Oskar Schindler help (1 Viewer)

hallelujah.

HSC
So i'm doing my project on Oskar Schindler and the way he has been glorified and seen as a hero, when he really wasnt that moral a person. Basically, i'm focusing on his motives for saving the Jews and i cant find any sources that dont think he's a hero!! Just wondering if anyone had ever come across something that said Schindler was a bastard or only used Jews for slave labour or something like that.

ta
xx

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So umm, if there are no sources which say he was a bastard, how'd you come to form this opinion of him?

X

xeuyrawp

Just wondering if anyone had ever come across something that said Schindler was a bastard
I suppose this question would be viable from a neo-Nazi perspective.

hairyman69

HSC
N/A
there was a book recently released called In Search of Schindler which talked about how he was a womanizer and stuff but i don't think it labelled him a ' bastard'. You could argue that Steven Spielbergs film Schindler's List is an inaccurate portrayal but i don't thnk anyone would label him a bastard.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Well Hallelujah., do you see him as a 'bastard' or do you only want to use that as an argument?
Because one could call Oskar one for his earlier times- after all, he wasn't for the Jews at first, but for money, then he turned around and did all he could to save the Jews.
A clear example of this is in Schindlers List, as stated by PwarYuex.
Schindler didn't start off with great morals, but he ended with them.
That's my (and the majority fo the world's as you said) opinion :)

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Shoubadoo said:
Well Hallelujah., do you see him as a 'bastard' or do you only want to use that as an argument?
Because one could call Oskar one for his earlier times- after all, he wasn't for the Jews at first, but for money, then he turned around and did all he could to save the Jews.
A clear example of this is in Schindlers List, as stated by PwarYuex.
Schindler didn't start off with great morals, but he ended with them.
That's my (and the majority fo the world's as you said) opinion :)
Yeah, agreed.

It's one of those cases where someone is a 'normal' person (ie a Jew-hater) in an abnormal society, and when they come in close prolonged contact with a normal groups, they themselves become normal.

There's an argument that points out that inmates in certain death camps were killed too quickly, perhaps because commanders didn't want their soldiers getting to know the inmates...

bling05

HSC
Some people dislike Schindler because he did what he did for "financial reasons", but ultimately, he saved lives, and regardless of his motives, he's a hero.

X

xeuyrawp

Yes but he started out doing what he did for financial reasons. By the end of the Holocaust, he was definitely doing things which were financially bad for him in order to save lives.

That's the difference between someone who says 'How could German people do anything to help the Holocaust victims' and someone that does help.

fral02

HSC
yer i got a similar assessment and i cant find any information that say oskar schindler wasnt a good person.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I think I remember something about the German people or allies black listing all of his companies after the war. THere could be something to look into.

You may find that most of the places that don't talk about Oskar Schindler in such glowing terms are going to be in German because the German psyche after the war was so very apologetic for what happened. Even today, when I have been over there, they seem almost embarrssed by any war remnants that lie everywhere.

I found this site:
Oskar Schindler – Held ohne Moral?
Jetzt entdeckt: Der Judenretter war auch nur ein Mensch

http://www.berlinerliteraturkritik.de/index.cfm?id=10892

(Oscar Schindler - Hero without morals? Now discovered: The saviour of the Jews was also just a person.)

I think you can get auto translaters to help with this OR grab some of those rare German HSC students and see how they go with it ;)

X

xeuyrawp

alcalder said:
I think I remember something about the German people or allies black listing all of his companies after the war. THere could be something to look into.

You may find that most of the places that don't talk about Oskar Schindler in such glowing terms are going to be in German because the German psyche after the war was so very apologetic for what happened. Even today, when I have been over there, they seem almost embarrssed by any war remnants that lie everywhere.

I found this site:
Oskar Schindler – Held ohne Moral?
Jetzt entdeckt: Der Judenretter war auch nur ein Mensch

http://www.berlinerliteraturkritik.de/index.cfm?id=10892

(Oscar Schindler - Hero without morals? Now discovered: The saviour of the Jews was also just a person.)

I think you can get auto translaters to help with this OR grab some of those rare German HSC students and see how they go with it ;)
That article's just claiming that he's not the angel that modern views paint him as. It's pointing out things like affairs, why he did what he did, the fact that he only helped the Jews slowly, etc.

Not a particularly harsh criticism of the person, imo (apart from calling him an opportunist and a businessman). More like a harsh criticism of modern views of him. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)