Options (1 Viewer)

needpapers

HSC
Which scales more - Quanta to Quarks or Astrophysics?

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
needpapers said:
why does it matter.. look, i don't even think they scale the options, rather they just mark them all to the same standard.. do whichever you find most interesting/benificial (or whatever your teacher has already choosen).

[sidenote]
LOL, at your user name... no matter how many past papers are made available people are always asking for more. you could give them all the papers that ever existed and they would still ask for more...

rather than just memorising past paper questions and answers,, you can try studying.
[/sidenote]

needpapers

HSC
me121 said:
i don't even think they scale the options, rather they just mark them all to the same standard...
Are you certain about that?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
needpapers said:
There is no such thing as scaling among different options (well, at least according to my teacher). Only variable among options would be the contents involved and different types of students are attracted to different options. That's why it seems that more people tend to get better marks in one option over the other. You should really choose (or hope that you get chosen) an option that interests you.

EDIT: As me121 said, all the exams would be marked to the same standard so no one takes advantage over the others by doing a specific option.

Last edited:

needpapers

HSC
OK, perhaps more specifically, is either option considered more difficult by the board (and hence scaled more)?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Physics teachers, always in search for the option with the most formulas ...

kattty said:
i dont think it would matter how each of the topics are scaled.

(im doing astrophysics.)
I thought so too theshortykatt.
I did Astrophysics too, courtesy of our pov school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kattty said:
astrophysics a cheap subject??? lol
i think we are doing it because it has connections to the prelim subject?

and whats with the refering to my account? lol
When do you start your option? Do you start it when you complete all the core topics?

By the way, I seriously didn't think you were the shortykatt, I had no clue.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
kattty said:
astrophysics a cheap subject??? lol
i think we are doing it because it has connections to the prelim subject?

and whats with the refering to my account? lol
not really, must agree with connections coz our teacher skipped most of cosmic engine in prelim so he covers it in astro instead.

and bos likes to know whos actually behind each account lol

kattty said:
yep. after we finish the first two cores, we will do two options.
you have to spend a certain amount of hours on each section.
You mean:

3 cores

Space
Motors & Generators
Ideas to Implementation

1 Elective only
One of:
Age Of Silicon
Astrophysics
Geophysics
Medical Physics
Quanta to quarks

me121

Premium Member
HSC
needpapers said:
OK, perhaps more specifically, is either option considered more difficult by the board (and hence scaled more)?
the board considers them all equal difficulty, and sets the examination questions to equal difficulty.

needpapers

HSC
I hate to be repetitive, but can you send me a link or something which proves this?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
needpapers said:
I hate to be repetitive, but can you send me a link or something which proves this?
Board of Studies NSW said:
Adjusting for variation in difficulty level of optional HSC exam questions

The inclusion of optional topics in HSC syllabuses allows students to focus on areas of greatest interest to them and provides topic choice for both students and teachers.

During the 2001 HSC, concerns were expressed that students would be disadvantaged by the level of difficulty of some option questions in examinations compared with others.

The Board has procedures in place to ensure that students are not disadvantaged for having chosen a particular option.

In setting exam papers all examination committees strive to make sure that optional questions are of similar intellectual demand.

They design related optional questions to assess a similar mix of skills at a comparable level of rigour. The demands of each optional question are then set down in the marking guidelines for that question.

During the pilot-marking phase minor adjustments can be made to the marking guidelines, making it more likely that comparable marks will be allocated to students of similar ability across different optional questions.

Despite these checks and adjustments, it is sometimes the case that an optional question turns out to be easier or more difficult for students than the others. In this situation a statistical adjustment is made so that the final distribution of marks for the question compares fairly with the mark distribution for the others.

As noted in the Masters report, the issue is not so much whether optional questions are equally difficult but whether students choosing different options are treated fairly in the marking if it is found that those options are not of the same difficulty.

The Board has a routine ‘marks monitoring and adjustment’ process that looks for any differences in the difficulties of optional questions and identifies cases requiring necessary statistical adjustment to marks. The process takes into account the performance of each group on the common sections of the paper. Where appropriate, statistical adjustments are then made to the spread of marks for each question.

This procedure is standard practice.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc_update_2002_02.html#adjusting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)