building healthy public policy in that area of deciding where money should be spent, eg through stats and data collected.
  • Increase community capacity and empower the individual - J.D - increasing community involvement and education. Promote education leadership, training and access to resources. Relys on empowering individuals to take control. O.C - srengthening community action, through establishing self help and education groups, eg A.A, and through bringing members of the community to participate in health related matters. Creating supportive environments is reflective of J.D as it incorperates the prinicple of taking care of each other and the environment thus empowering the incividual with information on how they can help, eg implemtation of shade stuctures, recyling programs and worksafety programs. Building healthy public policy is also incorperated as it provides and environment in which healthier choices are easier due to awareness, education and legislative decisions, eg compulsory fencing around pools, smoke free pubs and clubs.
  • Securing an infrastructure for health promotion - J.D- incentives developed to maxamise funding for health promotion. All countries should develop the appropriate legal, educational, social and ecomonical environments to support health promotion. O.C relates to this through all areas of the O.C - strengthening community action as it promotes social responsibility and participation and community funding, eg driver reviver stations. Reorientating health services in that health promotion is maxamised by having the focus of health care shift from curative to preventative measures, eg creating awareness about infectious disease eg polio, eduaction, immunisation and social awareness about the disease. Creating supportive environments promotes social responsibility for each other and the environment to maintiain good health, this includes the social and economical environment, eg recycling programs. Building healthy public policy is encorperative of the legal aspect of health promotion, eg creation of legislation that will enhace the health of people and make healthier choices easier, eg compulsory to wear seatbelts. Developing personal skills maxamises health infrastructure through supporting personal and social development and providing education and awareness, eg parental courses and compulsory health education in schools.
Hope this helps!

noobsgetowned

HSC
You dont really need to kow the J.D in 'detail'?

Its only the Ottawa Charter which you must know inside out.

Correct me if im wrong..

mitchmacca22

HSC
you have to know both the ottawa charter and the jakarta declaration, they usually only test one each year and im fair sure they always test ottawa charter, but if it comes up you need to no it. sometimes they will ask a multiple choice q on jakarta declaration but most long responses are on ottawa charter.
a few years ago my teacher made a question up for the hsc and they said they would use it one day. it was: how does the jakarta declaration build on the ottawa charter?
its all about the new public health approach, just keep relating it all to that

Richos

HSC
it's prob a useless acronym for some people, but it works for me but anyways:

5 areas of the Ottawa charter are:

1 - develping personal skills (DPS)...becomes GPS (like GPS sattelite navigation)

2 - creating supportive environments (CSE).....becomes CSI (like the TV crime show on channel 9)

3 - strengthening community action (SCA)......becomes SCA (Super Cheap Auto - the company thats sponsoring this years Bathurst 1000 race)

4 - re-orienting health services (RHS).....becomes OHS (like operational health and safety)

5 - building public health policy (BpHP)....becomes BHP (like the big industrial company that manufactures steel and industrial products.

the way i remember all 5 in order is using this lil acronym story i made for myself in 2007...

i was using my GPS to get me home in time to watch the SCA Bathurst 1000 and also CSI Miami, but i realised i had forgotten to send the OHS report to my boss back at BHP.

wilzay

HSC
Davids
Cock
Smells
Really
Bad

thats how i remember it

dynan

HSC
DR CBS

Developing personal skills
Re-orientating health service

Creating supporting environments
Building Healthy Public Policy
Strengthening Community Action

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)