Optometry (1 Viewer)

sei

HSC
Originally posted by kaseita

and on the side, you get one to one interaction with your..."clients"... all the time! and you can chat about anything you like, seeing that the actual eye testing aint that hard or tedious
aint that cool? :p
might as well become a beautician or hairdresser then... it fulfills what you just said :)

...and i'm not sure that clients would be that willing to chat with their optometrist seeing as though they would rarely go there, it would be just some random person to them then, wouldn't it?

kaseita

sure they do

they don't fulfill that all other important requirement though :p

oh its pretty cool - it is pretty random, but you also find that the optometrist is a local as well, and always seems to be interconnected somehow with everyone else, so it aint bad!

much like those other 'jobs' you mention.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
No, with optometry there isn't much further you can go. Someone mentioned becoming a surgeon? You're thinking of Ophthalmic Surgery, which is a medical profession. That is, you'd have to start out as a doctor to do that. You could go on to become an optician though, they have less patient contact and handle the actual lens production.

If I'm wrong on anything, please, someone correct me?

yup yup
thats right.. my friend does optom.. and she said they passing laws now so that they let optometrists prescribe drugs.. all they have ot do is finish their cours eand like attened uni part time about the durgs thats all.. :) sounds cool :D

i wanna do optom too ! :d if my parents do the full fee :D:D:D

sei

HSC
are you serious? would there be any worth in that since there are hardly any drugs for eye problems (major problems are corrected via surgery and laser, minor with lenses), unless you're just talking about them giving eye drops and stuff..

I just don't see the reason to pass such a law for such an insignificant reason :rolleyes: make optometrists feel more special maybe? ;)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by sei
are you serious? would there be any worth in that since there are hardly any drugs for eye problems (major problems are corrected via surgery and laser, minor with lenses), unless you're just talking about them giving eye drops and stuff..

I just don't see the reason to pass such a law for such an insignificant reason :rolleyes: make optometrists feel more special maybe? ;)
you will be surprised!
you should go ask some older people with eye problems and the amount of drugs they need....it may not be the drugs your thinking about but they can include eye drops, some other medicines

most optometrists dont recomend laser surgery

optometrists are special, they are one of the very few professions where you need all three sciences, biology, chemistry and physics...
they are also the very few 'professional' people where if you want to get a government binding document, say a visa or something.....and you need a witness or a trustee
the only people you can get for it are doctors, lawyers, stockbrokers or optometrists!
how do i know this? my father is one and my cousin is in her 2nd year at unsw....

Last edited:
T

taketheredone

Originally posted by kimmeh
yup yup
thats right.. my friend does optom.. and she said they passing laws now so that they let optometrists prescribe drugs.. all they have ot do is finish their cours eand like attened uni part time about the durgs thats all.. :) sounds cool :D
maybe just let optometrists sell non-prescribe drugs ????

sei

HSC
Originally posted by redslert
you will be surprised!
you should go ask some older people with eye problems and the amount of drugs they need....it may not be the drugs your thinking about but they can include eye drops, some other medicines

most optometrists dont recomend laser surgery

optometrists are special, they are one of the very few professions where you need all three sciences, biology, chemistry and physics...
they are also the very few 'professional' people where if you want to get a government binding document, say a visa or something.....and you need a witness or a trustee
the only people you can get for it are doctors, lawyers, stockbrokers or optometrists!
how do i know this? my father is one and my cousin is in her 2nd year at unsw....
maybe most optometrists don't recommend laser surgery because they cannot profit from it (what do you need glasses for if your eyesight is corrected? I know what one i'd prefer) - same as a laser surgery firm would not recommend glasses..

i don't mean any respect to your father's occupation at all, but its great that it combines those 3 sciences, but in everyday practice optometry is administering the same basic test to everyone - the people who designed those test/s may have used the 3 sciences combined, but the actual optometrist's job is to administer the test and give them glasses, as such i don't see optometrists as particularly 'special'.

and that 'professional' thing you wrote was a joke. The reason I say that is because if you know what a stockbroker is you'd know that you can become one without any formal qualifications and practice as one, and as such the implication is that anyone can become one and therefore do that visa stuff.. :rolleyes:

I just don't see any relationship between optometrists (yes people who fit/sell glasses to you often at the local shopping center) and being a witness to government documents. I think what you are referring to is a JP (justice of peace), which people from all different professions can apply for it, not just someone from those 4 professions, and JPs can do that witness stuff you were referring to :)

kaseita

most optometrists don't recommend laser because they know what can go wrong

also, its not permanent - your eyes will begin to go again as you grow older, so it really aint worth it quite yet (not for its costs)

kheir

HSC
hey sei lay off m8 stop hammerin our dreams u sound like some one who juss missed out on optometry n is out for sweet revenge by the way that drug thing is veryinteresting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)