OTEN and the HSC (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm studying the HSC through OTEN (I'm doing the HSC year in 2006 and did the Preliminary year in 2004).

I'm interested in talking with people who are (or have) studying the HSC through OTEN.

Pink_Butterfly

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you don't mind, could you tell us a little more about your story?

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I didn't do the whole HSC through OTEN, but I did do two courses by distance ed. If you've got any questions I'd be happy to help, if I can.

HSC
Riviet said:
If you don't mind, could you tell us a little more about your story?
I quit school after finishing year 10 (because I was a naughty girl, so it was either quit or get kicked out). I then went to TAFE to do the HSC but never turned up to class so even know I passed, I wasn't trying. I went on to do Business Administration and Communication Skills. Then I decided I wanted to do the HSC again... but after the preliminary through OTEN, I decided I needed a break from studying, so I took a year off. I got a low paying full time office administration job and realised that I couldn't work in that type of industry for life - I quit and went back to being a fresh food person so I could study full time.
As for studying with OTEN, I really enjoy it. I just find the lack of social interaction a bit boring. I would go to TAFE, but with the hours I work it would be impossible to study full time and I live on my own, so I have to pay my way.
My subjects include: Business Studies, Economics, English (Advanced), Food Technology and PDHPE.

What else would you like to know?

HSC
starbaaa - I don't have questions about studying distance learning. I've done it before, I just wanted to chat with someone doing the HSC through distance learning to interact. (I have a very social personality.)

adgala

HSC
I think OTEN means they send you the materials and you learn it all yourself hence i think she's learning it at home.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
adgala said:
I think OTEN means they send you the materials and you learn it all yourself hence i think she's learning it at home.
Yeah, that's exactly what i was predicting, just wasn't 100% sure about it, she could be going to an educational centre but wait till Pink Butterfly replies again.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Yeah, that's exactly what i was predicting, just wasn't 100% sure about it, she could be going to an educational centre but wait till Pink Butterfly replies again.
OTEN is to be precise, a correspondence TAFE - they send you stuff and you send stuff back and you do your HSC exams at the nearest TAFE at the end of the year I believe.

HSC
Exactly! OTEN sends me the content to read and I teach myself, if I have problems, I ring or email the teacher and they help me with my queries. When I have completed an assignment I send it to OTEN to mark and they send it back. I do it all at home in my own time... and I do pretty good - Better then I ever did at school or TAFE!

jesster88

HSC
Pink_Butterfly said:
starbaaa - I don't have questions about studying distance learning. I've done it before, I just wanted to chat with someone doing the HSC through distance learning to interact. (I have a very social personality.)

Hey i did geography through OTEN for the prelim in 04 and hsc 05, i only did it as i was my best subject (i topped my grade in yr 10) and cuz it didnt fit on my school timetable there were major clashes. I didnt enjoy teaching my self a whole 2unit HSC subject probobly cause geo is such a content based subject that also incoorporates many many skills. I found that i didnt get the support i needed from the OTEN staff. I had many problems with my assignments n ot being processed properly in the prelim year and i found that contacting my teacher to ask for help was very confronting and that it got me nowhere. I'm glad i did it even though it went from being my best subject to one of my worst but i probobly wasnt diligent enough.

Also in the HSC u do 3 weighted assessment tasks. Two of these in similar format to the 8 assignement that must be completed to complete the course, beware of N determination warning letters. The other is a 2 hour trial exam. The problem with this is that you never recieve your marked assessment task or exam only a general feedback sheet for the whole course. I found this to be a negative thing as i didnt get the feedback i needed as i never knew where i went wrong when i made mistakes.

I hope this info helps, good luck with the HSC next year and all the best.

HSC
I did the preliminary for Geography last year, that teacher is a bit anal. Main reason I didn't carry on with Geography. The teachers I have now are very helpful, I enjoy my study if I didn't have a life, it would be easier!!!

I haven't got any information about N determination warning letters through OTEN. Are they basically the same as the school's system?

HeroTragic

I think OTEN is sh!t. It's aim to lazy ppl. I do Accounting at OTEN, and i couldnt get a good mark that i want. I cant compare my result of assessment and examination to others who has "appropriate education"

HSC
HeroTragic said:
I think OTEN is sh!t. It's aim to lazy ppl. I do Accounting at OTEN, and i couldnt get a good mark that i want. I cant compare my result of assessment and examination to others who has "appropriate education"
If you can't compare your marks, how do you know if your just not that good at the course?

OTEN isn't for everyone, granted - maybe you should cut your loses and transfer!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Pink_Butterfly said:
What else would you like to know?
Do you still get assessments from each subject that you have to hand in on a set date just like in the normal HSC? How does it work?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Do you still get assessments from each subject that you have to hand in on a set date just like in the normal HSC? How does it work?
Of course they get assessments! It is the normal HSC except through correspondence.

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
So because u dont go to a school, is ur mark scaled down

hey 'Pink Butterfly', what is ur goal for the HSC and UAI and dont u find it hard juggling a part time job and no social life from skool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)