option:astro exams q's (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
i generally thought it was quite ok...

the 8maker got me thnking and i wrote as much bullshit about what u get work out from spectrum as i can...

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Yeah, I was happy until the 8 marker, that shut me down pretty quick. I basically did the same as you... just went on about spectras and rotational and translational velocity and density and composition and all that crap.

Otherwise it was ok, except for the one about the quasar spectrum. It was only worth one mark but I didn't get it at all.

^___^
HSC
for that u need to know the existence of quarsar...

which is that they are very far from us and travels away from us very very fast...

that that spectrum has red shifted a lot relatively to others...so this shows that it is a quarsar...

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Oooh ok....that would explain why I had no idea :) we never got taught what quasars were, unfortunately our teacher missed quite a bit of the syllabus from every section :p

Jimmay

i thought the astro part was pretty fair but what did u write for the surface temp of the star from its spectrum?? Wein's law?? and what did it mean by a specific example??

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Meh, I forgot about that. I had no idea, I wrote that different chemicals show up at different temperatures or something like that :) Completely pulled out of my ass though, so chances are it's wrong.

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Jimmay
i thought the astro part was pretty fair but what did u write for the surface temp of the star from its spectrum?? Wein's law?? and what did it mean by a specific example??
yea, thats what u need to cover...as well as stuff like working out if it is a binary..what type of binary...doppler effect...
yea, i forgot the method, so i shove Wein stuff in there, but it wa taken out fo the syllabus :\

Originally posted by Belle
Meh, I forgot about that. I had no idea, I wrote that different chemicals show up at different temperatures or something like that :) Completely pulled out of my ass though, so chances are it's wrong.

COLONEL SANDERS

UMM here's the thing I didn't talk about anything about the spectra of stars and their usefulnes like the density and rotational motion and chemical compisition and stuff...........

I misinterpretted the question and so wot u think I"ll get if I talked about

Colour index
Why visible light isn't absorbed
usefulness in telescopes in viewing stars
getting apprrant mag and absolute and hence distance using trig parrallax from the visual light..........

out of eight wot u reckon???

parry

colonel sanders i did that too, heheh i reckon about 0 from 8 for that. Until my stupid teacvher said to talk about all that stuff for that question i was happy with my exam, but theres 8 marks lostt already

^___^
HSC
hmm, u won't get 0...

if u talk about the use of spectrum and why and what for, u basically got urself a mark or two...

its just that if uwant 8, u need to state how useful it is...

Amish

HSC
N/A
I thought over all it was pretty decent...pretty much the same standard as last years hsc...thankfully not too hard :D

ghoolz

HSC
I thought that the Astro one was Vvery vague with what they were asking.

I hated that 8 mark question andn only wrote a page about bullshit. Another person in my exam wrote three pages of crap for it.

There was only the one large mark question I thought that they may have put in another 5 or 6.

It was all over now so thats that.

parry

if u talk about the use of spectrum and why and what for, u basically got urself a mark or two...

its just that if uwant 8, u need to state how useful it is...
Well thats kinda what i did. I missed the whole point of the question but i did say how useful it something had been in understanding of ellestial objects

Afro

Man i bullshited bout da whole usefulnes of studying stars.. Like how it has helped us determine our origins and will help us explore what is to come and life on other plantes and all dis shit man.. Is dat baad???

Xena W.Priness

Originally posted by Afro
Man i bullshited bout da whole usefulnes of studying stars.. Like how it has helped us determine our origins and will help us explore what is to come and life on other plantes and all dis shit man.. Is dat baad???
did the same thing, also for dat question with the example i gave the sun as an example, although apart from the option the test was pretty damn good!

Rahul

Dead Member
i didnt like the last one. lost some marks for sure.
i just linked it all to the good of humanity, etc..

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
i didnt like the last one. lost some marks for sure.
i just linked it all to the good of humanity, etc..
the man has answered!

though not the way i expected...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)