Optometry (1 Viewer)

mm87511

HSC
gyva85 said:
yeh i was gonna do optometry but i decided the night before receiving my UAI that i was gonna choose pharmacy instead..lol
anyways, got 98.35...just scraped through if UAI was to remain same as last year....
mm87511, if u're desperate enough, u can always apply for full-fee i guess....thats if u REALLY want to do the course (2003 stats showed that Opt. graduates received $50k starting off, so full-fee paying does not seem too bad)...
If memory serves me correctly, the cut-off for EAS applicants into optometry was 98.05, and 96.45 for full-fee applicants in 2003.
well, u c, even if i want to pay.....my uai is 95.1 and under EAS, it doesnt look very good,does it?

kheir

HSC
hi throughout the year i was crus bout doing optometry , however when my uai came out and i found i had eas i was convinced by a few ppl to do law/commerce at unsw or usyd could some of you plz convince me bak inyo optom im so lost i want to do both

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
do you like science more, or english/history?

kheir

HSC
well for hsc i did 4u math phys bio n chem so hint hint wat kind of person i am, however i htoguth id do commerce/law because ill do 3 yrs of the commerce ie math n ill b able to bear with 2 yrs of eng

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It doesn't work like that...yuo don't do 3 years of comm..it's a combined degree. mix of the two. you do a bit of both each year. and comm is not all about maths. it's like economics as well.

i suggest optometry :)

kheir

HSC
k thnx anyone else plz help out coz im still bit here n there

Silver_magnolia

HSC
Hey I'm also interested in Optometry but I'm not sure how the selection process works, considering that competition is very high and there are only about 50 places and a considerable amount of people get above 98.3... One of the professors who came to our school on careers day said there weren't interviews and the website doesn't mention interview's either... so do they select those interested with the highest UAIs or what?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yes, just like most other course, they take the students with the highest UAIs.

kheir

HSC
do u ppl think i shud do optom if iwnted totransfer to mad i mena r der any courses in commno i know i shud b doin a science but i wnt somthin solid to fall bak on incase i dnt get into med willin to do an extra year

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Do Optometry if you want something to fall back on like medicine.
Do science if you want a career in research, or further studies in other area of your interest with post grad courses.
If you have interest in commerce, do comm/sci.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
thnx for that. i thoiught of optometry yesterday, might put it on my preference list, but i wanna check uit out on open day jan 5th. do u think they will show us the operating room? (coz i wanna see what kinda env opts work in)

i didnt know unsw had an operating room and u can book an eye examination session- mad! :)

kheir

HSC
juss wanted to dd i think a law is being passed in nsw where optometrist can prescribe anti biotics
ive heard this has already been done in other states
why would optometrist need to prescribe anti biotics????

mysteek

HSC
actually for EAS fee paying its around 91 or something..look in the prospectus from UNSW...I think EAS HECS is 98.15 Normally hecs without EAS is 98.30..fee paying without eas is 96.something..just check the figures..i think these r the ones for last yr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)