Organised. (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've got an A4 exercise book for every topic/module for English and Science. I think this might be more convenient and organised rather than cramming everything into one exercise book. I'm not really one of those colour coding people. I just separate parts of my shelf and dump notes/past papers/books for every subject in each division lol.
I've bought some study guides during the holidays. I've already made a rough summary of notes (though not a very good job of one since I've yet to learn the HSC course properly) of the first HSC topic in Physics, Chemistry and a bit on English. I was hoping to complete a summary for the first topic in Biology as well and finish English AOS plus make some for Maths Extension, but I just didn't enough spare time to. Fortunately, my tutor made me do a summary of the first topics of Physics and Chemistry so yeah.....that's kind of an upside. I would say that I managed to get prepared during the holidays, but not as prepared as I'd like to be.
I've got shitloads of past papers from this site and other sites as well as from my cousin and I hope to attempt them soon. I'm currently making a timetable to organise times to do homework, study/revision, recreation etc at home. Man, I sound nerdy, anyone else like me?

xxxx8888

HSC
I shoved all my year 11 stuff into a box to make space on my bookshelf... Did it today, lol. I'm using a folder this time... I got too many handouts and stuff like that in year 11.

Maiya

HSC
Some great ideas about how to fight the paper war pplz. Also, I think it’s helpful if you also consider these factors in being an organised HSC student – not a must, but ideal :)...

Study Environment – furniture arrangement (trust me this has an impact), ergonomic table/chair/furniture, lighting (both natural/artificial), easily accessible: stationery, folders, colour post-it notes, bookshelf of text books/resources, scrap paper, etc. all the ideas mentioned in the previous posts.

Keep your study enviro tidy. They say your room is a reflection of your state of mind, or more so your life. Messy and cluttered are not ideal conditions to be studying in, but hey if you can, that’s great too :)…I need things to be in order, otherwise I’ll get agitated and distracted too easily.

Refining Study Habits – Making effort to remember; controlling amount and form; strengthening neural connections and giving time for connections to set.

Prioritising/Time Management – Write goals for day/week/month/year, set time limits. Keep track of what you do, eliminate the unnecessary. Do it right the first time, to avoid repeating.

Keeping and actually making good use of a diary.

A wall calendar - preferably a year planner but I use the monthly ones, what ever suits you.

Knowing the way you learn best…

People who might want to know what kind of learner they are>>>

STYLES OF LEARNING

Learning Style
The way in which you learn will affect the sort of memory technique that you might use. People tend to be divided into three basic categories of learners:

Visual Learners – Approximately two thirds of students are visual learners. They learn best when they can see or visualise their information. This could be in the form of notes, diagrams, symbols, pictures, and so on.

Auditory Learners – About 30% of students are auditory learners. They learn best by taking their cues from sounds. Information becomes more meaningful for them when it is spoken out loud.

Kinaesthetic Learners – Kinaesthetic learners (about 5% of students) learn best through using touch, movement and space. Learning most often occurs through imitation and practice.

Nobody is exclusively a visual, auditory or kinaesthetic leaner. However, one style of learning will tend to predominate.

Most memory techniques are written for visual learners. If you learn best through listening or using kinaesthetic style you will need to adjust memory techniques to suit.

(Adapted from Learning Style – Memory Revision. www.learnline.ntu.edu.au)

Peace…and good luck in keeping organised :)

Maiya

HSC
Some great ideas about how to fight the paper war pplz. Also, I think it’s helpful if you also consider these factors in being an organised student – not a must, but ideal :)... [Some of you may have done this year/s ago but just in case ;)]

Study Environment – furniture arrangement (trust me this has an impact), ergonomic table/chair/furniture, lighting (both natural/artificial), easily accessible: stationery, folders, colour post-it notes, bookshelf of text books/resources, scrap paper, etc. all the ideas mentioned in the previous posts.

Keep your study enviro tidy. They say your room is a reflection of your state of mind, or more so your life. Messy and cluttered are not ideal conditions to be studying in, but hey if you can, that’s great too :)…I need things to be in order, otherwise I’ll get agitated and distracted too easily.

Refining Study Habits – Making effort to remember; controlling amount and form; strengthening neural connections and giving time for connections to set.

Prioritising/Time Management – Write goals for day/week/month/year, set time limits. Keep track of what you do, eliminate the unnecessary. Do it right the first time, to avoid repeating.

Keeping and actually making good use of a diary.

A wall calendar - preferably a year planner but I use the monthly ones, what ever suits you.

Knowing the way you learn best…

People who might want to know what kind of learner they are>>>

STYLES OF LEARNING

Learning Style
The way in which you learn will affect the sort of memory technique that you might use. People tend to be divided into three basic categories of learners:

Visual Learners – Approximately two thirds of students are visual learners. They learn best when they can see or visualise their information. This could be in the form of notes, diagrams, symbols, pictures, and so on.

Auditory Learners – About 30% of students are auditory learners. They learn best by taking their cues from sounds. Information becomes more meaningful for them when it is spoken out loud.

Kinaesthetic Learners – Kinaesthetic learners (about 5% of students) learn best through using touch, movement and space. Learning most often occurs through imitation and practice.

Nobody is exclusively a visual, auditory or kinaesthetic leaner. However, one style of learning will tend to predominate.

Most memory techniques are written for visual learners. If you learn best through listening or using kinaesthetic style you will need to adjust memory techniques to suit.

(Adapted from Learning Style – Memory Revision. www.learnline.ntu.edu.au)

Peace…

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Tip to anyone about to buy a folder for each subject.

Either
A) go by car.
or
B) go on two separate days.

Otherwise you look ridiculous coming home carrying 7 folders.

By the way that was, er, purely hypothetical, and all.

klaw

HSC
drewgcn said:
Tip to anyone about to buy a folder for each subject.

Either
A) go by car.
or
B) go on two separate days.

Otherwise you look ridiculous coming home carrying 7 folders.

By the way that was, er, purely hypothetical, and all.
or
C) put it in your school bag

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I used the colour thing etc.etc.etc!
I have a different coloured folder, with same coloured dividers etc... for each subject...i have 7 ...to study (file) from..

Orange: Extension English 2..
Magenta: Extension English 1
Lime...mmm tasty colour: Studies of Religion 1
Blue: Ancient
Yellow: Adv. English
Pink: Ext Hist
Grey: Art Theory..
So basically on my floor is a myrid rainbow of folders....

Organisation wise for school.
~One 4 ring folder.
~A hole punch (i punch all my loose sheets into it)
~a few plastic slippys,
~Loose leaf paper since we write shitloads and unlike alot of schools lack notebook compys...

Add to that basic essential stuff
~plastic dividers
~an Art Process diary
~a History extension Log
~ a chunky Extension English journal

and you have my legs under a pile of moving stationery....stationary..hmmm..
Oh yeah i also carry a tin of sketching pencils, pencil case...and the ultimate blue gummi eraser :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I've (almost) sorted out how folders, sheets, files study notes are going to be stored etc. now most importantly, my study time is going to be set out.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You could probably fit 7 folders in an empty, large school bag with litres of space. :D

HSC
N/A
Your school has 7 subjects a DAY? Whoa.

My school has four periods a day, and now I'm doing Pathways so the most I ever have is two subjects a day.

In my ideal world, there would be three 3 hours lessons a day. That seems good to me.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
etc. etc. etc. said:
Your school has 7 subjects a DAY? Whoa.

My school has four periods a day, and now I'm doing Pathways so the most I ever have is two subjects a day.

In my ideal world, there would be three 3 hours lessons a day. That seems good to me.
Oh yeh. You did mention something about pathways. I hope it went alright for you. So how is it?
What subjects are you doing next year? and the year after?

HSC
N/A
Doing Visual Arts, Studies of Religion II and NAS Art Extension this year.

Advanced English, Design and Technology, Society and Culture and Photography in 2007.

It's going good so far. It's sort of strange having to adjust to all the free periods, but I'm feeling better already - less stressed, and am actually handling my work for the first time in quite some time.

Yeah, I think it was definately the right choice for me. I can get enough sleep and rest AND get my homework/assignments done.

HSC
luscious-llama said:
I used the colour thing etc.etc.etc!
I have a different coloured folder, with same coloured dividers etc... for each subject...i have 7 ...to study (file) from..

Orange: Extension English 2..
Magenta: Extension English 1
Lime...mmm tasty colour: Studies of Religion 1
Blue: Ancient
Yellow: Adv. English
Pink: Ext Hist
Grey: Art Theory..
So basically on my floor is a myrid rainbow of folders....

Organisation wise for school.
~One 4 ring folder.
~A hole punch (i punch all my loose sheets into it)
~a few plastic slippys,
~Loose leaf paper since we write shitloads and unlike alot of schools lack notebook compys...

Add to that basic essential stuff
~plastic dividers
~an Art Process diary
~a History extension Log
~ a chunky Extension English journal

and you have my legs under a pile of moving stationery....stationary..hmmm..
Oh yeah i also carry a tin of sketching pencils, pencil case...and the ultimate blue gummi eraser :)
^^ Very good idea to colour code your subjects, have one big 75mm folder for each subject, at home. Then keep another folder you take to school, thats split up into all your subjects, each week empty that folder into your other subject specific folders at home. Just some advice from an '05'er :D GL!

screem41

HSC
Heh - I USED to be organised...since about term 2 though there's been stuff just lying around everywhere. As long as its a co-ordinated mess, you should be fine

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
^^ Very good idea to colour code your subjects, have one big 75mm folder for each subject, at home. Then keep another folder you take to school, thats split up into all your subjects, each week empty that folder into your other subject specific folders at home. Just some advice from an '05'er :D GL!

thanks Casmira
:) yeah pretty much what i dooo for school
still have to take alot of notes to school cuz i study in my free periods etc

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
My suggestion:

Get a thick folder, plastic dividers > paper dividers because the holes on the side wear out. Keep a reasonable thick A4 Spirax notebook in each section, or alternatively, a stack of loose, lined A4 sheets. That would be for the notes you take during class, and exercises.

Also keep a small stack of plastic sleeves at the back because some booklets (we had stacks and stacks of them in EE1) are too thick to have holes punched through them by a mini-puncher. Use plastic colour-coded post-its to sort the plastic sleeves.

Finally, make sure you have a mini hole-puncher at the front and sort every sheet you get into their sections when you get them. Don't shove it in the plastic sleeve the folder provides because it'll build up and get really out of hand. :p Cut that plastic bit off if you have to. It's evil.

Cut what plastic bit off? do u mean the thing that puts pressure on all the paper to "suposebly" make more room. Cos if yes, that thing is pissing me off 2, i hav no more room to keep my hole puncher in the folder anymore

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)